Thread: Bench Pressing in a Power Rack

Bench Pressing in a Power Rack

right now im still stuck dumbell benching, and for those who have read my journal i have a very ambitious year end goal for bench. so right now im pressing 80's for dumbells on my max, but i know that i will lose some doing an official barbell bench because of somewhat different movement. well actually, since im still at such a low level and it would allow some stabalizers to relax, i think (and i dont think this is just wishful thinking) that my barbell bench is probably within 5 lbs of my dumbell bench, maybe even 5 lbs higher.

but SOON i need to be barbell benching, and when i do so im doing them in a power rack. i just prefer no spotter and since i dont go to a gym and like training almost to failure at least sometimes... im doing them in a rack... so please dont try to talk me out of this.

only problem is, the safety bars on the rack i want look like they adjust in 4 inch increments, and i need to be getting within 1 inch of my chest for proper bench form. my plan is something like stacking plates on the bench to raise myself up as a whole and adjust that way using them and the safety bars so i could get under an inch away from my chest but still have the safety bars in case i get myself trapped, it seems pretty safe. question is, is there a better way to do this?
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 03-03-2005 at 06:28 PM.

My rack is the same way (probably most are) just use the hole that's just above the one that's to low

It's no big deal if it's a couple of inches above your chest.

power rack = bad for benching

power rack = bad for benching................Why?

because you cant get under an inch away from chest, imo. thats why i think i should stack plates on the bench

Can't you buy some straps that are made for racks, they go on the bar and act as a safety spot.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

plus you dont get your natural range of motion and you also dont use stabilizer muscles. not to mention the extra strain it puts on your shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapump979
    plus you dont get your natural range of motion and you also dont use stabilizer muscles. not to mention the extra strain it puts on your shoulders
    I think you are mistaken here, are you talking about a smith machine or a power rack?

just use a regular bench, when you do heavy reps ask someone to spot you, im sure they wont mind...and if your working out at home, get your father to spot you.
    CLEAN BULKIN' LIKE A VULKIN'!!

18 years old
    180lbs

Bench--300lbs (as of 2/23/07)
    Deads--415lbs (as of 2/20/07)

Banned
    I do this (barbell bench with a power rack)

Just set the sabers below your chest, and if you cant press the weight just dump it over your neck, and slide out

Your arms wont just suddenly go limp and crush your chest (I find), you will always have that little bit of power left to aim the bar

Pain in the ass unloading/reloading all the plates again though lol. I just stand on the bench and deadlift it back onto the pins, which probably is kinda dangerous lol

Just set the sabers below your chest, and if you cant press the weight just dump it over your neck, and slide out

That does not sound safe to me.
    NormanNormal's right, power rack NOT smith. Stack plates if you like, but imo one or two inches above isn't going to hurt in anyway.

ah sorry i thought you were talking about a smith machine. sounds like a decent plan for the power rack stack if you have to work out alone. do what you gotta do

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar

That does not sound safe to me.
    NormanNormal's right, power rack NOT smith. Stack plates if you like, but imo one or two inches above isn't going to hurt in anyway.
    That exactly what I do and it works just fine. When I was competing at powerlifting I had to dump some 500+ benches inches over my face. Its scary but as long as the safety bars are higher than your face but lower than your chest there shouldn't be a problem. Just work on arching your back alot and you should be able to touch your chest.
    Last edited by TheMachine; 03-05-2005 at 09:30 PM.
    I am often asked by people at the gym "How do I lose fat from my tummy so my abs will show"
    My standard answer: "Get drunk and find yourself a sharp knife"

Bodyweight: 205lbs
    400lb Bench
    350lb Incline Bench
    605lb Deadlift
    285lb Push Press

Quote Originally Posted by ZebraShu

Your arms wont just suddenly go limp and crush your chest (I find), you will always have that little bit of power left to aim the bar
    Yeah, I dont know man, that doesnt really sound all that safe.. you could end up planting it right in your face or break your teeth trying that. dunno

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Why not just set the pins at your chest; then you can just roll it off your chest towards your stomach.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Putting plates underneath you isn't a good idea at all. Are you talking about putting the plates on top of the bench and lying on top of them? That's going to hurt, f#$k up your form, and possibly lead to injury

I still don't understand why you think your barbell bench is only going to be +/- 5lbs from your dumbell number. Most people on here will say that it is around 25% higher, and I can personally attest to that figure. My last bench day was 7o's on the dumbell for 5 reps. By your line of thought, my barbell bench should be 145 at best. Just the other day, we messed around with the olympic barbell, and handed each other 135 and I repped it 7 times with ease. I know I could have done it as much as fifteen times, and this was without much of a warmup, and without a full recovery from the last chest workout. I know I can bench 185, and I'm pretty certain that i can bench 200, but I'l know for sure in a few weeks when we get our bench and rack. I think you're either underestimating yourself, or lacking somewhere like shoulders. I personally kill shoulders on thier own day, but not everyone does. I know it's helped me in all my lifts.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog
    Putting plates underneath you isn't a good idea at all. Are you talking about putting the plates on top of the bench and lying on top of them? That's going to hurt, f#$k up your form, and possibly lead to injury
    lol... I think he is referring to putting plates underneath the bench itself to raise it up slightly. I do agree though laying on plates while lifting would be quite uncomfortable.

lol, i was actually considering both of those of stacking methods, but yeh the underneath one is definately better.

Banned
    but then your feet might not hit the floor and you'll have to stack even more plates just so you can rest your feet on something. i don't know how tall you are though.

im pretty short; ive heard you can put feet on bench and still have proper form (though obviously less stability)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy
    but then your feet might not hit the floor and you'll have to stack even more plates just so you can rest your feet on something. i don't know how tall you are though.
    I dont think that would be an issue..

bottom line for the thread starter is just set the pins as close to your chest as possible without the bar actually touching you and then use plates under the bench to get you as close as possible.

i might also mention that if you put the plates in the right place the same plates that raise the bench serve to put your feet on.

Quote Originally Posted by jack_of_all
    im pretty short; ive heard you can put feet on bench and still have proper form (though obviously less stability)
    i seen alot of people bench like that. ive benched with my feet up in a crunch position before to see if it would make a difference