The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Hehe.
    Grats on teh journal.

So I get some points for living in teh same state as you - right? :P
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

OK, rare journal appearance for me. Sorry as always for the continued neglect.

Thanks to Big Bri and Cocoa and Dedicated and everyone else for keeping me up.

Huge accomplishment this past week. Squatted 405 on Thursday. First time, 30# on my previous max of just 5 weeks ago. Unfortunately, my deadlift hasn't gone up. In fact, I've had a hard time even pulling 425. I've got one more max day planned for DL next Thursday and then won't max again until the day of the meet. Discouraging, yep.

I really need to work on my weak point, which is just off the floor 2-3" in the dead and about just an inch or two above parallel in the squat (getting out of the hole is no problem, it's maintaining that momentum.) Any suggestions out there?

All in all, my workouts are monsters, I'm not slacking. In the gym 4 times or more per week for a good hour and a half to 2 hours.

Hope you guys are all doing well. I'll be around.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Very happy to know that you are getting into the gym on a regular basis and doing fine with it - just keep on it, you'll plow through the sticky areas in no time - stay determined and work for it.

Thanks buddy. Can't stop this animal.

GMs last night. Maxed at 255.
    Weight is down to 188. I need to drop another 7 before the meet, I hate dieting.

Decided to limit my benching for the next few weeks. I have a bruised ulna and any exercise where my forearm is in compression hurts like an SOB. Luckily, I feel nothing when I'm pulling, so the Deads are fine.

Going to Max on DL next Thursday for the last time before the meet. Hopefully I can at least pull 450.

Max DL last night basically sucked. Pulled 405 fine but then missed 425 first time. Then pulled 425 but lost my grip on the left side right at the top of the lockout. I went for 455 with straps just for kicks. Got it halfway before I had to bail. I was definitely not physically right yesterday, but that's no excuse.

Tried some Dimel Deads for the first time and really love them. I'm going to incorporate them as my accessory on most ME Squat/DL days. Hopefully they can bring up my speed and strengthen my hammys so I can get through this DL plateau.

I also need to do some grip work. I haven't had a problem holding on to 425 before, I don't love it. Some of it has to do with my use of the eco-ball instead of real chalk. I just don't get enough friction with the eco-ball, but the gym won't let me use chalk anymore.

All in all, I still suck. But maybe next week I'll just bust a 455 squat or something. I'm nuts like that.

Love to y'all, haet to me.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Haet to you.

Anyhow.
    Keep plugging along and get your ass in gear and pull some weight.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    I also need to do some grip work. I haven't had a problem holding on to 425 before, I don't love it. Some of it has to do with my use of the eco-ball instead of real chalk. I just don't get enough friction with the eco-ball, but the gym won't let me use chalk anymore.
    Here is the uber-special rock climbing secret sauce:
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...ry_rn=40000054

Rock colored chalk! You can get grey color, which is probably the best bet for a gym. Better then eco-ball, and easily disguised. It's a little expensive, but good for ME lifts and can be happily used in conjunction with Eco-ball.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Expensive? I paid $5 for my eco-ball. This is cheap. Thanks Nash, I'm buying some right now.

And thanks to the haeter, frikkin chikkin leg mofo.

Let's see, anything to talk about work wise?

Well, killer DE day yesterday. Box squats and speed pulls and dimels oh my. Moving up on my pull-thrus and using a hook grip on the dimel deads to build up my grip overall.

Just under 5 weeks out now and weight is at 187. I need to make 181.75. No problem.

Yeah, but eco-ball lasts forever and I go through chalk like scarface does coke. You should see me climb. It's like pig-pen, with a swirl of dust around me at all times.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Good luck on the meet Drew...look forward to seeing you blast through like a bull, lol - you came back nicely bro.

Nash, that's hilarious. That's how I used to look on DL days before they took my precious chalk away.

Thanks CoCoa. I'm really just hoping I can get my first pull for 3 whites and then relax. I'm planning to open with 405 as I'm really comfortable with it. Then as long as I hit it, I'll go 425 or so, depending on how I feel. I don't expect a lot of 181's in the open class, which is fine by me for my first time.

And the comeback continues. As soon as I get through the meet I'm going to start hitting my chest and shoulders very hard for the first time pretty much since before the accident. Pray for me. lol.

So your powerlifting now? That's pretty cool. Goodluck.

Thanks D. It was definitely time. It's definitely a little more scary than bb'ing, but I love the volume, I love the feeling that I'm getting stronger all the time. I mean, my squat max has gone up almost 50lbs in a few months, and I still feel I can do more.

For now I'm just going to be in the DL meets, but hopefully by the end of the year I can get my bench to respectable levels and compete in both. I haven't found a full power meet nearby yet, so the squat will have to wait for now.

frIKKIN chIKKIN LEG MOFo?
    I don't know who you are talking to but it isn't me anymore.
    Drewdapoonanny.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

HAET HAET HAET...

Did DB bench for reps last night in place of an ME bench move. What a killer on the tris, they felt like they were going to bust out of my skin. ME leg day was supposed to be today, but will do it tomorrow instead.

...my squat max has gone up almost 50lbs in a few months, and I still feel I can do more...hopefully by the end of the year I can get my bench to respectable levels and compete ...
    You can and will do more in both the squat and bench press...rise to the occasion Drew -

HAET HAET HAET...

Did DB bench for reps last night in place of an ME bench move. What a killer on the tris, they felt like they were going to bust out of my skin. ME leg day was supposed to be today, but will do it tomorrow instead.
    Wow your triceps were that pumped up? Man I must not be working my triceps hard enough, it's been a loooong time since I've had pumped up triceps like that.

Thanks CoCoa, I think I've found a squat partner. He weighs a good 25 more than me and has been at it much longer. Hopefully I can learn something from him.

Dedicated, I haven't felt a pump like that in a long time myself. But if felt good.

Way to go duder.
    So where are the workouts?
    instead of:
    I worked out last night, I lifted 30 lbs. I slept.

OK, I'll start posting my workouts. Here's from Monday:

Speed Squats: 10x2x205 45 sec rests.
    Speed Pulls: 6x1x255 20 sec rests.
    Dimel DL: 3x5x185
    Pullthru: 3x10x60
    Standing abs: 3x10x70
    GHR: 2x10x45

Cardio: played with my nephew for 2 hours and then wiffle ball for 2 hours.

Yesterday was mental workout. Poker tournament for 4 hours. I came in 20th, not high enough to cash out. Tonight is ME bench.

ME bench:

Incline BB Bench with close grip: 5x95 3x115 3x135 3x155 2x175 missx190 1x190 (PR)
    DB Floor Press: 5x5x50's
    Fatbar Pushdowns: 3x8x60
    BB Row: 4x8x145
    Lat Raise/Front Raise SS: 3x10x10

Took everything I could muster to get that 190 up. My bench is still weak as hell, but a 5lbs increase is better than nothing, right?

Yup, any progress is progress. Nice effort.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Lots of people are getting into poker nowadays, lol...past couple of sessions are looking nice mang.

Thanks fellas. I got a big bad squat workout planned for tonight. Thinking 425.

Yeah, too many people are getting into poker. It's so dang hard to win a tournament when you have people playing anything and calling you all the way down and then catching a better hand on the river. It just plain sucks when you play a great tournament and come away out of the money knowing you didn't make any big mistakes.