Thread: Speed bench vs bench assistance ..

Threaded View

Speed bench vs bench assistance ..

I finish up my russian bench routine next week and now I'm kind of piecing together the routine that'll follow it.

I know I want to follow a semi-Westside routine since I've had great success with that in the past, but after reading over Chris' journal I am wondering if I should just throw out the speed bench except for pre-max out attempts.

I am assuming my background has something to do with whether I should do speed work ... I'm 6'3/210 lbs (~9% bf) with a wing span that's about 6'7 (I've trained for about 2.5 years). My sticky point (assuming it didn't change in the last month) is a couple inches off my chest, which happens to be when my elbows are at around 90 degrees, or even with my chest/abs. I would guess that my max will be between 240 and 280, and I lift completely raw.

I have done speed work in the past, and as I said I think Westside was very effective for me, however the speed work itself seemed kind of worthless as it hasn't helped me move the weight notably faster, and my speed doesn't even really improve much over an 8-week cycle. The only thing I worry about is if I am doing ME bench on monday and for 8 or so weeks at a time using something other than flat barbell bench and then not doing bench press during the bench assistance day that I will not be used to the movement. I know this was long, I just wanted to provide plenty of information. Thanks.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 03-15-2005 at 07:54 PM.