Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straps and deadlifts...

Beaver ******

Straps and deadlifts...

I added DL's to my routine (Should've a long time ago)!! The first week I did low weights, because I wanted to be sure of the form. Then I added weights and couldn't hold on, so I bought straps. I went in thinking I would be lifting much more...but the funny thing is...straps don't work well when not used correctly I managed the weights, but KILLED my forearms. Well...I know how to use straps now...

I had a hard time holding the weight for a while, but I've stayed away from straps up to this point. I figured my grip needed a lot of improvement, so it would only help me to fight to hold that bar. Now I can deadlift 300 (started in January), and the grip holds up through 3 reps of it after a full run-through of the other weights. You don't wnat to compromise your grip yet..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

But just wait..you're really gonna love how the dealifts make you feel. LIKE A BEAST!!!

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    I had a hard time holding the weight for a while, but I've stayed away from straps up to this point. I figured my grip needed a lot of improvement, so it would only help me to fight to hold that bar. Now I can deadlift 300 (started in January), and the grip holds up through 3 reps of it after a full run-through of the other weights. You don't wnat to compromise your grip yet..
    Why? People act like straps are so bad. What's the big deal with having to have a super strong grip? What will you use it for? Is grip more important to you than back progress?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    Why? People act like straps are so bad. What's the big deal with having to have a super strong grip? What will you use it for? Is grip more important to you than back progress?
    There's 2 sides to it. Straps will help you lift more in the short run, but won't allow your grip strength to increase much. If you develop a "super strong grip" as you put it, you will be able to lift more weight eventually...and EVEN MORE with straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    There's 2 sides to it. Straps will help you lift more in the short run, but won't allow your grip strength to increase much. If you develop a "super strong grip" as you put it, you will be able to lift more weight eventually...and EVEN MORE with straps.
    that is so laughable. How would having a stronger grip allow you to lift more? Straps will always be stronger than the strongest grip

Banned
    How would having a stronger grip allow you to lift more?
    I'm not even sure if this question warrants a response. One word: WOW

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    I'm not even sure if this question warrants a response. One word: WOW
    THe question should be rephrased, I mean, how will increasing your grip strengeth have anything to do with what you can pull with straps on? It will have no effect.

Someone who never trains without straps has a lower non strap max, therefore when straps are taken into account, the person who trained without them will be able to lift more.

Banned
    THe question should be rephrased, I mean, how will increasing your grip strengeth have anything to do with what you can pull with straps on? It will have no effect.
    Maybe straps work differently for you than anyone else I know, but they don't allow you to lift an infinite amount of weight. Take someone with really weak grip who can only db shrug 50's without straps. He can probably shrug 70's or 75's with straps, but he won't be doing 120's.

I don't understand how you could say that grip has NO effect at all. Straps take some of the burden off of your grip, but they don't eliminate it as a factor entirely.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerjrus
    Someone who never trains without straps has a lower non strap max, therefore when straps are taken into account, the person who trained without them will be able to lift more.
    Both of us are wording things in quite a confusing manner, but we're on the same page.

It depends on your grip. If you can hold the weight for the same amount of reps as you would with straps, it won't matter.

Let's end all this blabbering, there will always be people who say no straps. I say use straps on your heavy set. You work your grip. I'll work my back

Banned
    It depends on your grip. If you can hold the weight for the same amount of reps as you would with straps, it won't matter.
    If you could hold the weight for the same number of reps as you would with straps why would you be using straps on that weight at all? Doesn't really make much sense. It doesn't really matter though because you can progress without straps and you can progress with them as well. That's all that really matters.

Let's end all this blabbering, there will always be people who say no straps. I say use straps on your heavy set. You work your grip. I'll work my back

You're proposing that your back will be stronger than mine because you use straps? I think your logic might be flawed.

You're proposing that your back will be stronger than mine because you use straps? I think your logic might be flawed.
    Can you argue against the fact that straps will always be better grip than just hands?

By the time your bar is slipping out of your hands, I am still doing reps.
    Last edited by GMCtrk; 03-14-2005 at 11:48 PM.

Banned
    Can you argue against the fact that straps will always be better grip than just hands?

You're absolutely right. And that was never my point.

My initial response was regarding you basically inferring grip strength is irrelevant. Grip strength is the weak link for a lot of people on pulling exercises; it's very likely it will hold you back.

I wasn't arguing with that, I merely didnt see how using straps is going to make your back stronger.

I have little girlie hands. If I didn't use straps, I'd still only dead a plate a side. I'd LOVE to have stronger grip strength, but not as much as I love having a good strong back.

Wannabebig Member
    Straps are a necessity. There is simply no way that you can argue your grip isn't holding you back, if you forever refuse to use straps. Your back is stronger than your grip and you need to use heavier weights to improve your back at the maximum rate than your forearms can handle.

It should be noted I supplement my training with grip exercises but I refuse to compromise my back development because I won't use straps.

Straps--OMG yes. Train the grip separately. There is no way I would be getting anything out of stiff-legged deads if I didn't use straps.
    Last edited by tholian8; 03-15-2005 at 02:23 AM.
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male."

My attempts at lifting heavy objects

Current maxes:

Squat 145 kg (320 lbs)
    Bench 67.5 kg (149 lbs)
    DL: 142.5 kg (314 lbs)

...oh, and I'm a girl.

I wannabebig!
    I think using straps this early will only serve as a crutch, I have yet to use straps I can dl with a mixed grip over 400 and can get about 360 with a double overhand.... before i could barely hold on.... just keep at it and your grip will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by British Pimp
    Straps are a necessity.

They are not a necessity. To use or not use straps is just a matter of preference. I started with straps and for the longest time, I was doing fine. Then, in an effort to reduce my gym time, I decided to dump them because I wanted to stop doing extra grip work. I have been strap free for about a 2 years now I think and my grip has improved dramatically. I have never once felt like my grip has limited any pulling lift.

Please don't say stuff like that because there are quite a few people on this forum that will whole heartedly disagree about straps being necessary and have the proof to back it up.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Do that voodoo that he do
    Stop lifting like a little girl and using straps.

Very rarely do you see a 500+ deadlifter who uses straps.

Edit: I suppose if one is doing high-rep sets of eight or ten plus, straps might be a convenience. For heavy low-rep deads, don't bother.
    Last edited by Isaac Wilkins; 03-15-2005 at 05:23 AM.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

when your back is stronger than your grip you cant use it in the real world to pick stuff up. though for many that is not a concern. if your grip is stronger than your back you can do much more with that than you can with a strong back but no grip.

straps should be used when you are lifting very competetive amounts of weight, not to start out. straps wont give you an infallable grip, but if you also have the grip then straps will help you more.

Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    Stop lifting like a little girl and using straps.

Very rarely do you see a 500+ deadlifter who uses straps.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock