Thread: Critique my routine....I want opinions from the "experts"

Wannabebig Member

Critique my routine....I want opinions from the "experts"

Hey,

First post here, but I'm by no means a newbie to weight lifting. I'm not die-hard obsessive about it but I like staying in shape, cardiovascularly and strength-wise. With the work-out listed below, I'm looking to build strength and "get big."

Anyway, let me start by saying I don't take any creatine/steroids/any supplements except occasionally some whey protein after a workout. I just believe in being all natural, and I respect those who are all natural much more than those who are not.

That being said, while I have been working out for a while, I feel like I am still pretty unknowledgeable when it comes to planning a routine that WORKS.

Here's what I have...I want to know from the knowledgeable people (who perhaps are personal trainers for a living) if I am over-working or under-working muscle groups on certain days or if the sequence of my work out should be tweaked.

Here we go...this is the exact sequence I use....so please comment if the order should be changed.

Tuesday is a chest/tricep day...here's what I do.

Decline bench press, warm up 10,8,6
    Three sets at about 5-6 reps.

Incline bench press, warm up 10,
    Three sets at about 6-7 reps

Flat dumbell bench, no warm-up
    Three sets at about 10 reps. (sometimes I do just regular barbell bench press, and if I'm doing this, the order changes to flat bench with a warm up, decline bench, incline bench).

Dips, warm up 10.
    2 sets with a 25 pound weight, about 20 reps
    1 set with a 45 pound weight, about 12 reps
    1 set max reps, no weight, about 25-27

Tricep pull-down, no warm up
    3 sets at about 12-15 reps each

Tricep exercise:
    Not sure the name of the next exercise that I do, but it's another tricep exercise in which you work one arm at a time, first kneeling on the edge of a bench with your back parallel to the bench and extending the weight 8 times, then putting the dumbell over your head and lowering it then extending it vertically, 8 times, then laying on your back, holding the weight straight up in the air, and lowering it to your chest, keeping your forearm perpendicular to your trunk....this is repeated with the other arm. that is one set, no rest in between the 8 repetitions of each set. I do three sets together.

Core development (abs).
    This varies, but it almost always last 30 minutes.

Thursday is a Back/shoulder/bicep day:

Bent over row, regular grip, warm up 10, 8, 6
    3 sets at about 6 reps

Bent over row, wide grip, 1 set at 15 reps

Seated barbell shoulder press (NO back support or anything like that). Warm up 10, 8.
    3 sets at about 6-7 reps

Shoulder press is super-setted with pull-ups (not chin ups), standard grip.
    Warm up 10, then 10 reps in between each shoulder press set with a 25 pound weight. Then one set with no weight at the end, max amount.

Seated Row, no warm up.
    3 sets at about 12 reps

Incline dumbell curls or 21's or standing EZ curl, no warm up
    3 sets at about 10

Chin-ups, super-setted with the curls.
    3 sets of 10, then max reps at the end

Wrist curls, regular grip, no warm up
    3 sets at about 12-15

Wrist curls, reverse grip, no warm up, super-setted with regular grip wrist curls.
    3 sets at about 12-15

Core development:
    Varies

Friday is a Leg/back day:

Power clean: warm up, 10, 8, 6
    3 sets at about 5 reps.

Squat: warm up, 10, 8, 6
    3 sets at about 6 reps

Dead lift: warm up, 10, 8
    3 sets at about 5 reps

Standing calf raises (on the edge of a platform with the bar on your shoulders as if you were doing a squat), warm up, 15, 12.
    3 sets at about 12 reps

RDL: warm up, 10, 8
    3 sets at about 10 reps.

Shrugs: no warm up
    3 sets at about 12 reps.

Posterior delts??
    Again, not sure what this exercise is called, i believe it works your posterior delts...it's when you're standing up straight, have a dumbell in each arm at your side, and then keeping your arm straight, you raise it so your extended arm is horizontal to the ground, perpendicular to the body, then you lower it and do the other arm. No warm up.
    3-sets at about 12-15

Core development-varies

Saturday I repeat the chest/tricep work out, and rest on sunday/monday. So overall it's 4 days a week.

I have not been running, although I should be...I will get back into that soon and do that on the days that I don't run...the weather here in boston is miserable and cold, and I don't like having to fight for use of the indoor track, and i've been congested lately...i hate running when I can't breathe.

I know that there's some flaws with the schedule...for example, doing deadlifts/power cleans/RDL's the day after a shoulder/back day seems like it's too much and doesn't let the muscles "heal" enough. Also, I'm not sure if that posterior delt workout should instead be on a shoulder day and not the same day as deadlifts, etc.

I guess that this is the underlying question: is it better to work the hell out of a set of muscles (such as chest and tricep) on the same day and only do that work out once or twice a week, or is it better to do a little bit of each muscle group multiple times a week? Clearly my workout is designed with the former in mind...but is this right? Again, I really am not that knowledgeable when it comes to the order I should be doing this stuff in.

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR SUGGESTIONS!

ps...if any of you guys were wondering, here's my "performance" on the last lacrosse lift test...

5'9", ~168 lbs.

250 bench, 315 squat 4 times, 42 dips, 20 pull-ups...I wasn't tested on dead-lifts but can do othem at 245 about 3 times, power clean I can do 155 4-5 times, shoulder press I can do 145 about 5 times.

If I had to say what I'm least satisfied with, it'd definitely be my bench...I was hoping for 265. But I separated my shoulder back in thanksgiving and did not give it sufficient enough time to heal, and it seems it's sort of still holding me back. I have not progressed on bench much at all, even though I've been doing it consistently all throughout the fall/winter.

For those of you who actually read through the entire (extremely long) post, thank you, and I appreciate the help.

-Marc

Trying to learn on the fly
    your tricep exercise sounds like a kickback

my opinion of the workout, it sounds decent. i would rearrange things so that you can do deadlifts with back since they are a great back exercise but have time between back and legs. but you need to try it and see if it works for you. what someone will suggest works for them but may not work for you. some people like high volume while others like HIT. find what works for you and go with that

Banned
    It's not a good workout. Lower the volume and stick to the 4-6 rep range. The rotation is horrible.

You only need one to two sets of warm-up per exercise, otherwise it's a waste.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tucker
    It's not a good workout. Lower the volume and stick to the 4-6 rep range. The rotation is horrible.
    Can you give me a suggestion for which rotation I should do?

By lowering the volume, you mean doing less specific exercises each time I go? The problem with that is that I really do NOT have the time to go to the gym more than 4 days a week....I'm up at school (Tufts University) and have ridiculous amounts of work and other obligations...

The reason I like to consolidate legs/back on one day and the other stuff on another day is because I, like most others, like the "pump" feeling I get after having a heavy day of arm-lifting...and if I don't have that feeling, the workout to me SEEMS like a failure...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcAF1986
    The reason I like to consolidate legs/back on one day and the other stuff on another day is because I, like most others, like the "pump" feeling I get after having a heavy day of arm-lifting...and if I don't have that feeling, the workout to me SEEMS like a failure...
    First. Forget about the pump. The pump is merely blood trapped within the muscle fiber. It's not always related to a "Good workout". Overload is the key to a good workout. Overload may be coupled with "the pump" but not always.

why is it a bad workout? is high volume really that bad? many people have had great success with high volume workouts. if i remember correctly, arnold, the god of bodybuilding, used high volume. i admit that some people also find that lower volume works better but that is why i said he should try it and see how it goes.

i agree that the pump should not be the goal of a workout but if it makes his workouts better, more to him. if you do not enjoy your workout, then you won't progress as well as you could. even if that means doing kickbacks, you should make your workout enjoyable.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralDan
    why is it a bad workout? is high volume really that bad? many people have had great success with high volume workouts. if i remember correctly, arnold, the god of bodybuilding, used high volume. i admit that some people also find that lower volume works better but that is why i said he should try it and see how it goes.
    Arnold took enough steroids for a small herd of cattle.

i agree that the pump should not be the goal of a workout but if it makes his workouts better, more to him. if you do not enjoy your workout, then you won't progress as well as you could. even if that means doing kickbacks, you should make your workout enjoyable.
    He sounds like he wants the biggest amount of gains in the least amount of time. With only 4 days a week available to train, he needs a very efficient workout with the weights.

He sounds like he wants the biggest amount of gains in the least amount of time. With only 4 days a week available to train, he needs a very efficient workout with the weights.

then are you sure that his body will respond the better to low volume than high volume?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralDan
    then are you sure that his body will respond the better to low volume than high volume?
    Chris Tucker...what sequence would you use???

Again...define "high volume" vs. "low volume..." i'm not too up on the terms, I rarely talk about weight lifting, I just do it....just wanted some advice from some knowledgeable people.

Admiral Dan...how come the tricep work out at the end is a kick back? what do you mean by kick back?

Also, 4 days a week at the gym is quite a bit...or at least I thought it was?!? You guys go every day???? that just sounds like a recipe to become fatigued...

My main concern is that I'm always progressing...I don't care so much how I look or anything like that...I just want to be able to increase in every exercise, all the time...I'm not trying to get really "big" all of a sudden before summer...I've been in pretty good shape my whole life, and have been lifting weights (although not nearly as intense until th is fall) for about 2 years now. I've progressed quite a bit, but I want to progress more.

Can someone give me a suggested sequence of work outs?

And again...is it better to over-work a set of muscles only once a week or only work them a little a few times a week?

high volume is lots of sets for each body part and low volume is fewer sets for each bodypart. i was just saying that the exercise that you were describing sounds like an exercise called "the tricep kickback". i would reccommend wbb1. it is balanced and works for a lot of people. i would also suggest reading as much as you can. the more you know, the better off you will be. it might be a little lofty of a goal to progress "all the time", but you can aim for it. if it was that easy to progress all the time, the feats of strenght that some accomplish on this site would not be so spectacular. as far as your last question, like i said before, it varies from person to person. some people get best results from working each muscle once a week while others get best results from working each muscle twice a week. you neet to experiment and see what your body responds to better