Thread: Help or suggestions with deads, squats

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Help or suggestions with deads, squats

Hi all,

First post here..new to the forum.

My situation is this. I was born with spina bifida which has really screwed me when it comes to deads and squats. To summarize: my left calf muscle measures 15" while my right is non existant at 12" because I cannot bend or flex my ankle properly to work the muscle.

This has effected me when doing deads and proper BB squats because I cannot get the proper leverage or power to lift heavy weights and lose my balance quite easily. I am basically working with one calf muscle!

However, squats on the hack machine are fine and heavy deads(385+) starting from the rack are okay since I am not starting from the floor and have much better balance this way.

So the question is: Is it better for me to use light deads from the floor which is "proper" rather than much heavier deads from the rack? Squats as well....light proper BB squats or heavy hack machine squats?

Thanks in advance!

I would just stick with what you can do with proper form. Hack squats are good throw in some other exersises for your quads too. It wouldn't hurt to do light deads from the floor. So there's no way to train you're one calf? You could always get a calf implant

Wannabebig New Member
    I have actually look at implants but of course $$$$! I can't even do calf raises as the left leg(ankle) simply does not bend to give full range of motion. It has to do with the tendons in my leg or something..I think I can get some kind of tendon lengthening surgery.

Will light deads from floor work more muscles than heavy from the rack? I wonder..

I also do leg presses as well.

Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    I have actually look at implants but of course $$$$! I can't even do calf raises as the left leg(ankle) simply does not bend to give full range of motion. It has to do with the tendons in my leg or something..I think I can get some kind of tendon lengthening surgery.

Will light deads from floor work more muscles than heavy from the rack? I wonder..

I also do leg presses as well.

Thanks for the advice!
    I was just thinking of the light deads so you could get the full range of motion in there sometimes. Deads from the floor are probably going to hit your hamstrings more-but you can make up for that by training them other ways. Rack pulls + some lighter deads from the floor should be a good move.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    I was just thinking of the light deads so you could get the full range of motion in there sometimes. Deads from the floor are probably going to hit your hamstrings more-but you can make up for that by training them other ways. Rack pulls + some lighter deads from the floor should be a good move.
    Thanks HanhB. I'll try to mix it up a bit rack and floor.

Banned
    just do both man.

like say you only wanna do a max of 3 sets of deads. do 1-2 from floor and the rest rack. or vice versa. same a squats. go ahead and do both.

:withstupi

Yeah, just do both. Maybe doing the lighter deads from the floor will increase your ankle flexibility over time.

Props to you for not allowing your limitations to discourage you.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220