The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Home Gym

Wannabebig Member

Home Gym

Hey guys, I want to start up a home gym, so that I can work out. I already have a set of 20-50 lb dumb bells x 2 with a rack. What else do you think I would need?

Luke

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

adjustable bench (one to go under the power rack), power rack, 300lb olympic set

with those you can do most anything you need

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    A pullup bar!
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

What they said along with a rack that works well for bench, military press and squats. If it has a pulley system for pulldowns and tri excercises even better. The adjustable bench might come with a preacher curl attachment which is okay(better then nothing) and a leg ext. attachment which isn't bad. Combine that with at least 300 lbs of plates and your off to a good start. All the above is what I have at my home gym but with closer to 450 lbs of plates so there's lots of options. A plate rack is nice as well.

-Tim

Wannabebig Member
    All i have is an adjustable bench and a set of weights......thats all you need.......oh yea and a cd player!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VAHunter50CAL
    All i have is an adjustable bench and a set of weights......thats all you need.......oh yea and a cd player!!!!
    Well, if you don't want your lats to grow to full potential (with pullup bar), and also if you don't want your legs and the rest of the body for that matter to grow to full potential (power rack), unless you squat without a rack. But if that's the case, then yeah that's all you need.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Well, if you don't want your lats to grow to full potential (with pullup bar), and also if you don't want your legs and the rest of the body for that matter to grow to full potential (power rack), unless you squat without a rack. But if that's the case, then yeah that's all you need.

Have you tested this theory??
    If you can get a pull up bar then by all means get one but there are other back excercises.
    Oh yeah I dont have a rack but I do db squats, bb hacks, lunges. Plenty of potential can be reached without pull ups or a squat rack.

Quote Originally Posted by JesseM
    If you can get a pull up bar then by all means get one but there are other back excercises.
    Oh yeah I dont have a rack but I do db squats, bb hacks, lunges. Plenty of potential can be reached without pull ups or a squat rack.
    I actually have. I used to do lat pulldowns as my lat exercise, and it didn't do a whole lot for me...not as much as I would've liked. Then, when I started doing pullups, my strength went up a lot more than doing lat pulldowns. And same thing when I switched from Leg Press machine to Squats.

But I agree with you that the exercises you mentioned can still do a lot for you. I just prefer to do it the best way.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-10-2005 at 06:07 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseM

db squats dont work for very long since there's limited amount of weight you can add and your legs will quickly outgrow what you can hold on dbs. lunges are good but not as good as true squats. you dont need a rack for it but it makes life easier. pull up bar is important, plus with a rack you can up the safety pins and do dips with them.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -