Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How impressive is a 315lb bench press?

Quote Originally Posted by -sin-
    Ive never benched 315 but I agree with Canadian Crippler. I think most men have the potential for a 315lb bench in their lifetime. They just don't know how to train or lack the dedication.

I bet Dave Tate and Louie Simmons could take almost any skinny dweeb thats never lifted before and coach him into a 315lb bencher. As long as he gave 100% effort, and trained and ate, how and when they said.
    Sin your talking idea situation, I would have to agree. But most people don't achieve 315 bench or 400 pd squats because of factors outside their actually physical ability. Ei 1. injuries, 2. motivation (after going from 130 to 300 I became complacent, lacked training knowledge to do different cycles of training) #3. Life gets in the way often.
    Last edited by bill; 03-06-2005 at 07:47 AM.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    The regular population do not train hard nor are they knowledgable. We are a minority. So to say they could if they posessed the smarts and dedication is a big what if.

What you are saying in another way is this. If you train hard, eat enough, get the right amount of rest and take the right supplements you can be 210 pounds at 10% bodyfat.
    No, that is not what I am saying. That is a totally different issue. I do not think anyone can be 210 @ 10%

What I am saying is that almost any person training smart, training hard, and having patience can attain a 315 bench press. I am not saying almost every person in the gym has attained this, nor am I saying that the everday person in the gym doing ****-all can attain it.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I agree with cc here, that it is physically attainable for most o fus. But I do doubt that most gym goers have the patience or dedication to reach that goal.
    Furthermore, from a bodybuilding perspective, someone who can bench 315lbs almost always looks huge, by the general standard of the population. I was reflecting on this when I saw a guy who was pretty big struggling with 250lb at my uni' gym. The people I see who can bench 315lbs are very large. Andre Agassi CAN NOT bench 315lbs.
    Hell my friends call me big and I can only bench 225lbs. The thing is not to get complacent.

I always find it humerous how people who do not come close to lifting big weight often talk about how 'anyone' can do the big poundages. Personally, I have hit a 250 lb benchpress @ 160 lbs, and that was after three years of training. The progress has slowed tremendously over the past six months, and I would be f-ckin estatic if I ever hit a 315lb bench press in my lifetime. The only guys I see in the gym hitting that kinda weight are big boys with either very impressive physiques or huge bodies.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max
    . The people I see who can bench 315lbs are very large. Andre Agassi CAN NOT bench 315lbs.
    Hell my friends call me big and I can only bench 225lbs. The thing is not to get complacent.
    why can't he lift that much?
    there are many powerlifter who are smaller than aggassi yet they can bench more and thats under powerlifting rules.

just becuase your big and only bench press 225 pounds. DOes not mean smaller people can;t.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    Starting out at 115lb bench press and a year and a half later benching 315 is by no means normal at all. In fact, that's probably the most outstanding progress on bench I've ever seen. I started out benching 140lbs and 5 years later and I still can't quite bench 315, and I've put on about 55lbs since then.

i started at a 100lb bench, and now i bench 275lbs.....ive been lifting for a year and 2 months
    CLEAN BULKIN' LIKE A VULKIN'!!

18 years old
    180lbs

Bench--300lbs (as of 2/23/07)
    Deads--415lbs (as of 2/20/07)

What's funny is that most people in the thread agree, and they just don't realize it. Could most people bench 315? Yeah, maybe they could. Will most people ever bench 315? No way. The conclusions aren't mutually exclusive.

CC, what's up with this?

That is a totally different issue. I do not think anyone can be 210 @ 10%
    I may never be able to bench 315, but I will someday be 210 at 10% BF. In fact, many people have been. How can you say that "I don't think anyone can be" when there are already people who are 210 at 10% (or less) BF?

Banned
    i think he meant, i don't think everyone has the potential to be, whereas more people have the potential to bench 315

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_mm
    What's funny is that most people in the thread agree, and they just don't realize it. Could most people bench 315? Yeah, maybe they could. Will most people ever bench 315? No way. The conclusions aren't mutually exclusive.

CC, what's up with this?

I may never be able to bench 315, but I will someday be 210 at 10% BF. In fact, many people have been. How can you say that "I don't think anyone can be" when there are already people who are 210 at 10% (or less) BF?
    Lol, ditto Chrispy. What I meant was most people do not have the potential to be that size.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

A few thoughts:

210 @ 10% is meaningless unless you give a height, it's damn impressive at 5'7, but borderline emaciated at 6'5

And I'm sure Andre can bench 315 if he says he can, Earl Boykins of the NBA's Denver Nuggets weighs 133 lbs (that's not a typo) and he can bench 315
    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/earl_boykins/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog
    And I'm sure Andre can bench 315 if he says he can, Earl Boykins of the NBA's Denver Nuggets weighs 133 lbs (that's not a typo) and he can bench 315
    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/earl_boykins/index.html
    Though this tidbit is all over the intarnets, I believe it about as far as I can shotput 315 myself. He is skinnier than me. I'd be impressed if he could properly bench 225.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Though this tidbit is all over the intarnets, I believe it about as far as I can shotput 315 myself. He is skinnier than me. I'd be impressed if he could properly bench 225.
    Yeah, I don't know how much I believe it either, haha, but it's not really something so important that he would have to lie about it. I'm sure he's done it in front of his teammates or whatever

I was just trying to show that you don't have to be huge to bench 315, I wouldn't consider myself huge at all, and I benched 315 months ago