The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Threaded View

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Jeez...my dad is driving me crazy with his talk about how "lifting heavy is bad"

I couldn't help but just tell someone that I made sweet gains with my Squats today (10 lb. increase, hehe). I always make gains (usually 5 lbs. a week), but I just wanted to tell my dad. After telling him how much I was squatting today, he went into this whole freaking lecture about how if I keep doing Squats, my spine will eventually become crippled or something.

One of the dumbest things he said was this: "When you Squat, your goal shouldn't be to keep increasing the weight that you lift and eventually be lifting hundreds of pounds." I was thinking to myself: "Uhm...actually, that's EXACTLY what my goal is."

He also said: "Just do more reps as you progress, not more weight. That way, you can be healthy and you can still be strong." I kept trying to tell him that doing more "reps" won't really increase my strength at all, and he said: "That's okay. I'd rather you be healthy and be able to lift a decent amount, then to be unhealthy and lift a lot."

Wow...he acts like I shouldn't be lifting hard and stuff. Also, he runs everyday. Isn't there proof that running (slamming feet into the ground) puts more pressure on the spine than squatting ever does?

Btw, I rep 140 lbs. when doing Squats, and my dad said: "Don't lift very much more tha nthat, because our bodies are supposed to have 'limits.'" I was trying to tell him that I'm nowhere near my bodily limit for squatting (or any other exercise). I told him that I AM careful and take precautions (wearing belts, using correct form) and he tells me that I'm eventually going to be walking around like a cripple. Eh...my dad seems kind of confused.

Another thing I told him was that if I don't lift and don't strengthen my back, my chances of back injury will probably be even HIGHER when I'm at an older age. He just doesn't listen to me...

Is there a link or any proof that I can show to my dad that squatting is bad for you, and that running puts just as much (if not more) pressure on your spine/back? I keep trying to tell him, but he won't stop annoying me. Jeez...how can I get him off my back? (lol, funny because this whole argument started about "backs")
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-07-2005 at 08:24 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!