The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

bulking up = loss of endurance?

well now its off season and im gonna bulk up. im 115 lbs and im gonna go up to around 130-140 but do u think that i will lose some endurance to do the muscle mass ill gain since i plan on haveing big bulky muscles? if i do lose endurance its no big deal since ive been wanted to bulk up since june but never knew how until just recently.
    weight: 155?
    height: 5'9"

-LONGER TERM GOALS-
    benchpress: 275x1
    military press: 160x1
    deadlift: 405x1

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Your not only going to gain muscle, but fat as well. So your endurance will probably drop a bit. Don't worry about it though; it's a cycle. A vicious one at that.

Off-Season for what? If you're that low in weight it MUST be wrestling.......

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Well, what is your endurance level now? You wont lose endurance, per say, but your endurance gains may be hindered.

This should be a long response, but I'll try to condense it. Ok, all other factors being equal, bigger muscles create decreased aerobic endurance.

Now, I am sure a lot of you are getting all upset, please read exactly what I said.

An individual has a finite limit to his capacity to deliver oxygen to working muscles, and for those muscles to utilize the oxygen. So, if an individual increases his muscular size, thus increasing his oxygen consumption, without increasing his stroke volume (maximum amount of blood pumped per beat) or his muscle's ability to use the oxygen they are delivered, or both, his aerobic endurance will decrease. If he increases stroke volume, oxidative capacity of the muscles, or both, as he increases his muscular size, then aerobic endurance can remain constant, or even increase. This can continue until the muscular size of an individual outsrips the other 2 factors mentioned, then any increase in size will lead to a decrease in aerobic endurance.
    Last edited by chris mason; 11-18-2001 at 09:31 AM.

but not that small either
    115? Damn, I can curl you.

Anyways, ya you will lose a bit of endurance when you bulk up. I've been bulking for a year now, and I get tired very easily. If I run for 50 feet, I'm out of breath. If you do some cardio while bulking your endurance won't be as bad as mine.

Some Dude
    If you're only planning to put on about 20 lbs you shouldn't lose very much endurance. Gain slow and right and you shouldn't even put on much fat. I wish I weighed 115, my daily protein intake would be simple then...
    "Intensity for Density!"

its off season for track and my goal is to bring my wiehgt up to 130-145 by april or may
    Last edited by Joe Black; 11-25-2001 at 04:56 AM.

-LONGER TERM GOALS-

Your endurance actually will probably increase, you just won't notice the difference. The resason your endurance seems to decrease is that you are carrying around all that new weight- a lot of it being non-working fat. Just imagine running at your present weight with a backpack full of weights. Thats what its like.

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    i'ts a myth that getting big w/ muscles makes u lose endurance. i used to weigh 103, but now i'm 140, and i actually have more endurance (altho i still can't do long dist like xcountry runners). i seem to have less endurance when i cut cuz i take in less carbs, than when i'm bulking, when i take in more carbs.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 11-25-2001 at 04:56 AM.
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

You'll lose endurance if you stop training for endurance.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 11-25-2001 at 04:59 AM.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    115 lbs??

Really?

I haven't weighed 115 since about the 5th grade!

Are you tall?

I mean, what are your stats?

That simply amazes me. I mean absolutely no offense.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

WELL IM ABOUT 5'4-5'5 NOT QUITE SURE AND I WEIGH ABOUT 115, I DONT LIKE BEING A LIGHT WEIGHT ANYMORE SO I DECIDED THAT BULKING UP TO 135-145 SOUNDED LIKE A REASONABLE GOAL. I WAS IN X COUNTRY JUST RECENTLY AND I COULDNT GAIN TO MUCH WEIGHT , BUT NOW X COUNTRY IS OVER AND ITS OFF SEASON SO NOW I CAN GO ON A BULK. 140 LBS MAY NOT SEEM LIKE ALOT TO MOST OF U BUT FOR ME IT IS AND IM DETERMINED TO REACH MY GOAL.

-LONGER TERM GOALS-

Think of it this way. If you go from 115 to 140 you'll have increased you mass by 22%! A very formidable accomplishment!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I think some jackasses are forgetting that they weighed 115 at one point. Good for you and good luck with the bulk!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

3:16
    you could do a cycling machine at the same rate when you put on weight, though running would be harder not as you have lost endurance rather the fact that if i put a 20 pound wieght on my back i would find it harder to keep up with my former pace.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

115 isn't a lot. Thats how much i weighed when i was a junior (16yrs old)in HS. Remember ppl come in various sizes and shapes. thats what makes the world extra special haha j/k...
    "Pumpin ain't easy"

shredder good luck in your goals. I hope we can help you to reach them!

By the way if this thread looks a little shorter than it was i ereased a lot of unnessary posts..
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

THANX ALOT FOR ALL THE SUPPORT EVERYONE

-LONGER TERM GOALS-

If youre talking about muscular endurance then it will not decrease. More muscle means more strength which will increase your muscular endurance to a certain extent.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Here's one reference that supports my post.

American College of Sports Medicine. The recommended quantity and quality of exercise for developing and maintaining cardiorespritory and muscular fitness, and flexibiity in healthy adults. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 30(6):975-991, 1998.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo