Thread: New guy, intro questions and crap

Wannabebig New Member

New guy, intro questions and crap

Ok, I had a whole big post written up and when I went to post it I was somhow logged out and lost it all.
    So now I'm going to post a simpler version.

I'm 27 6'1 and 155lb's. I'm skinny. I worked out in highschool with a monster friend of mine, he had me work out till failure every set every day. I ate everything I could, but never saw a difference, and I felt like hell most of the time.

Now that I'm older I want to start getting back in shape, I'm not looking to get that big really, just bigger and cut.
    Think more lightweight boxer less pro wrestler.
    If I had to give a model, maybe pitt in fight club or Edward Norton in american history x. If that helps you get an idea of what I'm looking for, cool, if it makes you think I'm gay, my bad.

So I'm thinking WBB workout 1 looks good, its surprising seeing only 2 sets, I never thought that would be enough, but it was written by a guy that knows a lot more than me, so 2 sets it is.

Should I run every morning, I know I need to gain weight, but I have a little fat in the gut area (like inch or less). Will that work off as I lift?

What kind of diet should I stick to, a "gainers" diet?

Should I do it in steps, like first I gain what I need, then cut it up? Or will the diet allow me to gain muscle and no fat?

Squats, can I use the smith machine? Always been a little unsure of myself on those.

Is there any reason I couldn't swap barbell curls for preacher curls, I always enjoyed those (maybe because I could do more maybe?)

Creatine, will it help me reach my goals?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give, please feel free to ask any questions that would help you to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by r6KneeDragger
    Should I run every morning, I know I need to gain weight, but I have a little fat in the gut area (like inch or less). Will that work off as I lift?
    **Only if you want to keep your speed up. Rarely do people gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. So if you want to run purely to do this, then don't.

What kind of diet should I stick to, a "gainers" diet?
    **Maintenance cals are about 15-16x your bodyweight. Add about 500 calories to that. Maybe a 40/30/30: pro/carb/fat, ratio however you would like. Protien at about 1g/lb and carbs at 2-3g/lb.

Should I do it in steps, like first I gain what I need, then cut it up? Or will the diet allow me to gain muscle and no fat?
    **If you don't add too many calories over maintenance then you could possibly gain muscle without any fat. You would just gain muscle fairly slowly and may get discouraged.

Squats, can I use the smith machine? Always been a little unsure of myself on those.
    **Yes you can, it won't do exactly the same. But if you don't want to hurt yourself until you get form down. Make sure you go down as far as you can without letting your knees stick out too far.

Is there any reason I couldn't swap barbell curls for preacher curls, I always enjoyed those (maybe because I could do more maybe?)
    **Barbell curls recruit more of the muscle, therefore are better. Why not do both? maybe add a third bicep exercise in if you want.

Creatine, will it help me reach my goals?
    **Possibly. Some people it affects, others it doesn't. Just helps soak up water in your muscles, making you gain water weight.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give, please feel free to ask any questions that would help you to help me.
    Welcome aboard.

Hey there, and welcome. You have a lot of questions, and you're gonna be directed to do some reading.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you figure out how much protein and how many calories you're eating now.

Go to www.fitday.com for a few days and track your calories and macronutrients (that's protein, carb and fat grams).

You'll need to be eating MORE than maintenance to put on muscle, and I generally shoot for 1.5g per pound bodyweight for protein. I weigh just under a buck fifty, so I get in about 200 g or so of protein daily.

I'll leave some of the other questions for you to research, or for some of the other folks here to field.

Good luck.

Welcome to WBB!

The problem I see with trying to bulk and cut at the same time is that it takes a LONG time. If you have the time and patience, then it is feasible. You're going to see faster results if you pick one. You're 6'1" , 155 and describe yourself skinny. Cutting right now won't make you look any better IMO. Obviously a current picture would help, but judging from you stats, I can pretty much picture you. I would say just eat to bulk and don't worry too much about the fat gain. Start a journal (both weights and diet).

Creatine can help, but I don't think it's absoultely needed. Your just starting so let the food do the bulking for you then after a while, take a look into creatine.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I wannabebig!
    Pick one whether you want to lose the fat or gain the muscle then focus on it. Check out the diet stickys for more info

welcome to wbb,
    I woud not use the smith machine. It is much easier than a free weight squat b/c you do not have to stabiize the weight. If you are worried about squatting safely just do it in a squat cage.

Actually, if you need help... my best advice is to look up any post posted by fixationofdarkness. He had asked about all the questions.