Thread: New to lifting and would appreciate help

Wannabebig Member

New to lifting and would appreciate help

Hey guys I haven't started lifting yet but I am about to start soon. I plan on lifting at my house on mondays, wednesdays, and saturdays. I have a bench, some dumbbells, and a leg press machine. I'm pretty skinny and basically am just looking for advice on how to start. I have searched around, but figured it would be a good idea to get advice specifically for me.

Anyway, what I was wondering is what kind of lifts can I do with my equipment and how many reps/sets should I do? I'm sure this is what everybody wants, but I would like to gain mass pretty quickly since spring break and summer are coming up. Sorry if these questions seem kind of basic but I haven't really lifted before and I just need to know where to start. Thanks for the help guys

Banned
    first thing you do is eat.

your leg press machine, is it one that you can also do hacksquats in. if so do those as well.

first i would do like atleast 2 weeks or so of the basic 2 sets of 10 reps for your excercises to build a base. then you can move on to heavier weights only using 2 sets of 6-8 or so.

do db bench presses and inclines if your bench can incline. db squats. db deadlifts. weighted situps. leg presses. hack squats. db curls. tricep extensions. pullups if you can find something to do them on. db rows.

all you have are dumbells right?

you can check out wbb1 and do whatever you can, except with dumbells, since you don't have a barbell. but i would do atleast 2 weeks of higher reps lower weight to get you used to working out and used to the movements and such.

also if you don't know what some of that stuff is, or want to look up excercises go to www.exrx.net
    Last edited by Chrispy; 03-07-2005 at 02:49 PM.

Your bench would be more helpful with a BarBell. Since you're new, just start with basic compound lifts -- bench press, squat/leg press, deadlift, shoulder presses... chosing 3 days to workout is a good choice, because lifting only provides stimulation for muscle growth, eating and resting outside the gym is what making you grow.

My suggestion for your first 2 weeks is to do relatively light weight with 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps in a slow and control fashion. This will allow your body to get use to resistance training. Some people will give up a week or two because they don't like being sore.

By the way, do you have an adjustable bench?

Wannabebig Member
    Also I have some barbells like for bench press. I also have this pull up bar / dip / pushup combination machine. The bench isn't adjustable though. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I would like to get my bench up, I'm not sure exactly what it is right now, but I know it isnt very good. Should I do pyramids or what? Also, is it dangerous to lift until failure if I am just starting? Thanks for the help
    Last edited by pbplayer301; 03-07-2005 at 02:53 PM.

Banned
    i lifted to failure when i was just starting. that's all i know about that.

i forgot to mention shoulder presses. yeah do dips too. most of your excercises should be done with bb. squat, deadlift, bench. focus on those 3.

if you have a pullup - dip - and pushup station then that's even better.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok actually I just went and looked, and the bench is adjustable for incline but it doesnt decline. Obviously I should be eating a lot of protein, what kind of stuff do you guys recommend? Mainly I am concerned about breakfast since I don't really have time to get up and eat eggs every morning, what do you guys do for breakfast that is fast? I am buying some whey protein shakes for after workout, but other than that I assume just eat lots of protein? If there is anything else I am missing please let me know, thanks

Banned
    you could try a meal replacement shake/weight gainer shake for breakfast if you really don't have time. or if you don't even have time for a shake you can grab a protein bar on the way out or whatever.

There is a sticky thread in the diet section: "What a bodybuilder eats"