The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Macronutrient questions

I have been lifting weights for a while now but I don't like taking a lot of supplements. I have done a lot of research on many supplements and most of them have serious side effects. I have learned from experience that the manufacturer's site only tells you what they want you to hear. For example, one of my mom's patients (she is an optometrist) was taking creatine and as it turns out, it also contained roids! Which is why I eat mainly natural foods, except for multivitamins, chromium, and EFAs.
    But my main question is: Are their any sites or books that detail the amounts of macronutrients (proteins,carbs, and fats) per gram of food, i.e. chicken breast?
    Last edited by Big_Leo; 03-18-2005 at 05:31 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You could have read your post without a problem with the original font size.

No matter what your mom says, creatine does not contain AAS!

As to your question, try www.fitday.com
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

I think your mom was feeding you a line because she doesn't understand how creatine works or what it is.

If ANY creatine had AAS in it, it would sell like hotcakes.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgarMex
    You could have read your post without a problem with the original font size.

No matter what your mom says, creatine does not contain AAS!

As to your question, try www.fitday.com
    The info about creatine was from a magazine article....I guess that's an unreliable source.

The media is often wrong about nutritional supplement-related information.

I repeat: creatine does not contain AAS!! It is a substance your own body produces, it is not a hormone.

Read the posts about creatine, ask other members of this board, they will tell you the same thing.
    Last edited by EdgarMex; 03-18-2005 at 07:23 PM.
    Edgar V.

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I think your mom was feeding you a line because she doesn't understand how creatine works or what it is.

If ANY creatine had AAS in it, it would sell like hotcakes.
    I don't think that's it at all. She took a lot of med classes in college but enough about that..I always research supplements before I buy them because they can be harmful due to the fact that I'm an epileptic. Basically, I don't take protein powder or anything. My macronutrient intake always comes from natural sources.

There's nothing wrong with protein powder either, it's basically the same as the protein you get from meat or chicken or milk.
    Edgar V.

Wannabebig Member
    The media is often wrong about nutritional supplement-related information.

I repeat: creatine does not contain AAS!! It is a substance your own body produces, it is not a hormone.

Read the posts about creatine, ask other members of this board, they will tell you the same thing.
    I remember that when I first started taking creatine I could jump higher after a couple of days.
    But the body always tries to remain in a homeostatic state, which basically means that putting too much of a substance will cause the body to shut down most, if not all, production of that substance. I'm not saying that that will happen with creatine but it does happen with a lot of other substances
    I mentioned in another post that I am an epileptic. Which doesn't allow me to take supplements like especially glutamine.
    Last edited by Big_Leo; 03-18-2005 at 07:46 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Leo
    [ For example, one of my mom's patients (she is an optometrist) was taking creatine and as it turns out, it also contained roids!
    I'd post what I think about this, but I'd probably find myself banned.

Banned
    I have done a lot of research on many supplements and most of them have serious side effects.
    It certainly sounds like it too .
    Last edited by Vido; 03-18-2005 at 07:44 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    I'd post what I think about this, but I'd probably find myself banned.
    heh, heh
    Sorry about that, the info was gotten from a magazine article. I usually research supplements on reputable sites, i.e. the yale med school site.

Wannabebig Member
    There's nothing wrong with protein powder either, it's basically the same as the protein you get from meat or chicken or milk.
    My condition (epilepsy) limits choices of supplements and most protein powder contains glutamine which is an excitatory chemical that is used by the muscles as well as the brain. For me, excess glutamine would cause too many neurons to start firing off. The end result, a seizure.
    Too much protein also puts stress on your liver (there's enough stress on my liver with the medication I am currently taking) and the added aminos that most protein powders contain makes matters even worse. This is because aminos become peptides which then become protein but there's no need to worry if you don't take it in excess.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    It certainly sounds like it too .
    Thanks. Research should always be done from a site that you know is reliable. For example, if you buy something from ON don't go to their site because they will list the pros about their product(s) and omit the cons

Wannabebig Member
    FitDay.com helped a bit but my actual question is whether or not their is a place (website, book, anything!!) where I can find the macronutreint content of foods. No fast food, mind you.

Banned
    Thanks. Research should always be done from a site that you know is reliable. For example, if you buy something from ON don't go to their site because they will list the pros about their product(s) and omit the cons
    I'm fairly certain he was being sarcastic.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    I'm fairly certain he was being sarcastic.
    Hmmm.. I'm not very sarcastic.

My condition (epilepsy) limits choices of supplements and most protein powder contains glutamine which is an excitatory chemical that is used by the muscles as well as the brain. For me, excess glutamine would cause too many neurons to start firing off. The end result, a seizure.
    Too much protein also puts stress on your liver (there's enough stress on my liver with the medication I am currently taking) and the added aminos that most protein powders contain makes matters even worse. This is because aminos become peptides which then become protein but there's no need to worry if you don't take it in excess.
    glutamine in the brain? I don't think so. You are thinking of glutamate

Banned
    Hmmm.. I'm not very sarcastic.
    If you were being sarcastic in your reply to him, you did a pretty bad job at conveying it in a written reply. Whatever though, I don't want to be involved in this thread.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    glutamine in the brain? I don't think so. You are thinking of glutamate
    Oh yeah! My bad, it is glutamate or is it glutamic acid. I don't remember but what I do know is that my neurologist advised me against taking it.
    Damn, I can't remember whether it gets metabolized into glutamate or glutamic acid...

Wannabebig Member
    One more thing...enough sarcasm!!

Wannabebig Member
    Later people.

Oh yeah! My bad, it is glutamate or is it glutamic acid. I don't remember but what I do know is that my neurologist advised me against taking it.
    Damn, I can't remember whether it gets metabolized into glutamate or glutamic acid...
    glutamate is the base form of glutamic acid, but these are unrelated to glutamine

Do that voodoo that he do
    Protein has little effect on the liver. Excess protein could cause problems for the kidneys, as they are responsible for the filtering. This generally would only be an issue if one had a kidney problem.

Protein is simply a chain of amino acids. The body can only pass small chains of amino acids through the brush border of the small intestine. Large dietary proteins are broken down into groups of three or smaller: tripeptides (three amino acids), dipeptides (two amino acids), or single amino acids.

In this regard, additional single amino acids added to a protein powder really wouldn't be a concern in the way you've outlined. They CAN be a concern in that many of them compete with each other for carrier spots when crossing the border and a great inbalance can result in a deficiency.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo