The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Movie: What the bleep do we know?

Who's seen it?

I just rented it last night, seen maybe 1/3 of it. So far it's been extremely fascinating.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    What's it about?

after googling it, that movie sounds great

i will check it out

Wannabebig New Member
    I njust passed that one up at Best buy . Tell me how it is . I think I want it .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    What's it about?
    A lot stuff about quantum physics etc.. "What is reality?" etc.. Those types of questions.

It's somewhat like a documentary. It's really just a collection of scientists discussing these kinds of questions. There is also a kind of a ficticious "story" woven within the movie as well, but that's just to illustrate the points the scientists are trying to make.

I still haven't finished the whole thing, but so far it's been pretty interesting.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Ugh.

I've been watching the second half of this movie, and it seems like it's becoming more and more of the "new age" type crap. I don't recommend this movie anymore, and don't know what happened, it started off good, but the second half has been nothing but pure crap. I actually came to find out that among the legimate scientists being interviewed, they also interviewed a new age hippie as well (the movie doesn't give you any names/credentials of the people until the end).

Apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way. Here's a comment taken off of imdb.com

"The movie got a lot of the quantum theory and neurology right, but then it proceeds to make a lot of wild tangential claims that are loosely based on the theory and pass it off as the absolute truth. Anybody with a advanced physics background (my job requires an advanced math and physics background) will be deeply turned off (despite the fact that a number of physicists and neurologists are interviewed for the film). The scientists back up the scientific theory, but then some new age woman and others (some scientists, but mainly that woman) kept on saying things that were loosely based off of the theory. The movie basically passed that off as scientificly valid as quantum theory, but provides no serious argument as to why. I was really bothered by the fact that the movie was already drawing conclusions for me instead of posing questions as to different possibilities.

The movie may be interesting to some, and I don't discurage anybody from watching it, but please watch it with a grain of salt."

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Mystic Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    Ugh.

I've been watching the second half of this movie, and it seems like it's becoming more and more of the "new age" type crap. I don't recommend this movie anymore, and don't know what happened, it started off good, but the second half has been nothing but pure crap. I actually came to find out that among the legimate scientists being interviewed, they also interviewed a new age hippie as well (the movie doesn't give you any names/credentials of the people until the end).

Apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way. Here's a comment taken off of imdb.com

"The movie got a lot of the quantum theory and neurology right, but then it proceeds to make a lot of wild tangential claims that are loosely based on the theory and pass it off as the absolute truth. Anybody with a advanced physics background (my job requires an advanced math and physics background) will be deeply turned off (despite the fact that a number of physicists and neurologists are interviewed for the film). The scientists back up the scientific theory, but then some new age woman and others (some scientists, but mainly that woman) kept on saying things that were loosely based off of the theory. The movie basically passed that off as scientificly valid as quantum theory, but provides no serious argument as to why. I was really bothered by the fact that the movie was already drawing conclusions for me instead of posing questions as to different possibilities.

The movie may be interesting to some, and I don't discurage anybody from watching it, but please watch it with a grain of salt."

Ya, I knew it'd end up as some sort of pseudo, science guru type of nonsense. I even asked you if it was like that after our workout

Banned
    I have seen it. It was very interesting (the concept more so then the story...the story was crap lol) but it was a decent movie. I learned a lot about quantum physics, and its a fascinating concept...however...there is not proof that Im aware of.