The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oi, props built, lookin lean
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Built's post should win an award.

Fixation - you are 15. Your dad is just trying to do his best to protect you from hurting yourself, and most of the time, he's going to be right. If you really want to involve him in what you do, tell him WHY you train, and what your goals are. Tell him that strenght training is generally very good for people. Tell him that for people your age, this kind of activity can be correlated with lower incidence of alcohol and drug use. Tell him you operate within limits, and show him you are not being OCD about it. Tell him that the things you learn about discipline in your lifting applies to schoolwork.

Don't fight with him about it. He's not saying you can't do this, he's just operating on some old myths, and of course, concern about your well being.
    Well said Paul. It's easy to forget that your folks usually have your best interest at heart. Educate them, be rational, and keep that in mind.

You'd be surprised at how much misinformation is out there. My brother in law suggested I stop lifting or not try to build muscle because "when you get older it all turns into fat. I explained to him that it was physiologically impossible. Eitherway, I'm still amused.

and built....DEAMMMMMMN!
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

You must admit that more of the reason we do heavy weights is ego, and not health. At some point you are putting more stress on your body then you normally would have. Lot of people don't reach the point where it matters though.
    Fix- your defintatly not at the point where you have to worry about this. Also being young helps.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Built's post should win an award.

Fixation - you are 15. Your dad is just trying to do his best to protect you from hurting yourself, and most of the time, he's going to be right. If you really want to involve him in what you do, tell him WHY you train, and what your goals are. Tell him that strenght training is generally very good for people. Tell him that for people your age, this kind of activity can be correlated with lower incidence of alcohol and drug use. Tell him you operate within limits, and show him you are not being OCD about it. Tell him that the things you learn about discipline in your lifting applies to schoolwork.

Don't fight with him about it. He's not saying you can't do this, he's just operating on some old myths, and of course, concern about your well being.
    When I said "more than the body can handle," I meant that I push myself to the max (which IS what my body can handle), and that the next time i lift, I'll be able to handle more.

I know how he must feel though (actually, I probably don't since I've never been a parent). I tried talking to him about it. He still doesn't really believe me. He kind of said: "Okay, whatever. It's YOUR body in the end."

*shrug*
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Yes your bodies do have limits....... it's called your genetic limit, and takes YEARS to get to. Tell him that. Also tell him of Dr. Squat, Fred Hatfield. He never had a knee problem in his life and squatted over 1000 lbs.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I'm 41, and I'm a chick.

I squat what you do.

Tell him that.

Hehehehe...
    Damn I am jelous.

Whoop his ass.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    Whoop his ass.
    Actually, he'd own me lol. I'm 15 and just starting to lift, so he's still much stronger than me. But I'd venture to say that in 1-2 years I'll be stronger than him.

He uses the Bowflex, hehe. That's no match for free weights and olympic lifts! Tons harder than pulling on strings!
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-08-2005 at 09:24 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I don't know your Dad. But beware of people that are strong not from weights. Theres alot milwrights and construction workers with forearms that would put us to shame. That is real strength.

yea, and this picking up iron and putting it down stuff is FAKE strength. You have been warned, now go put on some shingles and get your more REAL strength.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Lol you guys are funny.
    Lifting Journal

Disciple#1
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I'm 41, and I'm a chick.

I squat what you do.

Tell him that.

Hehehehe...
    All i can say is Damn!!!, there is one lucky soab out there

Now that has made my day. Excellent work built, hope i can look that good (though for a guy) when i'm at 41
    You never know what you can do, until you try to do more than you can.