Thread: Deadlifts for first time, some Lat pain??

Wannabebig Member

Deadlifts for first time, some Lat pain??

Hi there

I did deadlifts for the first time today at the gym. I warmed up with one set, using just the olympic bar, then wacked on a 10kg plate on each side and did 3 sets of 8.

it wasnt very easy, and it wasnt too hard either. I kept my back nice n straight (or rather slightly arched, as it should be) and the lifts went quite smooth without any pain at all. i just struggled on the last rep of each set, which was good.

but having come home now, it feels as though there is a cramp in the right lat, at my back.

i dont think its anything to do with bones, cuz when i stretch, it gets slightly better, but then comes back again. also, its obviously only on one side, so it cant be the spine or discs or anything can it??

tomorrow is my squat day. hopefully if this pain goes by 2mara i shud be ok. if it persists, du think i shud do squats or any training 2mara on that note??
    The important thing is not to stop questioning!

Deads and squats should be pulled apart by days as much as possible.

I think the load may have been too much. I don't know if you warmed up or not but you probably pinched a muscle.

You are not working your lats when you deadlift. There should be almost no strain in them if you are doing them properly. If you are feeling them, you may be rowing the weight, which is a BAD idea.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

You're (or shouble be) using your erectors, rhomboids, traps, etc. but NOT your lats.

Same here.
    If the bar aint bending your just pretending!!!!

My journal!

Wannabebig Member
    cheers

i can feel some soreness in my lower back today, which is probably right. its healthy soreness.

but my right side lat is still pinched, but getting better already. i think i must have accidentally yanked it or something. will have to warm up much more next time

Quote Originally Posted by aSCeNDeD-aSiaN
    When I totally stretch at the end of the rep I also feel my lats
    ??????????

Explain that please.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Yea so I still don't get it. What do you mean by "stretch". I'm never stretching anything when I'm at the top of my dead (conventional or sumo). Hell, everything is being "squeezed". Are you trying to pull your elbows back at the top? If so, you're better off dowing BB rows.

Glutes, hams, quads, lower back, spinal erctors, traps and forearms are the primary muscles being worked. Lats aren't even listed as being any kind of stabilizer, even though I'm sure they plays a small role.

Using deads as a lat builder is just worthless IMO. There are far better lifts that hit the lats much more effectively.
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 06-01-2004 at 04:12 AM.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Wannabebig New Member
    Lats are definitely stabilizers, because your shoulder blades are having a lot of action. The lats are being used in any movement when the shoulder blades are being pulled backwards/downwards.

Although deadlifts are not a primary movement for lats, they develop the entire back region.

Wannabebig Member
    man, i am feeling well sore after them deadlifts. lower back, my traps, and some of my neck, and my hams. feels good tho.

just gotta wait now for this bastard right lat to recover from that pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Biceps_Blitz
    Lats are definitely stabilizers, because your shoulder blades are having a lot of action. The lats are being used in any movement when the shoulder blades are being pulled backwards/downwards.
    Yes, but the majority of the work is done by the traps and rhomboids.

Sorry to be a pain about this, I just have an issue with people who "feel" deads in their lats. I feel deads in my lower back (pumped for the most part), traps, glutes hams. I have never once felt anything happening in my lats.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

I'm with Max. Let me reiterate that I think anyone feeling deads in their lats is probably doing something wrong.

I'm with max-mex on this. It sounds like maybe you didn't just let your arms "hang" for the deadlift, and may have pulled up with your arms a tad. I never feel deads in my lats either.
    "Color outside the lines"

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebu
    I never feel deads in my lats either.
    Neither me.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.