The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Debate: best splits/routines

After reading another post I was wondering what everyone thought was the "best" routine/split. I know that everyone is different and reacts differently, just curious what everyone thought. Some think full body, others think three day split, four day split, ect..... Personally, for hypertrophy I would have to go with HST (hypertrophy specific training). Lets hear 'em

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Trying to learn on the fly
    you answered the question in your post. whatever works best for you

What is the goal? To acheive the highest LBM, assuming diet is perfect given your current routine? What about bringing up weak points? Specialization?

There's generally a lot more than 1 goal, and so to say "best" is vague. Specific parameters are important.

At any rate, the answer is going to be that we don't know. It may be helpful, if you define best, to ask what everyone feels like has worked "best" for them.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralDan

:withstupi
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    For me, personally, I am liking the legs/push/pull (3x/week) routine that I am on right now. I'm making gains and am satisfied with them so far (just hope to keep gaining).

But yeah, everyone reacts differently.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    For me, personally, I am liking the legs/push/pull (3x/week) routine that I am on right now. I'm making gains and am satisfied with them so far (just hope to keep gaining).

But yeah, everyone reacts differently.
    i am likewise on the legs/push/pull routine, with a few of my own personal tweaks. Fixation, i'm curious to the specifics of your routine. Care to share?
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IZich
    i am likewise on the legs/push/pull routine, with a few of my own personal tweaks. Fixation, i'm curious to the specifics of your routine. Care to share?
    Sure, here it is.

~~Monday (Legs)
    -ATF Squats
    -Calf Raises
    -SLDL
    -DB Lunges
    ~~Wednesday (Chest)
    -BB Flat Bench Press (alt. Incline)
    -DB Incline Bench Press (alt. Flat)
    -DB Chest Fly
    -Dips
    ~~Friday (Back)
    -Deadlifts
    -Chinups
    -BB Rows
    -BB Shrugs

I do Cardio on Tues/Thurs, and sometimes Sat. I also work abs 1-2x a week, train forearms directly once a week, and sometimes train biceps directly once a week. Oh, and I also work out my neck 2x a week.

Also, I was thinking about adding in some DB Lateral Raises on Chest day to finish off the delts. And also thinking of adding Cleans/Snatches to Chest day, making it more of a Hip/Chest day. What do you think, IZich?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-17-2005 at 03:09 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralDan
    What I was wondering was what has worked best for you. Sorry I didn't make it clear enough for everyone.

Read his journal. Read all the journals. Sorry to be blunt, but the answers are all there: In the Journals.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    Read his journal. Read all the journals. Sorry to be blunt, but the answers are all there: In the Journals.
    Not necessarily. Journals can be new routines that people are trying. They can be a lot of different things. What I wanted to know was what split people liked the best, thought worked best for them, whatever they defined as best. Didn't think I would have to narrow it done to best routine for bulking, cutting, maintaining, the food you were eating, sleep and everything else. I wanted to get some ideas on what routines worked for others, not because I need a routine, because I was curious. I have read a lot of threads where people said another lifter should be doing this routine and then another response claiming a different routine was better. I thought if some of the advanced lifters could post some routines that had worked for them it would help the newer guys find one that works for them instead of having to keep asking for help. There are a lot of threads that are related to split and I thought it would be a lot easier for someone to look at one thread instead of having to look through the journals. Like I said before, I know there isn't a best routine and everyone responds differently, just wanted to know what has worked for others. Maybe someone has a sick split and doesn't have a journal, they could post it here.
    Last edited by Mike G; 03-16-2005 at 08:23 PM.

I doubt anybody's got any really exceptional split. I train for size and strength together, so I usually do semi-powerlifting routines, but I've put on good weight over the past 2.5 years (I'm about 210/~9% and was 140/~10% when I started). I like my Westside splits the best, but here's a list of routines I've tried and my thoughts (using memory and my journal):

I. Push/Pull/Speed (running)/Rest, Repeat
    ..Lots of exercises done both push/pull (legs were on pull, abs on push) days ... mainly to failure.
    -I felt like this split was a bit too frequent, even as a beginner given how hard I was hitting my muscles. I would not always improve week to week. Bad routine overall.

II. WBB #1
    I did this during lacrosse season and so I wasn't expecting a ton. Over the course of about 4 months my bench went up around 10 lbs and everything else was pretty similar percentage-wise.

III. Add 50 lbs to your bench
    I liked this program and I think I did it at an ideal time. I only ended up adding about 25 lbs to my bench, but over 2 months that's still pretty good. I put on a good amount of weight all over by working on progression. If I didn't get sick midway through it would have been even better.

IV. HST
    I did this routine while getting in shape for cross country. It was really boring, but I'd say it is a solid routine. I didn't lose any size and I cut some fat off while drastically improving cardiovascularly. Good routine, but not real magic.

V.
    Saturdays/Tuesdays/Wednesdays:
    Bench x 3
    Rows x 3
    Military x 3
    Curls x 3
    (Around 80% of Maxes with medium-high reps)
    Sunday:
    Light Power Cleans
    Hamstring Curls

This was done during cross country season. I should have deadlifted, but squats were too rough on my knees. I kept my strength up in the lifts that I did here, but everything else dropped drastically. Probably a dumb routine.

VI. Westside
    I love this routine. I usually add 20lbs to my bench every 2 months, enjoy working out and end up improving in size and strength in everything throughout my body.

VII. Kyle's Russian Bench
    Good for adding strength and to an extent size in areas worked by bench/incline/power cleans/squats, but neglects back a bit too much. I added 30 lbs both times I did this. I think it's a very good routine.

VIII. Push/Pull/Legs
    I did this when I found myself pressed for time and having a hard time getting in my workouts to start college. I was really dissapointed by this routine, and part of it was my diet/drinking/eating and the routine being boring in general. I lost a whole lot of strength and size and didn't get very cut. My least favorite.

IX. ABBH
    This got me back on track. I got close to back where I was, stayed pretty lean and bulked up a bunch. Great routine.

So that's what I've done so far. I guess I haven't done a 4-5 day bodybuilder split, but both times I did once a week exercises it wasn't very successful strength-wise or sizeways (mainly because my strength wasn't increasing).

Some stuff I'd like to look into trying ..
    5x5, DC Method (I used some of his stuff in the past to great success), 8 weeks to a record bench (looks really promising) and just general periodization-strength training.

Right now I'm just about to go back to Westside until August or later, though. I'm trying to bulk to 225 and then stay there and lean out. After I've got a really well-proportioned, lean body I will probably start the periodization stuff for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizatch
    I doubt anybody's got any really exceptional split. I train for size and strength together, so I usually do semi-powerlifting routines, but I've put on good weight over the past 2.5 years (I'm about 210/~9% and was 140/~10% when I started). I like my Westside splits the best, but here's a list of routines I've tried and my thoughts (using memory and my journal):

thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for. Lots of splits with some opinions on how they worked. I have done 5x5 for my bench routine and loved it. Made some big gains. I also loved the 50 bench workout and gained over 50. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Mike G; 03-17-2005 at 05:09 AM.

Full body workout or twice a week workouts like upper/lower.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I was doing a 5-day split for over a year but I was a newbie so it was working great. Now that I have limited time with work/classes I've adopted a 3-day powerlifting split and I'm getting stronger week by week, I only spend 60 minutes at the gym total and I'm resting more than ever.

Banned
    full body (2 workouts in a day) twice a week

I think this is the best for fat gain issues (my halfbaked theory), is that you are not constantly bulking.. You stuff yourself the workout day and the day after, then eat at maintence other times