The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

chest explosion on dips

When I do [weighted] dips, my chest gets a kinda painful feeling... sorta like it's "gonna explode." I'm wondering if this feeling is just the pecs being worked really hard or the chest bone caving in. Does anybody else get this? And what is it; pecs working hard or bone caving?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Girn
    pecs
    Well, lots of people say that dips bother their sternum. I used to be one of those people, but I think that since I have gotten stronger, dips don't bother my sternum anymore.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Well I don't think it has to do with my pecs being too weak. I can bench 25 pounds more than my body weight, and do dips with 20 pounds on a weight belt.

I hope it is just muscle burn though because I'd hate to give up such a great lift because it's bad for my bones.
    Last edited by Mission; 03-16-2005 at 08:02 PM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mission
    Well I don't think it has to do with my pecs being too weak. I can bench 25 pounds more than my body weight, and do dips with 20 pounds on a weight belt.

I hope it is just muscle burn though because I'd hate to give up such a great lift because it's bad for my bones.
    Do you have long arms? Some people with long arms can't go down all the way without pain. So, maybe it's a ROM issue.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I get that feeling too, like right in the middle of my chest, not sternum. For me I don't think it's muscle because I could do BW+135 with good ROM, but after it felt like caving in. I don't do them anymore because of it.

it could be that the tendons connecting your pecs to your sternum arent strong/thick enough to support the weight you're throwing onto the dips. Sure you can bench, but dips require an entirely different set of ROMs that your tendons might not be used to.

They also could simply be raw from either a) working out or b) some kind of relatively minor injury that could increase in pain and extend to times even when you arent working out. Be careful. I'd say get it checked out; last time i was playing football and damn near ripped one of those pec-sternum tendons in half. When you're fully energized and ready to lift, doing an exercise should generally NOT induce any sharp pain.
    Last edited by IZich; 03-16-2005 at 08:34 PM.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Quote Originally Posted by Doobs
    I get that feeling too, like right in the middle of my chest, not sternum. For me I don't think it's muscle because I could do BW+135 with good ROM, but after it felt like caving in. I don't do them anymore because of it.

Anyone else know? I'd like as many responses as possible.

I would not extend all all the way down. I was going for a maximal effort dips with 100lbs for 2 reps and I injured my chest/sternum somehow. I was a pretty bad pain. It took about a month to go away. So I stopped fully extending on dips.

How far should I go so I don't break my sternum bone?

Quote Originally Posted by Mission
    How far should I go so I don't break my sternum bone?
    you wont break your sternum lol

When I was doing my dips I was really streching it at the bottom to get that real burn, but turns out i ended up injured. Just dont take it that far

So it's the muscle that gives the explosion feeling and NOT the bone?

my advice, get your arms behind your back and go down as low as you can. now explode through the top and try to jump up and clap. these are great for your rotator cuffs!

lol

seriously though, i dont do dips but when ive tried ive felt that. alot of successful people dont do dips so if you cant dont worry about it.

I have that feeling sometimes when doing dips after other chest exercises. I don't think it's really anything worth worrying about. It's not the bones caving in. I'd venture a guess that the painful feeling, at least to some degree, is caused by the pecs flexing in such a stretched position.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal