Thread: Help with DB press...

Help with DB press...

So here's my problem...I can incline DB press 35's really easily, likes 12 reps no problem. However, when I try to do 40's I can't even get the weights into position without help. Once I get them set I can do 8 reps or so, but I always need someone to help me get them up. Is this normal, or do I need to work my triceps more to help get the weights up?
    Last edited by Collegekid; 03-07-2005 at 08:57 PM.

That's normal. Just think how hard it would be to get a barbell in place the way you do with DBs. Just keep getting a spot.

you'll get used to the new weight... but it may seem like you have weak shoulders

Wannabebig Member
    How are you getting the weight up? Do you bring the DB's to your shoulders before you get on the bench, or try to do it once your on?
    Height: 5'8" Weight 220

Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as a reality-in your own mind.
    - Bruce Lee

Adversity cause some men to break; others to break records.
    -William A. Ward

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
    -Vincent T. Lombardi

I sit on the bench with the DB's on my thighs, then kick them up to my shoulders. That's not a problem, it's from there getting my arms extended that is the problem. After I get my arms extended with the weights I can press them.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Use momentum (stand up with DBs, sit down and use momentum to throw up on shoulders, and use that momentum to push em up)
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Wannabebig Member
    Then how low do you bring the DB's once you start? They should be coming back down to where you started, how do you get them back up? Just curious how you have issues with the initial press and don't after.

- Bruce Lee

-William A. Ward

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
    -Vincent T. Lombardi

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordo
    Then how low do you bring the DB's once you start? They should be coming back down to where you started, how do you get them back up? Just curious how you have issues with the initial press and don't after.

I always find the first rep is the hardest, after that, I can squeeze off a few. some people are like that.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Yep, because you are starting the first rep from much lower. It's probably really bad for your rotator cuff without a spot to get them up to the start position.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig Member
    I'm sorry guys, but when I do db inclines I don't start any lower on my first rep than I do the rest of the time. If anything I start with the db's a little higher since I have them resting on my shoulders. I bring the weight up before I get on the bench. I clean the db's to my shoulders and then sit down. Found it a lot easier than trying to knee up the weights. It makes sense that the first rep might be harder than the next few because you are starting from the down position and the muscle is not on stretch and loaded from bringing it down. It would be the same as starting with a BB on your chest. I was just wondering how low he brings the db's down. One of the benefits from db's is that you can get a fuller ROM than with a BB. If he is going full ROM then it doesn't make as much sense that he wouldn't be able to press the first rep but be able to get 8 after. I understand that everyone is different and no one rule applies, I was just wondering if it was a technique issue more than a strength issue.

- Bruce Lee

-William A. Ward

-Vincent T. Lombardi

I wannabebig!
    i dont know, i find it hard to imagine doing 35's easily but not being able to get the 40's in place, I would say yes you have some weak shoulders, weak rotator cuffs, or you are going about getting the weight in position the right way. If you are not already doing so put the db's on your knees and kick them into position.