The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity

Fear and Loathing in the Mirror

Welcome to Justin's new and improved journal. I named the journal because I am constantly loathing the way I look and I feel horrible about my lifting. I've been told I'm being too harsh on myself but I feel differently. I want to change this. I want to fall in love with my own reflection. Ok, not THAT extreme (I dont want to be the next narcissus) but I want to get to the point where I am confident about my abilities as a strength athelete and my physique as a whole. A little background information...

Years Training: 2.5
    Years Training the right way: 10 mo-1 yr
    Current weight as measured today: 212.8 lbs
    Height: 6'0"
    Bodyfat %age: Still hovering around 15-16%
    1 RM Deadlift: 470 lbs
    1 RM Squat: approx. 400 lbs
    1 RM Bench: approx. 255 lbs
    Total of: 1125 lbs

STRENGTH GOALS:
    1 RM Bench: 300 lbs by December '03/January '04
    1 RM Deadlift: 500 lbs by end of October '03
    1 RM Squat: 450 lbs by December '03
    GOAL total: 1250 lbs

BODY COMP GOALS:
    I want to be 225 lbs @ 10% bf by December '03/January '04

I want to participate in my first competition by the time I am 23 yrs old.

Now that you know all of this, I want to explain my current plan of action. I've been horribly paranoid the last few days about gyno. I feel like I could possible have VERY minor gyno. Nips seem sensitive and slightly puffier (for no good reason). I don't know how this would have come about because I have never tried AAS. I have, however done one PH cycle which consisted of 6 gr 1-test/5 gr 4-AD. I followed it up with some 6-OXO. I have been off the 1-tnt for 6 weeks and the 6-OXO for 2 weeks. This was a cutting cycle for me. Back to the gyno issue. Since I AM paranoid I will be taking no chances. I have order some liquid nolva that I plan on taking for 1-2 weeks before starting a cycle of Super One+ by Avant Labs. This cycle should last 2-3 weeks. To cut back on bloating/gyno issues I will be taking liquid letrozole during these weeks. As far as post cycle goes I will continue the letrozole and add in some Clomid. Do you guys feel this will be overkill for a Super One+ cycle? Let me know. It was suggested to me by another member of a different board that I simply use tribulus post-cycle at large doses but that seems a bit shakey to me.

This is the plan. I have spoken and so it shall be! Errr uhhh, what do you guys think. I need ALL the feedback I can get!
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I love the title, and that's a lovely deadlift. :spam
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Can I wanna be SMALL first BadAttituud's Avatar
    Wow, Justin, you can do all that and you have no self confidence?

In all honesty, I can say I've been there, done that. And to an extent, still am.

Great start to the journal!!!!!
    All people have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory."

-motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece-

Good luck Justin. Sounds like you've got a great plan.

I like your goals, but I think your body composition goal is a little too ambitious

Right now if you're 212 @ 15%, you have 180.2lbs LBM and for you to be 225 @ 10% you would have to have 202.5 LBM wich would mean you would have to gain over 20 pounds of muscle with no fat in the next 20 weeks, which is absolutely impossible

I'm around where you are as far as body composition is conerned, but my lifts (except bench) are lower than yours. Hopefully we can both see some improvement. Good luck

RG570 Aye, great movie isn't it (that is if you're not sober, otherwise it tends to not make a whole lot of sense)

Carolyn Thanks for the encouragement I AM proud of my deadlift considering this time last year I was strrugling with 250 lbs.

Mik Thank ya!

TTD Looking at it in more detail (body comp) you're right, it is just a touch ambitious even with a little PH assistance. What do you think would be a realistic time frame for that goal? May 2004? Oh and YES I need severe improvement on my bench, my lower body genetics are beautiful whereas the upper are
    sh!tastic.

Well, I won't be able to get into my routine until Monday. When Monday rolls around though, you better bet your ass I will be re-dedicated and determined beyond all reality to reach my preset goals. This time I'm gonna do it with NO excuses! I think my daily caloric intake is typically around 3100 which supposedly is a lot less than my maintenence by most standards but I haven't really been losing much weight. I will up this 200 cals a week until I am gaining steadily. We'll see how it goes.

I had a rough day today and diet has been bad but one day won't kill me. I managed to get in a short upper-body workout yesterday. THANK GOD the gym is open again. It consisted of:

Flat DB Bench
    Incline BB Bench
    pullups
    DB rows
    chest flyes

Nice and brief but I couldn't take much. I had only gotten in 4 hrs of sleep due to insomnia so I doubled up on E&C and thought I was gonna die when my workout was over. I was nauseous(sp), had a headache, dizzy, tunnel vision, and my heart was pounding out of my chest. Never again will I do that.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 08-22-2003 at 05:15 PM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

awesome journal name oh and ..................
    My Stats:
    5'6" 148
    BF: maybe 8%

Personal bests:

Flat BB Bench: 305x1 Shirt/Chalk
    Squat: 395x1 Suit/Belt/Chalk
    Deadlift: 405x1 Belt/Chalk
    Dips: Bw+3platesx3
    OH Press: 75's
    Decline Bench: 315x3
    DB Bench:95'sx6
    Pushups: 70 in 55 seconds
    Situps: 53 in 49 seconds

*I* want to be the next Narcissus. Face it, deep down, you do too.

Anyways, good luck with your goals.

Scott S and Lesnar_Rocks Thanks a lot!

I know this isnt a good way to start out a new journal but cant help it....

I'm going to rant now because I got nothing better to do. I havent been able to workout for 2.5 weeks. The ****ing gym has been closed for no god damn reason. Over this period of time I've begun to gain fat and lose muscle. Life is great. So today I'm excited. I'm finally going to get to workout. My dumbass lifting partner has to work though but the bastard sets his own hours. Anyways, we agree to workout at 8. Keep in mind, I have no car so I must rely on him for transportation. Come 9pm and the bastard still hasnt shown up. He finally calls and it turns out he broke off his key in his ignition and was stranded and had to call AAA. Whatever. SO he says he's gonna make a copy and come pick me up to workout. Well the store to copy his key was closed. This is just ****ING SUPER! I have been waiting 2.5 weeks to get a workout and it gets ****ED over because my workout partner is the most unreliable **** on the face of the earth. This isn't even the first time he's pulled **** like this. I feel like tearing someone/thing to shreds. I look like a skinnyfat SOB. To top it all off I was gonna use him to get a ride to the store so I can buy a medicine dropper for my liquid nolva so I could start that tonight. I am also out of food. I'M SO INCREDIBLY PISSED RIGHT NOW AND I HAVE NO WAY TO WORK IT OFF.....
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Alright, this is a new journal so I gotta turn over a new leaf. No more negtivity damnit! I've gone almost 3 weeks without training...how is 1 day gonna hurt me? Sorry about exploding earlier. I still got that skinnyfat feeling but one day I will fix this. One day I will be 240 lbs...ripped to the bone. One day I will make small children cry at the sight of me. One day I will have to turn sideways to fit through conventional doorways.....

I can dream, can't I?
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Whatever you do, DON'T tear any people to shreds. Doing so will land you in prison, and that will definitely interfere with your training. Or, maybe it won't. I dunno. Some help I am....

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Things'll get better once the semester starts. Just take your time and be patient. Its good to see that you are turning over a new leaf. By having a more positive outlook on things, you'll be surprised at how well things really are.

Get it worked out and keep this thing up-to-date dammit!!
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Can I wanna be SMALL first BadAttituud's Avatar
    Originally posted by Scott S
    Whatever you do, DON'T tear any people to shreds. Doing so will land you in prison, and that will definitely interfere with your training. Or, maybe it won't. I dunno. Some help I am....
    Oh I don't know.. I hear they have some nice gyms in the penitentiaries.

Justin, I'm just teasing.. I know it's hard, but do TRY to keep a positive attitude. My own gym scheduling has been sketchy and I hate it as well..
    All people have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory."

-motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece-

1. Relax

2. Definately set a little more of a realistic goal, or you will hate your body even more (if thats possible) when you fall short.

3. A few weeks off from the gym may end up being beneficial, your body will be well-rested and ready to go.

4. Good luck
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Justin: As far as gyno fears go, you might want to run clomid during your entire cycle of Superone. Thats pretty much the strongest PH out there, and if you are paranoid about it then its better to be safe then sorry. Edit : I'm not sure what letrazole is - if thats similiar to clomid, then you are already covering all your bases.

And let me tell you - learning to love your own reflection has much more to do with what happens in your head then what happens with your body.
    Last edited by fuzz; 08-27-2003 at 08:02 AM.

Originally posted by fuzz
    And let me tell you - learning to love your own reflection has much more to do with what happens in your head then what happens with your body.
    Very true. If you plan to be happy when you accomplish x% bodyfat or y lbs more muscle, you'll never be happy because it won't be enough. I made sure going into lifting knowing that no matter what, I was improving on how I started. Hope this helps.

Justin: good luck with the goals! Love the journal title. My friends called me doc in college(short for doctor gonzo), but the stories behind that are locking away in my post college vault. Will I be seeing you at the Mountaineer Classic?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Good God people....

When did you start reading my journal?!?

I have been away for a few days because my internet service has been down thanks to this lovely virus!

Here goes:

Scott S Whatever man, there are some big ****ers in prison...Must be something they put in the food.

Oh and I know I'll never be happy with where I am at. Even if I do hit a shredded 225 but the key is I'm attempting to be idealistic here...

Kenn Thank you for gracing my humble journal with your wonderful presence.... Soon my traps shall make yours cower in fear....

Will I'll tell ya what, I'll keep this thing up to date as long as YOU keep posting in here. I really think this positive thinking (or a pitiful attempt at it) can not only help my training but my life as a whole. I've always been pissy and negative and because of that nothing in life ever seems very rewarding. I gotta learn to appreciate the small things damnit!

Carolyn I'm workin' on it. It only gets better by the day...

Y2A Thanks for the pointers and I'm currently working on thinking up a new goal...

fuzz Liquid Letro is the same thing as femera which is supposedly wonderful for bloat/gyno prevention. My problem was that I had this suspicion that I developed slight gyno from my last go round. So I am currently on 40mg of nolva a day.

Do you think I should go with straight 1-test if gyno scares the living crap out of me?

cp Thanks bro! You'll definitely have to share those stories at some point And Yes...I will be making an appearence at Will's first show! I hope to see a buncha you WBB'ers there.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Here's a brief rundown of my workouts in the last few days since I haven't had the chance to post. I was keeping these workouts light since I dno't want to over-exert myself after almost 3 weeks off.

Monday - Missed the workout due to my lifting partner/transportation

Tuesday - Chest/Tri's
    -Flat Bench: 65x10, 85x6, 75x8
    -Incline BB Bench: 135x10, 165x8, 165x8
    -Cable Flyes
    -CGBP 135x10, 155x8, 155x8
    ***This was my first attempt at CGBP because I dont feel like I am getting much development in my tri's with other lifts. I dont think I did them right because I didnt feel a tightness in the tri's...I need help on form.

Wednesday - Legs
    Squats - 135x10, 225x7, 360x6, 360x4
    Leg Press - 8 platesx12, 10 platesx10, 12 platesx8, 14 platesx6
    *Calf work

Today should be my day off but since I am hitting up Durham for the weekend I think I'll go ahead with a back day.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 08-28-2003 at 02:57 PM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Straight 1test would work fine, as long as your dosage was high enough and everything. If you went with that, you would definitely want some ECA or something to combat the lethargy.

What symptoms of gyno do you think you had? You could always try some 2 week on/off cycles of SuperOne or something, and see how that goes.

Good to see some workouts in here. Keep the positie attitude and you'll have no problem hitting your goals. God luck man.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

Fuzz Well to start off I had small lumps that seem to have gotten slightly bigger but I am somewhat paranoid so it *could* be in my mind... Plus they seem to have a puffier appearence than they used to and I WAS at a higher bf....seems suspicious, no? Yeah I'd really like the 4AD effects so I want to go with the S1+...maybe I'll try the 2on/2off approach, would you suggest clomid for post recovery?

Justin Hey thanks a lot bro!
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

I was terribly sore from my leg day yesterday yet I still had the balls/excess stupidity to go and do a deadlift/back day. Wasn't too bad but my deadlift was a bit weak.

Deads
    135x10, 225x8, 315x7, 405x7, 455x1 *This is not my 1RM but maxing out after a 3 wk layoff is typically a bad idea.

Pull-ups
    *I am still getting used to this whole overhand thing...
    BWx9, BWx6, BWx5

DB Rows
    *These were simply weak and pathetic but gimme a few weeks, I'll be throwing up the heavy stuff again.
    85x8, 95x6, 75x10

*Cable curls

That's it. Short and sweet and suprising I could even dead over 400 today with my sore legs.

Diet Today:

M1: 6 fried eggs, 1 cup cooked oats
    M2: 10 oz. lean ground beef, 4 slices ww bread, 2 oz. mozerella cheese
    M3: 5 oz. lean ground beef, 2 slices ww bread, 44 gr protein shake in 2 cups skim milk, banana
    M4: Postworkout Shake w/ 10 packs smarties
    M5: 12 buffalo wings w/ ranch dressing *CHEAT MEAL*
    M6: 1 sweet potato, 1 cup cc

Oh what a day of eating...Good god I love bulking...Here are the grand totals...

Calories Eaten Today
    source grams cals %total
    Total: 4072
    Fat: 178 1604 40%
    Sat: 58 524 13%
    Poly: 23 211 5%
    Mono: 70 627 16%
    Carbs: 251 908 23%
    Fiber: 24 0 0%
    Protein: 364 1455 37%
    Alcohol: 0 0 0%

I need help in balancing out my macros if anyone can offer pointers. As you can see tonight was a wings and football night with the boys. Miami had their first game of the season and they beat the bloody hell out of Louisiana Tech (like anyone wouldnt guess that was gonna happen). That's it fo' shizzle.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Macros are looking pretty good. I might try to get a little less saturated fat but other than that its about on. Lots of protein, enough fat and then just filling the rest in with carbs.

How's the semester looking man?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.