Thread: Chest/triceps the day after shoulders?

Chest/triceps the day after shoulders?

Alright, so I'm kinda obsessing about overtraining recently, but mostly just because I want to make sure I'm letting my body grow enough and not over-working it.

If I do shoulders one day, and then do chest/tris the next day, is that ok, or since chest and shoulders sorta overlap should I wait......?

i think it depends most on how your muscles feel after your shoulders workout. My general feeling is wait a day, because yea your bench press(i assume that is a integral component of your chest workout) will definitely use shoulders to some degree. However, if your muscles arent sore and your body feels fine, then go for it. If it aint broke, dont fix it.
    Weightlifting is, after all, a very tailored and personal science. Feel whats best for you.

//edit

lol i just read your other post about bench pressing.. yea you really are worried about overstressing
    Last edited by IZich; 03-16-2005 at 12:26 AM.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Banned
    "I" think you shouldn't even be working your shoulders directly in the first place...that would eliminate any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    "I" think you shouldn't even be working your shoulders directly in the first place...that would eliminate any problems.
    Why not? I know shoulders get a lot of work from doing other muscles, you think that is sufficient? I think you can get away with only doing raises and no presses, but I think you have to atleast do the raises.

IMO there's nothing wrong with shoulder exercises.. this might also lead to strengthening of other exercises like the incline BP.
    Last edited by IZich; 03-16-2005 at 12:57 PM.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike G
    Why not? I know shoulders get a lot of work from doing other muscles, you think that is sufficient?
    Yes

I would do chest before shoulders/tricpes.

Why cant you throw somehting inbetween them?

What does your split look like?
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Yes
    So you don't do triceps or biceps since they get worked when you do chest and back?

"I would do chest before shoulders/tricpes"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike G
    So you don't do triceps or biceps since they get worked when you do chest and back?
    I sometimes do just cuz it can be enjoyable, but not all the time. I notice zero difference in arm size whether they are worked directly or not. Lots of people on this site will agree, with some maybe even saying they grow better without direct work.
    Last edited by Vido; 03-16-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I'll agree. My biceps are definately my best feature but I barely work them. IMO triceps can still use some isolation however. Though, it could just be the way I do my presses (I tend to use a wider grip than most).
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 03-16-2005 at 04:01 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

My split is a mess...I'm trying to improve it. Right now its a 3-day split: chest/triceps, back/biceps, legs/shoulders. I do it on a 2-day on, 1-day off routine, so the workouts that are paired back to back are always changing.

Wannabebig Member
    My suggestion is whenever you decide to do shoulders, due a smaller number of sets than you would do for say chest or biceps... you might do 9 for chest... i'd stick to maybe 6 for shoulders... if you overwork your shoulders you are VERY injury prone... especially if you have shoulder problems like many people. My shoulders got built up pretty good just from doing all my other exercises... I rarely work them with more than 6 sets (arnold presses and barbell shoulder press or a variation of these).

Quote Originally Posted by ericg
    I would do chest before shoulders/tricpes.

Why cant you throw somehting inbetween them?

What does your split look like?
    :withstupi just do chest before shoulders in your split, and maybe give a day between them or even another muscle....usually I do
    Day 1: Chest
    Day 2: Back
    Day 3: Shoulders
    or something along those lines
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Ok, how would this be:

Day 1: chest/triceps
    Day 2: off
    Day 3: shoulders/legs
    Day 4: back/biceps
    Day 5: off
    Day 6: chest/triceps
    Day 7: off
    Day 8: shoulders/legs
    Day 9: back/biceps
    Etc, etc etc......

That would solve the problem of shoulders and chest, but the problem with this split is that I've been trying to separate chest and triceps as well as back and biceps because I find that after doing chest I don't have anything left in my triceps to isolate them (same with back and biceps.)

Little help?

I would def agree with that, I don't find that working shoulders directly helps me at all, probably different for everyone though.

Wannabebig Member
    I like to work shoulders and arms same day chest and back the day before.

Chest/back and then shoulders/arms the next day? Seems like you'd need a little more rest than that. On chest/back day you're indirectly working shoulders, triceps and biceps, and then working all of those again the next day....?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Incline Bench or Flat Bench is enough for my shoulders, maybe throw in some DB lateral raises, but nothing more.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    i only do simple compound movements for chest flat bench and some flyes no more than 6 sets bentover rowing 6 sets next day 5 sets military 5 sets close grip bench or skullcrushers 4 to 5 sets for biceps bb curls with some db concentation curls working ok for me i guess i go heavy after warm up then drop the weight as i finish the last sets.
    Last edited by James 96761; 03-16-2005 at 09:16 PM.

I think direct work is needed for optimal shoulder growth, but then again I love doing seated dumbell press
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Pretty much none of my muscles would grow without direct work. This goes especially for my triceps and shoulders. One thing I've noticed though since I've been training pretty hard; is that my shoulders have grown considerably. To the point where I can't wear a size Large T-shirt without looking like an idiot (the sleeves hike up because my shoulders are wider than the shirt!). I suppose I'm an XL man now.
    Ht: 5'11"
    Wt: 204lbs
    BF: ~14%

Goals for 2005:
    Add thickness to back, forearms, chest.
    26" Thighs
    17" Arms

Quote Originally Posted by Collegekid
    My split is a mess...I'm trying to improve it. Right now its a 3-day split: chest/triceps, back/biceps, legs/shoulders. I do it on a 2-day on, 1-day off routine, so the workouts that are paired back to back are always changing.

Why are you constantly changing your routine. I would suggest setting up a new routine, either push/pull/legs or a 4 day split similar to what your doing (but seperate the days better). And keep the workouts the same each time and PROGRESS. No need to be changing your workout until you have a progression problem and usually that can be solved with diet, extra rest, rep range etc.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

I sometimes do just cuz it can be enjoyable, but not all the time. I notice zero difference in arm size whether they are worked directly or not. Lots of people on this site will agree, with some maybe even saying they grow better without direct work.
    You're lucky. If I don't do some form of direct work for biceps they don't improve, but they have always been my weakpoint. Shoulders I only do lateral raises and sometimes bent raises. I just don't feel like my medial head gets worked doing other exercises and I don't want huge fronts and that's it. It's the differences that make lifting great.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegekid
    Ok, how would this be:

Day 1: chest/triceps
    Day 2: off
    Day 3: shoulders/legs
    Day 4: back/biceps
    Day 5: off
    Day 6: chest/triceps
    Day 7: off
    Day 8: shoulders/legs
    Day 9: back/biceps
    Etc, etc etc......

Little help?
    Day1 chest/biceps
    Day 2 off
    Day 3 Legs/ shoulders
    Day 4 Back/Triceps
    Day 5 off
    Day 6 off
    Day 7 repeat

That would get you in four times a week and you would get six days between working the same muscles directly. You could even start back up on day 6 if you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    :withstupi just do chest before shoulders in your split, and maybe give a day between them or even another muscle....usually I do
    Day 1: Chest
    Day 2: Back
    Day 3: Shoulders
    or something along those lines
    What kind of split is this? Why would you devote an entire day to shoulders? I dont even know if thats possible, let alone beneficial.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200