Thread: Squat Str. & Vertical Jump Correlation??

Squat Str. & Vertical Jump Correlation??

I've been trying to figure out if there is any correlation between the vertical jump height for people and their squat str. Now i don't squat much, not even double my body weight, although my vertical jump is fairly respectful, at ~30inches.

Since i dont squat much at all, what about u guys who squat 2.5 and 3 times your body weight, do guys have really large vertical jumps?? Anyone...?
    Height: 6' 1/2" Age: 24

Current Status: The brace is off....
    Weight: 208 lbs.

Back in action...

There is not a high correlation between squat weights and vertical jump. There was a good thread on t-nation about this. Apparently, most great jumpers have very little dip when they jump, and extremely high power generation over a short range. A squatter rarely trains power at the very top of the ROM (which is typically the easiest part), and so has no significant advantage. However, olympic pull movements are very highly correlated, as the hip snap during a pull is quite similar to jumping and is all about power.

Basically, squatting is good for deep bent knee movements, but there are much better programs for improving a vertical jump.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

MilliVanilli
    There are better ways to train for jumping but there is a positive correlation between jumping and squating. Its not going to hurt you to train squat, infact it made my vert go from something laughable to something respectable, along with everyone else that I've trained squating with...we quickly learned this when we played pick up games of volleyball last summer.
    Blood, sweat, and tears.

Only inasmuch as it strengthens the hips to allow for the other qualities required.

Once you're past a certain level of strength, they don't correlate.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

so you are saying that possibly dead lifts could increase vertical jump more then squats would? or what other lifting movements that most people do?

Back in action...

Quote Originally Posted by emjlr3
    so you are saying that possibly dead lifts could increase vertical jump more then squats would? or what other lifting movements that most people do?
    Yes. But again, not as much as a power exercise, like cleans (particularly power cleans).

However, pylometrics are probably superior to any sort of weight training for increasing vertical jump. The two in combination are probably optimal though.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

A lot of it is technique, and just knowing how to "turn on". I've seen guys who can only squat 275 but can jump 35'' verts.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK
    A lot of it is technique, and just knowing how to "turn on". I've seen guys who can only squat 275 but can jump 35'' verts.
    sounds like me from back in highschool, same height i am now but 30lbs lighter=lots of ups...i could dunk with 2 hands from a stand still....and i was lucky if i could do 225 for a couple parrellel

i actually had a basketball game today and can still throw it down with 1 hand, took me a few games to get it back, but im working on catching 2 handed oops now, trying to get it back for when i start going down the beach for over the summer, basektball all day...clubin all night...good ****!

anywho, so i already do deads usually once a week, if i were to add power cleans into my split, when do u think i should add it, and what do u think i should take out in its place, if anything

right now im doing chest-arms-legs-shoulders-back split

Back in action...

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Yes. But again, not as much as a power exercise, like cleans (particularly power cleans).

However, pylometrics are probably superior to any sort of weight training for increasing vertical jump. The two in combination are probably optimal though.

Indeed. Pylometrics is where its at to train for jumping.

Box squats and explosive movements are great too.
    Blood, sweat, and tears.

MilliVanilli
    sounds like me from back in highschool, same height i am now but 30lbs lighter=lots of ups...i could dunk with 2 hands from a stand still....and i was lucky if i could do 225 for a couple parrellel

i actually had a basketball game today and can still throw it down with 1 hand, took me a few games to get it back, but im working on catching 2 handed oops now, trying to get it back for when i start going down the beach for over the summer, basektball all day...clubin all night...good ****!

anywho, so i already do deads usually once a week, if i were to add power cleans into my split, when do u think i should add it, and what do u think i should take out in its place, if anything

right now im doing chest-arms-legs-shoulders-back split

If you ask anyone who has trained before strictly for the purpose of jumping they'll tell you its mostly in technique and the muscle thats most important is the calfs.

I know a small guy on another board that has a ridiculous vert and is like 5'10 and can easily dunk. He has videos posted of his vert and dunks.
    Blood, sweat, and tears.

i realize this, but I've always wanted to incorporate cleans into my regimine, and im not training just to increase my vert, but it would be a welcome side effect

Back in action...

i realize this, but I've always wanted to incorporate cleans into my regimine, and im not training just to increase my vert, but it would be a welcome side effect
    IMO if your goals are 1.)Strength 2.) vert then squats is as good as you can get.

I agree that plyometrics (sp?) are superior to squats (or anything else) for pure vert. But I personally have noticed an increase in vert from just doing squats. You're right - the added vert is more of a side effect.

In High School, I weighed 165, squatted 435 and could dunk (just barely - I'm 5-10). It's amazing how the vert goes down when the age and bodyweight go up!

i hear ya

Back in action...

Footballer
    I squat around the 360 1 rep range, and jump around 36 inches.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!