Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking About Getting a Gun

Thinking About Getting a Gun

One of my buddies was out last night with three friends and their wives. As they walked to their cars, they were confronted by two guys, asking for spare change. He went to grab a dollar and the one guy pulls a gun and tells them all to lay down. My buddy says take it easy you can have all of our money, the guy hauls off and pistol whips him, I haven't seen his face but his wife says he had to get stiches and it is all bruised. The guys basically got off scot free and the cops basically say chances of catching them is basically pointless.

I understand that if they had a gun it probably would have made the situation worse, but I am concerned about my home and family. Lately a lot of people have been breaking into homes and holding up the family while they are sleeping. I have a great fear that I will be helpless if someone breaks in with a gun and I have sit there while they do whatever to my family.

I have been thinking about getting a gun even before this happened to my buddy. So my question is, for you that have guns, what do you suggest to a guy who only has used rifles and shotguns and right now is not licensed to own a gun. Also anyone deal with any situations with concealment. Thanks.

I do not rely on a permission slip from the government to protect myself.

For home defense, I like a shotgun. 20" barrel. You'll never have to pull the trigger.

As far as handguns go, it all depends on what you need it for. Are you realy going to carry it concealed? If so, you need to consider how and where, and that will deterimine the size of the weapon.

If not, you need to consider cost, accuracy, reliability, stopping power, and your ability to fire the gun.

My wife pefers a revolver, as there is less chance of something going wrong when you pull the trigger. She has no trouble firing a .357, and she's tiny.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

A gun would have done nothing to protect them in that situation. As sucky as it was, they did the right thing and got off relatively light. That's the breaks.

For home defense, you've got the advantage, and a gun is significantly more useful. A shotgun is often recommended, but I prefer a pistol for a few practical reasons, all having to do with keeping one hand free for using a phone, opening doors, etc.

If you're going for intimidation factor, NOTHING beats a large, loud dog, period.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Try this.

In all seriousness though, my dad has a semi-automatic 9mm pistol in his dresser. I've never had to use nor see it be used, and hope I never do. Its a pretty common choice, and its easy to conceal. If I ever bought a handgun, that would be my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg

For home defense, I like a shotgun. 20" barrel. You'll never have to pull the trigger.
    This is correct. The pump of a shotgun is one hell of an intimidating noise. And you can bet in a quiet house at night an intruder will hear it from anywhere in the house. If they know what's best, they'll be leaving briskly.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

for home defense get something with lots of stopping power and a very high intimidation factor (any 40-50 cal revolver or low guage shotgun), reliability is also very important. concealed weapons usually dont need to scare the guy as much because if you draw it, your putting a bullet in him and it will probably be at close range too, so it doesnt HAVE to be high powered, but dont get any kind of pu$$y @$$ gun that isnt going to do enough damage to prevent them from drawing if you hit them in the torso. also, when in doubt, empty your magazine. once you start firing dont stop until they are on the ground or you run out.

if your worried about home invaders you definately need an alarm system if you dont already have one.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    heh someone would really regret breaking into my house. my pops has a glock 45. I have swords, knives, caltrops, throwing knives, beat sticks, etc...many of which are within grabbing distance from my bed. I dont mess around...the maid can clean up any blood we make.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Quote Originally Posted by crazedwombat
    heh someone would really regret breaking into my house. my pops has a glock 45. I have swords, knives, caltrops, throwing knives, beat sticks, etc...many of which are within grabbing distance from my bed. I dont mess around...the maid can clean up any blood we make.

i have 2 Bo staffs, 2 Escrima sticks, 4 pairs of nunchakus, 1 katana, and a mag lite flashlight(lol) all IN my bed (about spelling, its been two long since i was in martial arts...) i still have a bunk bed from when i was little and for some reason, i store shi* up there. i have like 6 books, cards, and all sorts of other stuff up there. somehow sleeping on a twin sized matress w/ only 60% of its space available suits me just fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by jack_of_all
    i have 2 Bo staffs, 2 Escrima sticks, 4 pairs of nunchakus, 1 katana, and a mag lite flashlight(lol) all IN my bed (about spelling, its been two long since i was in martial arts...) i still have a bunk bed from when i was little and for some reason, i store shi* up there. i have like 6 books, cards, and all sorts of other stuff up there. somehow sleeping on a twin sized matress w/ only 60% of its space available suits me just fine though.
    lol. ninja freaks.
    well i guess someday it'll pay off.
    DONT MESS WITH ME I BB!
    Last edited by IZich; 03-18-2005 at 11:13 AM.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

I've been thinking about the same thing lately, because I'm often in the "bad side of town" and in situations where I'm carryng a lot of money (for my grandfather's business). I've also had a shotgun pulled on me before, and two friends got robbed with a gun stuck to their face, so yeah, sometimes you wanna be able to pull out an equalizer.

If you're looking for a handgun, size doesn't matter if you can't hit anything with it. I'd recommend when you do get a gun, taking it up to a range and practicing as often as you can with it. You don't have to be Annie Oakley, but you need to be able to hit common targets with proficiency.

I was looking at a Beretta Tomcat to wear in an ankle strap. Very small, but extremely concealed, and within reach if I need it. Personally, I like Beretta's products, but Smith & Wesson is also really good, so check their sites out.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Shotgun for home defense, definitely. Saw off the barrel and the stock if you want something more convenient to carry (just don't take it outside the house).

For a pistol, I'm generally a big fan of lower calibers, for accuracy reasons, but if it's just for defense purposes, accuracy won't be that big of an issue because most incidents you'll run into will be close-range.

Another thing to consider is that, if the worst case scenario happens and you have to fire off a few rounds, bullets don't magically stop when they hit walls, windows, whatever. If you're in a relatively populated area, you might want to stick with something like a 9mm. A 9mm will still take somebody down but doesn't quite have the penetration and range of higher calibers.

By all means avoid getting a .50 cal. That's about as worthless a handgun as you can get. As far as I'm concerned, anything bigger than a .45 is pointless in a handgun.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

We have shotguns and rifles. A shotgun is awesome. A 10 gauge slug will stop anybody, anytime, anywhere. Well, maybe if they're on LSD. Then 2.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

357 is the way to go, man! Thing will take down even the biggest mother****er. I love revolvers though, so my answer's a little biased.

If you don't want a revolver, go with a Cult 45.

For home defense though, yeah, shotguns are the best. I recommend a Mossberg 590 cruiser. It's pump action, light, and no butt.

If you want a shotgun that's a little more fancy, check out the Spas 12.
    Last edited by Mission; 03-18-2005 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superior_will
    We have shotguns and rifles. A shotgun is awesome. A 10 gauge slug will stop anybody, anytime, anywhere. Well, maybe if they're on LSD. Then 2.
    LOL. Do they get superpowers from the hallucinogenic flashbacks? I think the drug you're looking for is PCP...

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Shotgun wise the Mossberg 500 is a really good choice http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976281188.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    LOL. Do they get superpowers from the hallucinogenic flashbacks? I think the drug you're looking for is PCP...
    Damned acronyms! Thanks for correcting me.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I like revolvers, simple to use jsut pull trigger. Will always work. I too say go with .357. You can try differant loads or .38.

Also be honest with yourself if you want it for carry buy a carry gun. If you buy something also for target shooting it will be to big. I got a snob nuse, concealed hammer and shooting grove. Nothing to get hung up anything.

In the situation with your friends, gun probably would not have helped. Hard to say. Since they bad guy had his up before he knew it. Doesn't mean it won't help in other situations.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    LOL, I was gonna suggest that he probably meant PCP as well, then I saw your response.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    For a toy, buy something that's fun.

For defense, buy something that goes bang everytime you pull the trigger.

I have a .45 1911 model that is more reliable than any other gun I've ever held - it's my choice.

For someone new to guns, get them a .357 revolver DA/SA or DA only.

For field carry, I'd suggest a DA/SA or SA only revolver in .454 Casull (which can also fire .45 Long Colt) or .44 Mag (which will also fire .44 spec). Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk are tough to beat.

But as others have said, if home defense is your primary concern, you CANNOT beat a scattergun. Get a good 12 guage pump action, learn how to use it.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Out of curiosity (don't mean to start anything), anyone ever have any experiences where having a gun helped them fight off or prevent a home invasion or something of the sort?
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

I've had two incidents in the past six months when carrying my gun to/from work saved me some headache.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I've got some experience. My .45 saved me from having to go to prison on child rape charges. Well, to be fair, my shovel played an equal part.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    I've had two incidents in the past six months when carrying my gun to/from work saved me some headache.
    Did it help you get a basketball off the roof AND open a beer?

****in right.