The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beaver ******

Genetics and cheatdays

I've done a search...and everyone seems to have a different opinion of what a cheatday is. First, should you count your cals on a cheat? Should you worry about your macros? I was always under the impression "Eat and eat to excess?" ...that's what I've been doing...and it seems to work. Could this be genetics then, or is this natural...as in you're not gonna get fat in a day or for a days worth of eating bad?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i used to be a fat guy. 22% fat. i started cheating on weekends and i shot up very quickly to 11%, but I've been holding there since. I'm also curious about cheat days...

Grasshoppa
    If you're cheating, I don't see a point in counting calories. Have fun and resume your diet the next day. It's not like one day will ruin your progress. Need to look at the bigger picture. A lot of cheat days will.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

are cheat days used for cutters or bulkers or both? i cheat on weekends and i bulk every other day. the difference is that on cheat days, i eat junk food rather than clean food.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    It's not like one day will ruin your progress.
    Depends how much you can eat :evillaugh

I can eat about 3-4 days worth of "bulking-level" calories in a single cheat day. When I do that, it certainly sets me back.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky33
    are cheat days used for cutters or bulkers or both? i cheat on weekends and i bulk every other day. the difference is that on cheat days, i eat junk food rather than clean food.
    Personally, I think they should be used on cuts moreso than bulks. You should be fairly satisfied with your diet on a bulk, and if you really want that slice of pizza or donut, it won't kill you to have it anyway. On the other hand, on a cut chances are you won't be satisfied with your diet, so cheating gives a little peace of mind as well as provides a little metabolism boost.

And what do you mean you "bulk every other day"?

i guess i mean i cheat on the weekends (or super super bulk), but bulk normally (clean bulk) during the week (monday to friday). that's what i meant.

I have beer and chips on my cheat day, proably the reason why I aint shredded!!

Gota have some fun on the weekend!!
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF

its nice to have occasional cheat days when on a clean bulk, i get tired of oatmeal and peanut butter 24/7.

As far as totally throwing macros out the window on cheat days, I disagree. I'm very strict when it comes to dieting, and that includes cheat days. I'm doing a UD2.0...low carb during the week followed by a 36 hour carb up. I consume around 1500g clean carbs on the carb ups. I try to keep them as clean as possible, ALWAYS keeping fat below 60g. If you want to go crazy, the consequences probably won't be horrible, but then again, I don't want to risk anything. I guess it all depends on how disciplined you are, and, as is included in your thread title, your genetics which will determine how well you can put up w/ cheat days.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerjrus
    its nice to have occasional cheat days when on a clean bulk, i get tired of oatmeal and peanut butter 24/7.
    Fie upon you! You should never get tired of peanut butter!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hercule
    As far as totally throwing macros out the window on cheat days, I disagree. I'm very strict when it comes to dieting, and that includes cheat days. I'm doing a UD2.0...low carb during the week followed by a 36 hour carb up. I consume around 1500g clean carbs on the carb ups. I try to keep them as clean as possible, ALWAYS keeping fat below 60g. If you want to go crazy, the consequences probably won't be horrible, but then again, I don't want to risk anything. I guess it all depends on how disciplined you are, and, as is included in your thread title, your genetics which will determine how well you can put up w/ cheat days.
    I've done a bunch of UD2 cycles and you're right, it really depends on how disciplined you are. Optimal results come from keeping the carbs clean and fat low. However, the results won't be "that" much worse from having an all-out binge, and it might be easier on you psychologically in terms of sticking with the diet. So, it's really just contingent on the person involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido

10 tbsp a day can get on my nerves.

Banned
    10 tbsp a day can get on my nerves.
    I'm at a minimum of 12 right now, and LOVING it! mmmmmmmmmmmm

well for me, i've gone on all out binge cheat days on the weekend for about 7 weeks. my body fat has gone up 3% so far.. so i'm not sure how other ppl say cheats are ok.

Grasshoppa
    You're binging the whole weekend? Cheat days are fine, but if you find a way to take it to a really weird extreme, then they can be bad, especially if you have them for multiple days in a row vs. one day every now and then.

In the end, use some common sense.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

are you saying this from experience shao-lin?
    lets say i come home on the weekend after a long week of clean eating/studying/working out, and i just all out pig out for one whole saturday, would my body fat % not change in the long run?
    what if i do it every saturday?
    has anyone tried this? care to share experience?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spanky33
    are you saying this from experience shao-lin?
    lets say i come home on the weekend after a long week of clean eating/studying/working out, and i just all out pig out for one whole saturday, would my body fat % not change in the long run?
    what if i do it every saturday?
    has anyone tried this? care to share experience?
    If you're "bulking" from Sunday-Friday (ie. taking in excess calories over maintenance) your bodyfat will probably increase over time REGARDLESS of whether or not you cheat on Saturdays. Cheating will only exacerbate it.

dam..lol

**** is real
    i never get sick of peanut butter, i eat 3-4 peanut butter sandwhiches a day and 5-6 tbsp's of peanut butter before bed
    it's the greatest thing ever
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf

Personally, I think they should be used on cuts moreso than bulks. You should be fairly satisfied with your diet on a bulk, and if you really want that slice of pizza or donut, it won't kill you to have it anyway. On the other hand, on a cut chances are you won't be satisfied with your diet, so cheating gives a little peace of mind as well as provides a little metabolism boost.
    I agree.

I keep a jar of Adam's crunchy at my desk at work.

I could drink it straight out of the jar.

Beaver ******
    So could this be a cheat day...or would this be just stupid

breakfast - scrambled eggs, bacon, toast hashed potatoes
    Snacks - A chocolate bar, or some chips
    Lunch - fastfood
    Dinner - Pizza, beers and some chips

Remember this is all in excess...

I know genetics would play some role, just wondering how much in general. I've been doing cheats to keep sane, and have not gone up in bf% when I am on a cut, but still gone down. I just wonder if I would lose even more bf% on if I left the cheat days out...

Wannabebig Member
    Thats what my cheatday is like. I eat basically everything that I carve for during the week.

Beaver ******
    Quote Originally Posted by ARN
    Thats what my cheatday is like. I eat basically everything that I carve for during the week.
    And you're body takes it OK...even on a cut? I just wonder if I should try to substitute a cheat day with maybe a cheat meal...I'm definitely not getting my protein and eating way too much fat, but it keeps me sane. BUT I can probably handle just a meal, but that would be a mother of a cheat meal.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavereater
    I just wonder if I should try to substitute a cheat day with maybe a cheat meal.
    That's my favourite approach. Then again, I'll eat anywhere from 5-8K cals in this one "meal" .

Quote Originally Posted by Hercule
    :withstupi
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t