The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Someone please ease my pain.

Ok so I've been lifting for a year and half. I did'nt get serious until like 8 months ago. Well I was just wondering if anyone ever feels discouraged when they see " Stacked " aka " Juiced " aka " Users " lifters benching 2-3 times their weight. Its very discouraging because I am pretty much all natural except Creatine. I work so hard and lift so hard and eat so well, and these guys can take a cycle and be monsters. Its almost just not fair. Sometimes i just wanna use and be huge like the rest of these guys, but i've always said i would never do that. I think the only reason i would ever do it, would be because i'm tired of
    them looking at me and thinking they are so cool and so much stronger. I 'm not saying that all users are like this, but there are ALOT of them that are. So can anyone kind of fill me in on your opinions and how it makes you feel in the gym.

ALSO, how are really able to tell the difference between natural and someone that has been on a couple of cycles? what are the significant effects?

Thanx alot to everyone. I hope I did'nt upset anyone. I just was expressing my feelings.

Ryan

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

dont get upset at other people. if anything, use them for motivation.

second, the gym should not be a competition between anyone but you and the weights that say you can't lift them.(yes the weights at my gym have mouths and tell me i can;t lift them.)
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

:withstupi
    just keep pushing urself and making gains and remember what u started out as and then u can see how much u've progressed, and if u do choose to ever get "on", remember that it's not a magic serum, u still need to put out monstrous amount of effort at the gym and u still need to eat like a madman and even then u won't turn huge overnight!
    Just keep pushin and u'll get to where u want to be!

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Wannabebig New Member
    I really hate when someone is natural lifting 2-3 times their weight and people accuse them of juicing because that person thinks he's really dedicated but he's not .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

You can usually tell by their delt and traps. Those are the first areas that grow when on a cycle due to the amount of receptors.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Yeah, I hate those dirty roid users.

They're all bastards.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    Yeah, I hate those dirty roid users.

They're all bastards.
    But pretty. Sometimes. Sometimes, not so much.

Just like everybody else...

i would say dont worry about those people...worry about what you can control YOU...just push yourself to your limits....

If you feel like that, then you must for some reason feel in competition with these guys. It doesn't bother me at all when I see guys who are obviously using. They've made their choice and it's no better or worse than your choice to stay clean.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

We make decisions about our bodies based on what we want to look like and the risks we're prepared to take to achieve that end.

I can appreciate the assisted bodies while remaining natural myself. There's more than one definition of beauty.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawl
    I really hate when someone is natural lifting 2-3 times their weight and people accuse them of juicing because that person thinks he's really dedicated but he's not .
    :withstupi just because somebody is lifting a lot doesn't automatically make them juicers. Just because your dedicated doesn't mean someone else isn't.

You should really be concerned with what you're doing. That's the only thing you have under control.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Very good posts all around. The gym should be about YOUR progress and that's it. You can't expect too much in 8 months bro.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Quote Originally Posted by 3doz
    :withstupi just because somebody is lifting a lot doesn't automatically make them juicers. Just because your dedicated doesn't mean someone else isn't.

Never said it did man. That is why at the end, I asked what some obvious effects from using. I did'nt say that natural guys could'nt lift 2-3 times their weight. I think that would be some pretty serious dedication. I will continue to work hard and achieve my goals. It was just something that was on my mind. Thanx for all the encouragement.
    Last edited by FighterInSnatch; 03-21-2005 at 08:14 PM.

Lift for you, not for those around you. Work harder than anyone around you. Then work harder than that to work harder than anyone for miles and miles. I'm not exposed to juicers, so I'm the strongest one in my highschool so I have the opposite of your problem. Just give it Hell, and make YOUR gains.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Sounds like you're still relatively new to lifting. Just keep training hard, and training smart, and constantly improve. Like someone said earlier, rather then getting discouraged by the guys moving big weight, get inspired and motivated by them.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Sounds like you're being far more judgemental of them than they are of you.

Like these guys said.... lift for yourself. Know how far YOU'VE come. And realize that someday, with dedication, you too can be accused of juicing.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial
    And realize that someday, with dedication, you too can be accused of juicing.
    Haha, that would be the day...
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

fighting Kryptonite
    Ann Arbor, MI during school...Niles, MI for now
    i was afraid to work out at first because being a girl I always got "the look" as I came into the weight room. By "the look" I don't mean a good one...it was more like.."What's she doing in here and why is she taking up my space". Considering all of these guys were bigger than me and benching 17 times what I could ever imagine that was a little intimidating. A friend of mine got me going by reminding me that each of those guys had to start somewhere...They should all remember the first day they walked in to start lifting. Now when people, especially nervous girls, walk in to lift I remember being scared and when appropriate (mainly for the girls because we randomly talk to each other like that) I'll help them out. I feel better going in there too because I have made improvements and now see the regulars which is cool. I know enough about my lifting to have a feel for the gym and sometimes see the guy with horrible form and the cool thing is I can tell. Just stick with it and remember one day not so long ago they were like you no matter what they are or aren't on now. It can be frustrating and I understand that...but stick with it and try and use their strength to pull you through your workout...you can do this
    Lady, I fully expect to see you in the next issue of Powerlifting USA with at least a new world record for your weight class. Make it happen. - Guido

let's see how much this girl can lift...looking for the strength I know I have...
    The Journal...

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterInSnatch
    Ok so I've been lifting for a year and half. I did'nt get serious until like 8 months ago. Well I was just wondering if anyone ever feels discouraged when they see " Stacked " aka " Juiced " aka " Users " lifters benching 2-3 times their weight. Its very discouraging because I am pretty much all natural except Creatine. I work so hard and lift so hard and eat so well, and these guys can take a cycle and be monsters. Its almost just not fair. Sometimes i just wanna use and be huge like the rest of these guys, but i've always said i would never do that. I think the only reason i would ever do it, would be because i'm tired of
    them looking at me and thinking they are so cool and so much stronger. I 'm not saying that all users are like this, but there are ALOT of them that are. So can anyone kind of fill me in on your opinions and how it makes you feel in the gym.
    creatine IS natural, so you are all natural even with creatine, not EXCEPT for creatine. Also, just because they take a cycle doesnt mean they will be huge, they have to put in the effort you have to to get that big. It's not like they hit the needle and woke up bigger than you. and I have found that the bigger guys are the ones that are most humble, yea there's some exceptions but the majority are actually nicer than condecending.

Besides dont worry about them, there will always be someone bigger than you, its a fact of life and if you cant accept it and stay discouraged then you'll probably stop lifting in a little while.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

**** is real
    the only thing about people that juice that bothers me is when they use them at an age like me (16) because they're too stupid to eat right and follow a workout schedule...it also bothers me when i see people my age that i know have used that my brother outlifts (one kid is like 6 foot 2 and he looks like a pro body builder, yet my brother who is 5 foot 9 and 180lbs outlifts him)
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf

Banned
    A lot of people I talk to are intimidated by the gym but the reality is that a lot of the "looks" you get from others are just looks, with no evil thoughts behind them. Your own insecurities project evil thoughts onto those looks.

Quote Originally Posted by zer06ame
    it also bothers me when i see people my age that i know have used that my brother outlifts (one kid is like 6 foot 2 and he looks like a pro body builder, yet my brother who is 5 foot 9 and 180lbs outlifts him)
    Not everybody lifts for strength... for some people, they're just happier with size. I can outlift many pro bodybuilders, but I seriously doubt they give a ****.

And, this is not directed at anybody in particular... but I honestly am somewhat disappointed by the amount of dislike for individuals who have done nothing more than succeeded at getting bigger and stronger. Envy is an ugly thing.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    A lot of people I talk to are intimidated by the gym but the reality is that a lot of the "looks" you get from others are just looks, with no evil thoughts behind them. Your own insecurities project evil thoughts onto those looks.

I have never known anybody to resent the presence of a woman in the gym. Nor the presence of a newbie. Unless said newbie is curling in the squat rack.