Thread: body fat measurement variation

Wannabebig Member

body fat measurement variation

When I joined 24 hour fitness back at Thanksgiving, they measured my bodyfat for me and came up with 23%. It has been impossible to get them to measure it for me again without a major hassle, so I bought some calipers and did it myself. My left side seems a bit fatter than my right, but I ended up with between 13.6% and 15.6% using a 7 site test. If I average the left and right side measurements I get 14.7%.

I could very well be doing this wrong, but that seems like a huge jump. I was prepared to be happy with sub 20% numbers. I think I look a bit better than I did 5 months ago, but I weigh almost exactly the same (195). I can definitely lift more weight than when I started, though.

Does this seem right? In a few weeks I can measure again with the same calipers and get a better idea of change, I guess.

What sort of hassle are you getting from 24 Hour Fitness? You're the customer; they should be catering to what you want.

Wannabebig Member
    They make you schedule at least 24 hours in advance and it takes at least 30 minutes because you have to get measured and then endure them trying to sell you personal training. They never have any appointments available when I'm already there, so I just gave up on it.

hah trhey probably overestimate on purpose...calipers are ok but i like the pulse testers. they are fairly accurate depending on how much water you have. but who cares what your bodyfat pct is? just get it off

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapump979
    hah trhey probably overestimate on purpose...calipers are ok but i like the pulse testers. they are fairly accurate depending on how much water you have. but who cares what your bodyfat pct is? just get it off
    I want to make sure it actually is coming down, to know whether or not I need to adjust my diet. I'm trying to lose bodyfat without doing a full-on cut (I enjoy eating too much), so the going is slow. I've basically just started lifting with some cardio and only slightly changed my diet. Given that I'm lifting more and my body fat is down a bit, that means I can keep eating the stuff I like.