The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How a bodybuilder cuts, and how a wrestler cuts...

I just thought it was interesting how the two sports cut weight. It seems to me that Bodybuilders just try to get their body fat as low as possible so they have a more ripped look, while wrestlers just worry only about their weight. Meaning the day or two before a meet they fast/eat a lot less and watch their fluid intake or do a lot of running to loose water weight. Of course by the end of the season this gets really hard. At least, this is how it is done at the high school level; college wrestlers may be smarter and actually have the dedication to loose some body fat (or they may just try and cut even more water weight .

Anyways, so right now I weigh about 156, (I wrestled 135 this season, but my normal weight was around 140) and I'd like to wrestle the 160 weight class next year. Meaning from now to october I'd like to gain a good 10 pounds or so of muscle mass (along with A LOT more strength), then loose four pounds or so of body fat in october/early november (I have a bf % of about 12 % right now, do you think that could be done?) and just loose the two pounds of water weight before each duel (instead of the five I would loose last season). So my question is, what do I need to eat to do this? And not just gaining the ten pounds, but loosing the four or so in october/november? Right now I get about my body weight or more in grams of protein a day, and eat when I'm hungry and often when I'm not of seemingly *healthy* foods.

But when October comes around, what do I need to do to get that weight off? I tried cutting weight the *right* way before season this year, but it seemed really hard. I didn't count calories or anything (maybe that was my problem?) But I generally just ate healthier and tried it minimize the amount of fat I took in, and I didn't really loose any weight. I don't drink pop and I don't go to mcdonalds. Any advice from past wrestlers, or even someobody who knows a lot about nutrition?
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy
    I just thought it was interesting how the two sports cut weight. It seems to me that Bodybuilders just try to get their body fat as low as possible so they have a more ripped look, while wrestlers just worry only about their weight. Meaning the day or two before a meet they fast/eat a lot less and watch their fluid intake or do a lot of running to loose water weight. Of course by the end of the season this gets really hard. At least, this is how it is done at the high school level; college wrestlers may be smarter and actually have the dedication to loose some body fat (or they may just try and cut even more water weight .

Anyways, so right now I weigh about 156, (I wrestled 135 this season, but my normal weight was around 140) and I'd like to wrestle the 160 weight class next year. Meaning from now to october I'd like to gain a good 10 pounds or so of muscle mass (along with A LOT more strength), then loose four pounds or so of body fat in october/early november (I have a bf % of about 12 % right now, do you think that could be done?) and just loose the two pounds of water weight before each duel (instead of the five I would loose last season). So my question is, what do I need to eat to do this? And not just gaining the ten pounds, but loosing the four or so in october/november? Right now I get about my body weight or more in grams of protein a day, and eat when I'm hungry and often when I'm not of seemingly *healthy* foods.

But when October comes around, what do I need to do to get that weight off? I tried cutting weight the *right* way before season this year, but it seemed really hard. I didn't count calories or anything (maybe that was my problem?) But I generally just ate healthier and tried it minimize the amount of fat I took in, and I didn't really loose any weight. I don't drink pop and I don't go to mcdonalds. Any advice from past wrestlers, or even someobody who knows a lot about nutrition?

cutting is definitely not only about minimizing fat. In fact it is detrimental to eat little to no fat.
    In general, use fitday.com to log your calories, and make sure you're eating maybe -500 calories than 12*your body weight. For example, if you weigh 200, you eat 12*200-500 = 1900 calories.
    Make sure you eat 1-1.5g protein for every lb you weight, and about the same carbs. Fats should be somewhere between 20-30% of your total caloric intake.

PLEASE do searches around on this forum about cutting before you ask more questions; there's tons of info available.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Thanks for the input, I'll try using fitday.

I was also kind of asking how many of you have experience cutting in both sports, for instanced you wrestled in high school, then after that you got into bodybuilding, and what your input was on each sports general method of cutting.

I wannabebig!
    easy

bodybuilding = cut to lose the fat
    wrestling = lose weight

Banned
    The thing about wrestling or any sport that has weigh ins is that you really only want to be losing water weight, or not eating much before hand so you can superficially decrease your weight. When someone cuts weight to make a weight class they aren't actually competing at that weight when it comes time to fight/wrestle/row/whatever. The rationale behind that is you want to maintain all your actual "mass" (fat/muscle) and just manipulate your hydration levels. Bodybuilding is about being a "true" weight. In general when you're cutting you're trying to maximize fat lose and minimize muscle loss. Water weight is fairly moot unless you're stepping on stage or doing a photo shoot.

Adopting a bodybuilding style cutting routine for a sport such as wrestling is not a good idea.

from my experience, as far as wrestling goes, you wanna have a little bit of fat, if you get down to like 10% bf or lower; you will get ****ED up. when you have little to no fat, you lose padding; it will hurt more to get slammed around, easier to get injured. if you REALLY wanted to, you could lose 5-10 pnds of water weight before weigh ins.
    bodybuilding=no fat
    wrestling=little fat, no water
    :alcoholic

Trying to get a sixer Ellocodetroit's Avatar
    When I wrestled in college and HS I was at about 6-8% BF I wrestled @ 125lb. I was a strong wrestler I benched 215 and I had no problems with losing weight or gaining weight. I also was never slammed to the mat cuz my opp.. could not slam me. I'm currently at 12% and weighing 160. When you jump from 135 to 160 in one season to another you might find it hard adjusting to the competition. 160 pounders are most likely orginally at 175-180. Just think Bernard Hopkins vs. Trinidad. My philosophy since I wasn't the best tactical wrestler was to out muscle my opp. So my goal was to keep my BF low and get strong by gaining muscle. You can still do it. People say muscle weighs more than fat(which is true). But if you gain 10 pounds of muscle and lose some BF and lose water weight than its a benifit and you'll be monster especially if your a great tactical wrestler. Gain 10 pounds of muscle lose 10 punds of BF and water its a wash.
    Weight 170 lbs. 5'5"
    Bench: 275 @ 1 rep
    Squat: 225@8 reps
    Dead Lift: 265@ 8 reps
    Ellocodetroit Online Journal

The problem with losing water weight and fasting before a match is that when you gorge yourself before a match, YOU DON'T GAIN ALL OF YOUR STRENGHT BACK. When I would spend a day cutting and lose 5 pounds before a match, and I wouldn't eat very much the day before/of, I would be mentally and physically exhausted. 6 minutes of wrestling were usually hell on days I had a hard time making weight, when I know I was better conditioned then that.

My point being, I would have no energy if I cut weight during wrestling the *traditional* way, so this year I was going to loose more body fat. I also beleive this is more healthy, despite not having as much "padding." Falling alseep the day before a meet was usually hell; I would have dreams about drinking gatorade, and wake up with horrible cotton mouth.

And from what I've seen and had happened to me, injury usually occurs when you're not wrestling at the intesity level that your opponent is (this is especially true in practice), and has little to do with how much body fat is on you. I've seen plenty of fat, beefy heavyweights get bones broken to know that fat isn't always your friend in protecting you; It slows you down, and leaves room for less muscle.

Anyways, I not only want to gain mass, I want to get a lot stronger. Right now my bench is around 155, clean 170, and squat 255. Do I need to be focused more low rep, high weight lifts in the 5-8 range or more in the 8-12 range? Or should I just work on a two month period of just gaining mass then do more strenght oriented lifts after that?

Sorry if this is kind of in the wrong board. :-p
    Last edited by Hazerboy; 03-17-2005 at 08:57 PM.

Trying to get a sixer Ellocodetroit's Avatar
    I think WBB routine #1 would be a perfect wrestling lifting program. It doesn't take much time, You gain small mass(perfect for not gaining to much weight), You get stronger, You have more time to do cardio where you can lose some BF.
    Weight 170 lbs. 5'5"
    Bench: 275 @ 1 rep
    Squat: 225@8 reps
    Dead Lift: 265@ 8 reps
    Ellocodetroit Online Journal