The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starting Jiu-Jitsu Monday...Advice?

Any words of wisdom or advice? Also..I'm currently bulking..how bad will it affect my bulk?
    Our great war is spiritual. Our great depression is our lives.

Weight: 185lbs
    Height: 6'0
    Bodyfat: 14%

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Full of himself.
    I would say keep limber. If you dont stretch regularly, this is a great time to start. As for your bulk, try to figure out how many calories you're expending and make the appropriate changes to your diet-for example adding another meal. Good luck man.

Be humble if you think you're tough. Strength is but a fraction of the required skill set necessary to succeed.

i concur

humility is key when training

be respectful and attentive

if you start rolling right away, just relax and don't worry about "winning".

have fun, it takes a certain type of person to walk into a school in the first place. good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by excokehead
    i concur

humility is key when training

be respectful and attentive

if you start rolling right away, just relax and don't worry about "winning".

have fun, it takes a certain type of person to walk into a school in the first place. good for you.

Thanks bro. The way I look at..I'm fixing to start doing alot of things I've always wanted to do, but either had an excuse not to or was just scared. I'm young (20) and I'm afraid if I don't do it now I'll wake up one day and be too old, surrounded by a white picket fence with a fat bon bon eating wife and some screaming ass brats.
    Last edited by Gumby; 03-09-2005 at 08:25 PM.

How old are you man?? Just curious. Jiu Jitsu is awesome. Like some of the other people said stetch and be respectful. My advice is to make sure you stay hydrated, if your bulking then eat alot more because you will burn a lot of calories, and watch everything. You wont go in there and be able to kick everyones ass the first time around. So be patient and watch every move the instructors do. O and have fun.
    NOW
    Age - 25 Weight - 275 Height - 6'4" BF% - to high

Bench Press: 370LBS 11/13/06
    Squat: 135 X 6 11/7/06 (bad back, just working on form)
    Deadlift: 400LBS 11/10/06

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    Any words of wisdom or advice? Also..I'm currently bulking..how bad will it affect my bulk?
    I have a few questions. Who is your instructor? Is he a Black Belt? If not what black belt is he affilated with? How many times a week do you plan on training?

A couple suggestions I will make. Don't be afraid to ask questions to your instructor or fellow students. Every school I have been to is very friendly and welcoming.

Learn to tap! You will be tapping alot in your first few months. Do not get discouraged and do not be one of those guys who refuses to tap and get his arms broke or gets choke out.

Buy or rent some BJJ or sub grappling DVD's. It will give you a good idea of what to expect and what to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by nate allan
    I have a few questions. Who is your instructor? Is he a Black Belt? If not what black belt is he affilated with? How many times a week do you plan on training?

A couple suggestions I will make. Don't be afraid to ask questions to your instructor or fellow students. Every school I have been to is very friendly and welcoming.

Learn to tap! You will be tapping alot in your first few months. Do not get discouraged and do not be one of those guys who refuses to tap and get his arms broke or gets choke out.

Buy or rent some BJJ or sub grappling DVD's. It will give you a good idea of what to expect and what to learn.
    To quote some of his bio..

"During his martial arts career, Mr. Parra Flores has had the opportunity to learn other styles of martial arts which include kung fu, Japanese karate, hapkido, taekwondo, boxing and jiu-jitsu. He has obtained his second degree black belt in tang soo do and taekwondo. He and his students have been involved in local, national and international competitions."

Yeah I have no problem tapping out. I really wanted to take Muay Thai but the drive is too far from here, so Jiu-Jitsu it is I'm not in it to feed my ego I'm in it to learn how to defend myself better and experience new things in life. Thanks for the advice bro.

3:16
    listern and enjoy it. its good fun. and when it hurts and your tired. suck it up and keep going.

try to relax and not use power to you picked up some of the technique better.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    so he dosen't have a Black in JJ...

that dosen't mean he dosen't have somethign to teach but I would be a little skeptical

are you signing a 1yr contract ?

Quote Originally Posted by Holto

that dosen't mean he dosen't have somethign to teach but I would be a little skeptical

Yeah, I dunno. He said he wasn't the only instructor. Not alot of info posted on the web site but on the phone I did ask him if it was more of a bjj or japanese jj and he seemed to know his stuff pretty well. So I guess we'll see Monday

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    it seems in MMA the length of time training dosen't mean much

there are tons of guys on here (myself included) that have studied for more years total than some of the successfull MMA competitors

I would also guess that MMA training is more like boxing where you can do it several hours a day several days a week as opposed to traditional schools where you have several 1hr classes each week

Belts are meaningless. As Bruce Lee said, "Belts are made for keeping your pants up."

Quote Originally Posted by Holto

Black belts in BJJ are very rare, if this is indeed BJJ. I'm sure there are more in the states, but in Canada, where this is quite a large MA scene, there are probably only 4-6 black belts total.

Best thing is to ask what family or school he is affiliated with. Examples would be Gracie, Nova Unaio, Machado, etc...

You can train BJJ for years and remain a white belt, blues are generally very suitable as instructors.

As for advice, I would say when you go in, just stay focused on the technique. Try to apply all that you learn without using all your strength. Strength is good to have, but it can compensate for sloppy technique. So if you can learn to apply techniques without having to use all your strength, you will be that much more prepared againsted someone stronger or more experienced than you.

Also, don't get discouraged if you can't make anyone tap. It can take months sometimes, if you are at a good club. Or until the next n00b walks through the door.

Good luck, prepare to have purple biceps.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

You can always go to www.bjj.org to check the instructor's lineage, if he's a real BJJ instructor.

Other than that I agree with what ElPete said.
    Last edited by AstronautJones; 03-10-2005 at 12:44 PM.

3:16
    As pete said BJJ black belts are rare unless you live in brazil. At the moment we have a black belt over here and he kicked my ass last night and I out weigh him by 60 pounds.
    So do not worry when a smaller guys makes you tap, your find out how skillful some of this stuff is when you do it.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Quote Originally Posted by AstronautJones
    You can always go to www.bjj.org to check the instructor's lineage, if he's a real BJJ instructor.

Other than that I agree with what ElPete said.

This site is very out of date when it comes to lineage.

Quote Originally Posted by body
    As pete said BJJ black belts are rare unless you live in brazil. At the moment we have a black belt over here and he kicked my ass last night and I out weigh him by 60 pounds.
    So do not worry when a smaller guys makes you tap, your find out how skillful some of this stuff is when you do it.

There are alot more BJJ black belts in the United States then their was a few years ago. I would say thier is atleast 200 legitimate black belts in the U.S with California and Florida having a higher percentage then most states.

Where in Tennessee are you?

I found three BJJ black belts in Tennessee.

Helio"Soneca"Moriera in Nashville

Pedro Brandao in Knoxville

Brad Hatcher in marysville

Both Soneca and Brandao are excellent instructors and have worked with both of them and they are good people. Both are Carlson Gracie Jr. Black Belts.

Brad Hatcher I have never met but I know his instructor Luiz Palhares so I have no doubt in his abilities.

There are Numerous purple and blue belts in the states under Palhares, Pedro Sauer, Jacare Calcavanti, and Soneca.

I would atleast have the instructor be a purple belt, because blue belts can be to hit and miss with some very good blues and some very bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by nate allan
    This site is very out of date when it comes to lineage.
    Actually I've noticed he updates it pretty regularly, with Ralph Gracie's students anyway, since that is where he trains. You can always contact him with any new updates, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

It is by FAR the most complete list that I have seen though.
    Last edited by AstronautJones; 03-10-2005 at 04:13 PM.

Also, I agree with Nate in that you probably want at least a purple belt as an instructor.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    woot I found a place that teaches MMA. and each art changes places depending on the days. but they teach BJJ and muay thai, I'm showing up on sunday to check out the muay thai but I'm going to start both once this term ends
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Quote Originally Posted by crazedwombat
    woot I found a place that teaches MMA. and each art changes places depending on the days. but they teach BJJ and muay thai, I'm showing up on sunday to check out the muay thai but I'm going to start both once this term ends
    Awesome, let us know how it goes. I plan on updating after I go Monday with first impressions.

A few notes, some from my own training and some from a pro fighter that whooped my ass grappling and some from senior posters at Bullshido.

-Tap early, no use risking your joints.
    -Focus on position first. Position before submission.
    -Relax.
    -Breathe.
    -Go with the energy instead of fighting it all the time.
    -Make a training log.
    Search up Lloyd Irvin and get his email listing thingy, I have heard many positive reviews on his method of training and I have begun making training logs of my own training sessions.
    -Have fun.

Great advice, much appreciated. I'm really just hoping this guy is the real deal, because its the nearest jiu-jitsu class to me and its still not that close. The only other thing close to me I would consider taking is Hapkido..everything else around here is TKD.

-Edit-
    There's an MMA school in Nashville which is too far for me to drive 4 days a week. The instructor there is definately the real deal.

"Ed Clay
    Ed has been training in different forms of martial arts for many years. He began wrestling at age 11 and boxing at age 13. He has won national and international tournaments in Brazilian JiuJitsu and has been a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for over four years. Ed spends most of his teaching time training the fighters and other instructors at the gym. He is undefeated in Mixed Martial Arts competition and is currently ranked #13 in the world by Shooto."
    Last edited by Gumby; 03-12-2005 at 10:39 AM.