The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Wannabebig New Member
    Genacide , I'm over here by Grand Rapids . I'm still waiting for my pistol permit renewal . I went through all the crap the first time so you think it would be quick for my renewal .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

If it hasn't been suggested already, or to echo the suggestions, a quick gun retention course + skills training would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares
    Just train your dog to do his buisness on your neighbours lawn. If you really want a good gun for home defense I'd recomend either an automatic SPAS 12 shotgun or a mac 10.
    Why would you want a mac 10 for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    Why would you want a mac 10 for home defense?
    What else is the backup to your M60? Duh.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I work in southcentral LA, it is impossible to get a concealed weapons permit here. it sucks. for home protection I keep a semiauto 12 gauge by me bed with the shot ready. I dont want to have tow worry about pumping rounds into the chamber while shooting at anyone. I keep it simple just pull the damn trigger. As for gun safety I dont have kids but i first started learning around 6. Start em young. 200 years ago every american 10 year old could shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by jbarba
    200 years ago every american 10 year old could shoot.
    Sort of the same thing now, except all the 10yr olds that can shoot live in the inner city

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    Sort of the same thing now, except all the 10yr olds that can shoot live in the inner city
    lmao
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

nah these dumb ****s hold the gun sideways and usually never hit what they are shooting at. They are more concerned with looking cool while shooting than actually shooting straight

i shot in a range sideways once, and yeh its considerabley harder to hit stuff with no advantages except that it looks cool... o' course if you get in a gun fight you cant look that cool when the other guy is smart enough to just blast your @$$ the right way

A couple of things bro. A lot of people have made the suggestion of getting a shotgun, which is definitely the way to go. I'd recommend a Remington 870 as you can pretty much beat the hell out of it, run it over, throw it in the mud, and it shoots like it was straight out of the box. Add to that the fact that they are pretty cheap as far as guns go, and you've got a great combo.

The one thing you've got to consider that I didn't notice anybody mention is the penetration certain projectiles are going to make in your home. A couple of people have mentioned using a low gauge shotgun with some slugs. That would be a fine combo if you were a good marksman and lived by yourself. Because you live with your family, you've got to take that into consideration. Slugs, or buckshot make a DANGEROUS combo if you've got little ones in the house. Birdshot while def. less effective than buck or slugs is a lot safer to use throughout the house. You don't have to worry about it making it through the walls and into a room where your family may be.

Just a couple of things to consider. The biggest thing you've got to realize, is that a gun is not a damn noise maker. If you pull a gun on somebody, you damn well better be able to use it. Don't buy something because of shock factor. If you do that, and you aren't fully prepared to use it, you may end up getting yourself killed.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

:withstupi Very good advice Andrew.

If you did go ahead and use lesser velocity rounds/guns, you could still shoot multiple times quickly and not penatrate walls.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    The one thing you've got to consider that I didn't notice anybody mention is the penetration certain projectiles are going to make in your home. A couple of people have mentioned using a low gauge shotgun with some slugs. That would be a fine combo if you were a good marksman and lived by yourself. Because you live with your family, you've got to take that into consideration. Slugs, or buckshot make a DANGEROUS combo if you've got little ones in the house. Birdshot while def. less effective than buck or slugs is a lot safer to use throughout the house. You don't have to worry about it making it through the walls and into a room where your family may be.
    This was mentioned earlier, and it's good advice.

I'd still use buckshot for the penetration - but then again, a barrel full of birdshot at close range will do the trick pretty well.

This is why a rifle is a poor choice for home defense if you live in a crowded area. If you're out in the country, though, whip out that SKS and unload into the bastard.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Yea I'd use buckshot too but only if I knew how to handle a firearm very proficiently. The chances of the shotty getting away from a less experienced person is much higher with buckshot than birdshot. All it takes is for little Susie to be in the wrong place at the wrong time for something really bad to happen.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    Yea I'd use buckshot too but only if I knew how to handle a firearm very proficiently. The chances of the shotty getting away from a less experienced person is much higher with buckshot than birdshot. All it takes is for little Susie to be in the wrong place at the wrong time for something really bad to happen.
    Ahhh, but you're assuming that I DON'T want to "accidentally" kill my children.

They're a real drain on the wallet, you know.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Holding the gun sideways makes it harder for it to be knocked out of your hand if someone swipes at it. While its not likely for this to happen, if you're shooting at someone who's close to you need to worry about the gun staying in your hand instead of you missing. I know its hard to swallow, especially because you don't really learn this kinda stuff in formal gun training, but if you try it you'll see how hard much harder it is.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

all i have is a bunch of pellet guns from my early obscession of firearms...i hardly use them anymore but i do have a .22 caliber pellet gun that can easily blow through a small tree. i get like 5 shots from one co2 canister...its ugly...its a bolt action single shot pellet pistol. while it prob wont kill somebody, it will deff. hurt like a sonofab*tch
    Last edited by Brotherofiron; 03-20-2005 at 07:43 PM.
    CLEAN BULKIN' LIKE A VULKIN'!!

18 years old
    180lbs

Bench--300lbs (as of 2/23/07)
    Deads--415lbs (as of 2/20/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherofiron
    all i have is a bunch of pellet guns from my early obscession of firearms...i hardly use them anymore but i do have a .22 caliber pellet gun that can easily blow through a small tree. i get like 5 shots from one co2 canister...its ugly...its a bolt action single shot pellet pistol. while it prob wont kill somebody, it will deff. hurt like a sonofab*tch
    I think you'd be better of leaving the house than using that lol

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    What else is the backup to your M60? Duh.
    All you need is a grenade launcher You might take off a small portion of the house but you'll get him for sure.
    Last edited by HahnB; 03-20-2005 at 07:45 PM.

hell, just rig the place with C4 and leave when the criminals show.

at nejar, its not that hard to understand, when pushed sideways it pulls along your grip and not across it. i do worry however that the person would swipe up or down and knock it out. but these are more awkward movements so you are right about it making things harder. no one ever told me why they held for a reason that made any sense until yours.

Quote Originally Posted by jack_of_all
    hell, just rig the place with C4 and leave when the criminals show.
    Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Don't worry about it, I didn't realize it either till someone who was an ole banger turned straight explained it at a self defense course my ole shootwresting coach was teaching. He said real bangers will hold it straight when shooting distance and shoot sideways at close range. The reason why you see in movies and stuff bangers shooting sideways is cause its their thing.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Here you go - http://www.joebrower.com/PHILE_PILE/...le_minigun.jpg - thats 18,000 rounds per minute(300 per second) there.

Age-17
    Height-5'8.5"
    Weight-160

Maxes as of-5/26/05
    Bench-205x3(estimated 225)
    Squat-305x1
    Deadlift(sumo)-335x1
    Hang Clean-225x3(estimated 245)

Check out my journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65381

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    These guns are great for home defense....

In counter-strike.

Not that they wouldn't work IRL, but you'd really like something a bit more reliable and less fancy, especially for the shotgun. A simple pump would suffice (and yes, I know the SPAS can be operated as a pump).
    A pump? Seriously bruh... you need something with a high rate of cappin!
    6'2 206

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    http://www.gunsandammomag.com/tiger_021105/

that is all you need in life...

"The fact that it says replica on the side of your gun, and the fact that it says Desert Eagle .50 on the side of mine..."
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Quote Originally Posted by crazedwombat
    [url]
    "The fact that it says replica on the side of your gun, and the fact that it says Desert Eagle .50 on the side of mine..."
    Simply awesome movie. But my favorite line is when Bricktop is asked if he wanted a lump of sugar in his tea and he says, "Nope, I'm sweet enough." Just the way he looked and talked made me piss my pants laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by YeahMan21
    I SERIOUSLY advise against carrying a gun concealed without the proper permit. If you get pulled over for speeding, and they find you have a gun hidden, you are in some deep f'n trouble.
    Your car can not be searched unless there is just cause, like a joint burning in the ashtray, or a gun sitting on the seat next to you, or a decaying body in the back seat.

If you know that you don't have to say 'yes' when Officer Friendly asks if he can search your car, and you don't run around doing stuff that would make him search your car, and you don't get yanked out of the car and arrested...

Of course, I would never suggest someone break a LAW, I mean, that would be wrong. I'm just telling you I don't need permission from the government to protect myself.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.