Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeez...my dad is driving me crazy with his talk about how "lifting heavy is bad"

Hybrid View

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Jeez...my dad is driving me crazy with his talk about how "lifting heavy is bad"

I couldn't help but just tell someone that I made sweet gains with my Squats today (10 lb. increase, hehe). I always make gains (usually 5 lbs. a week), but I just wanted to tell my dad. After telling him how much I was squatting today, he went into this whole freaking lecture about how if I keep doing Squats, my spine will eventually become crippled or something.

One of the dumbest things he said was this: "When you Squat, your goal shouldn't be to keep increasing the weight that you lift and eventually be lifting hundreds of pounds." I was thinking to myself: "Uhm...actually, that's EXACTLY what my goal is."

He also said: "Just do more reps as you progress, not more weight. That way, you can be healthy and you can still be strong." I kept trying to tell him that doing more "reps" won't really increase my strength at all, and he said: "That's okay. I'd rather you be healthy and be able to lift a decent amount, then to be unhealthy and lift a lot."

Wow...he acts like I shouldn't be lifting hard and stuff. Also, he runs everyday. Isn't there proof that running (slamming feet into the ground) puts more pressure on the spine than squatting ever does?

Btw, I rep 140 lbs. when doing Squats, and my dad said: "Don't lift very much more tha nthat, because our bodies are supposed to have 'limits.'" I was trying to tell him that I'm nowhere near my bodily limit for squatting (or any other exercise). I told him that I AM careful and take precautions (wearing belts, using correct form) and he tells me that I'm eventually going to be walking around like a cripple. Eh...my dad seems kind of confused.

Another thing I told him was that if I don't lift and don't strengthen my back, my chances of back injury will probably be even HIGHER when I'm at an older age. He just doesn't listen to me...

Is there a link or any proof that I can show to my dad that squatting is bad for you, and that running puts just as much (if not more) pressure on your spine/back? I keep trying to tell him, but he won't stop annoying me. Jeez...how can I get him off my back? (lol, funny because this whole argument started about "backs")
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-07-2005 at 08:24 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    Not sure what to say in your situation but I am lucky to have a dad that wants to push me into getting into better shape. When I come home and tell him the gains I have made he gives me more of a "Thats all? You should raise that by 5 pounds next week!" kinda thing (motivation) than a "Slow it down. You shouldn't be lifting that much. Not goo for you."
    Age-16 (17 on 4/2/05)
    Height-5'11"
    Weight-230
    -----------
    1 Rep Max (as of 3/27/05)
    -----------
    Bench-210
    Squat-300
    Powerclean-205

Quote Originally Posted by Hopetobefit
    Not sure what to say in your situation but I am lucky to have a dad that wants to push me into getting into better shape. When I come home and tell him the gains I have made he gives me more of a "Thats all? You should raise that by 5 pounds next week!" kinda thing (motivation) than a "Slow it down. You shouldn't be lifting that much. Not goo for you."
    Yeah, that's exactly how I feel when my dad keeps telling me that I shouldn't lift "more than the body can handle." Gee...well, thanks for the encouragement Dad.

I wish my dad could understand more about weightlifting, like your dad does. How can I educate him upon this so that he can stop telling me that I shouldn't be lifting heavy?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Yeah, that's exactly how I feel when my dad keeps telling me that I shouldn't lift "more than the body can handle." Gee...well, thanks for the encouragement Dad.

I wish my dad could understand more about weightlifting, like your dad does. How can I educate him upon this so that he can stop telling me that I shouldn't be lifting heavy?
    Well, he's right in a sense. If you lift more than your body can handle, you're likely to injure yourself. That's why progress in weight lifting is good...so your body can handle more.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    Just don't talk to him about your progress.
    Age-16 (17 on 4/2/05)
    Height-5'11"
    Weight-230
    -----------
    -----------
    Bench-210
    Squat-300
    Powerclean-205

Just don't talk to him about your progress.
    I won't anymore (have learned from experience now not to), but still. He thinks I am "damaging my body" by squatting a lot.

He told me: "You shouldn't be pushing your body more than it can handle." Yeah, well...how am I going to grow if I don't push myself? Jeez...
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-07-2005 at 08:30 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Your supposed to push your body to the limits (resonably) in order to make gains. You can't expect to stay the same (weight wise) and see gains after awile, unless there was some factor being changed. I don't know but some quote comes to mind "If you always do what you've always done. You'll always get what you've always had." Not sure if thats any good but it kinda says it. That kinda says if you don't push yourself and that if you don't change things you will stay the same and I guess that would apply to weightlifting as in other things in life. But your best bet is to search on the internet showing studies of how lifting heavy (heavy being used loosly as weights you know you can handle) can help you in the long run.
    Age-16 (17 on 4/2/05)
    Height-5'11"
    Weight-230
    -----------
    -----------
    Bench-210
    Squat-300
    Powerclean-205

Your supposed to push your body to the limits (resonably) in order to make gains. You can't expect to stay the same (weight wise) and see gains after awile, unless there was some factor being changed. I don't know but some quote comes to mind "If you always do what you've always done. You'll always get what you've always had." Not sure if thats any good but it kinda says it. That kinda says if you don't push yourself and that if you don't change things you will stay the same and I guess that would apply to weightlifting as in other things in life. But your best bet is to search on the internet showing studies of how lifting heavy (heavy being used loosly as weights you know you can handle) can help you in the long run.
    Thanks. That's what I was looking for. It's not like I'm loading up over 200 pounds and trying to squat it when I'm not even strong enough to do it yet. I'm steadily progressing 5-10 lbs. a week. I've already tried looking up something on the Internet that could convince him otherwise. I haven't found anything worthwhile yet, but I'll try again.
    Lifting Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Not sure if this helps at all, but I did a search and found this website with some information on the topic of "Light Weight vs. Heavy Weight." I didn't read it all, but I did scan through it and maybe I missed some things but it had some points you could maybe tell your dad or maybe print out and give to him for him to read.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/tr...vy-lifting.htm
    Age-16 (17 on 4/2/05)
    Height-5'11"
    Weight-230
    -----------
    -----------
    Bench-210
    Squat-300
    Powerclean-205

Not sure if this helps at all, but I did a search and found this website with some information on the topic of "Light Weight vs. Heavy Weight." I didn't read it all, but I did scan through it and maybe I missed some things but it had some points you could maybe tell your dad or maybe print out and give to him for him to read.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/tr...vy-lifting.htm
    Thanks, that article has some good points that I could show to him.
    Lifting Journal

When I told my dad that I deaadlifted 300lbs, he said "All the weight on that big bar?"

Then he said.."So Patrick, what are you gonna do with all of these new muscles?"

I had no answer, and still don't. I do it first and foremost for stress relief. The gains in size and strength are a much-loved bonus I suppose.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Hm...I work out for strength and size. Stress relief is a good bonus too, except it kind of defeats the purpose when my dad and I argue about how "lifting heavy is bad." Hmph...if only my dad could understand.
    Lifting Journal

Ignorance can make for some smash-my-head-into-the-wall moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I'm 41, and I'm a chick.

I squat what you do.

Tell him that.

Hehehehe...

Damn built, that made my afternoon.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I'm 41, and I'm a chick.

I squat what you do.

Tell him that.

Hehehehe...
    Damn I am jelous.

Disciple#1
    I'm 41, and I'm a chick.

I squat what you do.

Tell him that.

Hehehehe...
    All i can say is Damn!!!, there is one lucky soab out there

Now that has made my day. Excellent work built, hope i can look that good (though for a guy) when i'm at 41
    You never know what you can do, until you try to do more than you can.

Wow, Built is spreading her evil all over this board!
    I like it.

my dad once told me to wear belt when squatting over 135lbs... then one day i told him i did 455 w/o a belt and it felt great, i thought he was going to pass out. he thinks i should wear a belt to bench lol, hes funny.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Haha, nice built. And I'm gonna show him that article that hopetobefit gave me, and hopefully he'll understand a bit more.
    Lifting Journal

remember where your dad is coming from. he might be ignorant but he is honestly afraid that something bad is gonna happen to you, it will be hard to convince him that you wont.

Banned
    so your dad has no experience/background with athletics and weight training?

Uh Built ? um, uh, yeah.