Thread: Which muscles are best hit with higher reps?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Which muscles are best hit with higher reps?

I know that there are some muscle groups that a lot of people like doing high reps with. I've read that calves and abs usually perform well with high reps. What are all the other muscle groups that people like to use high reps with?

And, when you guys say that you hit a muscle group (like calves) with higher reps than most other muscles, how high do you go?...12?...15?...20?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-03-2005 at 05:07 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I think your forearms also.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Does anyone know any more?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-03-2005 at 06:47 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Off topic:

I nominate Fixation for the most new threads started by a person on a daily basis.

To answer your question, none and all.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

the kid from oz
    [QUOTE=Max-Mex]Off topic:

I nominate Fixation for the most new threads started by a person on a daily basis.

QUOTE]

hahah he remids me of reinier, reinier used to start a whole heap of new threads each day he was the spam king... other than tryska of course
    heh

Haha I just have lots of questions. And it seems like the questions just keep coming and coming!...Never-ending.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-03-2005 at 08:42 PM.
    Lifting Journal

the kid from oz
    haha no worries mate! there is no better way to find out than ask!

except maybe search? :P

Quote Originally Posted by bigedge
    haha no worries mate! there is no better way to find out than ask!

except maybe search? :P
    Yeah, I try to do that too.
    Lifting Journal

I don't train my calfs at all I just run and I'm satisfied with their growth (we have a lot of hills where I live). The only time I ever went through that whole 'my calfs won't grow' stage that so many go through was when I was doing calf raises. Oddly enough that wasn't the reason I stopped doing them though, my ankles were so sore from running I just didn't want to do calf raises and I saw how much they were growing and I said I'm never doing them again. I don't know if I'd say I recommend this since everyones body reacts differently but thats what I do atleast.

Thanks wrestlemaniac. That's what my dad does...he just runs and his calves are pretty sweet.
    Lifting Journal

I would say that muscles that are not used much by regular activity; abs, arms, etc. Muscles that are constantly used throughout the day, legs specifically, are just so used to be walked on all day that I can't see them responding as well to high-reps, but that's just my guess, I don't do high reps for any muscle group.
    Last edited by AKraut; 03-04-2005 at 07:52 AM.

Calves, abs, shrugs are all excercises where I do from 12-15 reps.

Almost everything else is in the 6-10 range.
    Last edited by Vapour Trails; 03-04-2005 at 11:26 AM.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Quote Originally Posted by AKraut
    I would say that muscles that are not used much by regular activity; abs, arms, etc.
    What do you mean? Abs are used a lot during regular activity as a stabilizer muscle.
    Lifting Journal

traps, forearms, calves respond better with higher volume for me. my routine allows them to be trained every 6th day, and is something like this:

forearms: wrist curls - 2 sets x 15 reps each set
    reverse wrist curls - 2 sets x 15 reps
    rope roll up - 25 lb plate x keep rolling til i cry
    Traps: DB Shrugs - 3 sets x 12-15 reps
    traps get hit on back day and shoulder day too anyways
    calves: standing and seated calf raises - total for 6 sets about 12-15 reps each set

although lately I've been trying lower reps and negatives on my calves individually, and it seems to be helping quite abit.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

For calves I do what Lyle McDonald suggested, I'll do sets of 8 and when at the bottom of the lift, just let it stretch for 2 seconds taking all stress off of it, then do the calf raise and hold it there for 2 seconds. When you get to 8 reps its burning like a mofo!
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Lifting Journal