Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name your most stubborn body parts and the excercises u do to improve them

Hybrid View

Name your most stubborn body parts and the excercises u do to improve them

The number one bodypart I can't stand of mine, is my forearms. Just not big enough...and they dont grow proportionately with my arms.

May be long arm syndrome, but I love big forearms because it is almost a way to guage a person's size and stength in regular street clothes.

What I have been doing for them is:

Curling my wrists and my forearms a little more upwards as I'm doing straight bar and dumbbell curls.

After each set I keep opening and closing my fists real hard for about a minute. This pump up gets your forearms real tight, then I jump right back to doing my set.

Forearm curls/reverse forearm curls.

Extra tight grip while gripping weights for any excercise.

Next is my BACK...

Just not wide enough man...and it is slow to grow and widen compared to my other body parts.

What I do is:

Extra wide grip pullups.

Wide grip seated rows.

Medium grip bent over rows.

Seated pulls with crossover grip cable.

Rear delt rows.

Any other suggestions for the best way to improve these body parts?

And what excercises have worked for your stubborn body parts?

Traps.. thousands of shrugs have made them one of my better body parts.
    6'2 206

My traps and forearms/wrists are definitely my worst semi-major muscle group. This summer I plan on bringing them up to par. For traps I'll be doing lots of seated shrugs, DB shrugs, power cleans and deadlifts. For wrists, deadlifts (I'll hold on the end of my last set), reverse curls and wrist curls.

Wannabebig Member
    Chest. My back grows like a f@cking weed. Arms and legs are moving along pretty good too. But my chest has actually regressed, and gotten worse over time. I am just going to begin pushing my chest really hard, more sets, more reps. Try getting serious about dumbells too. If my left should can hold up that is....

I'd have to say my most stubborn body part is my chest, although it's proportionally stronger than everything else (because when i was younger all i used to do was bench), it still looks too small.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

I wannabebig!
    my triceps, if i knew what to do to improve them they wouldnt be stubborn anymore

my most stubborn body part is by far my friggin bicep/upper arm. the core of my body is pretty well bulit; shoulders, bck,traps, even my forearms are pretty good....theose stupid biceps wont grow.......damn them...
    :alcoholic

My chest was always my smallest body part. After I threw in DB work and Dips, it grew much better, but still lags. My calves are the most stubborn. Doing heavy, paused reps have helped them to grow some, but not enough.

Wannabebig Member
    I would say my traps and my biceps. I have lifted for about a year, and they only grew the first month. I have been doing shrugs shrugs and more shrugs, no luck. And for my biceps, well dont care much about them.

Honestly I think people do too much direct trap work. IMO increasing your rows is going to be better than 8 different variations of shrugs.

I have too many weak bodyparts to list. Progress on the basics and gaining lots of weight is the only thing that has evened out those weaknesses.
    Last edited by smalls; 03-19-2005 at 05:05 PM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Chest. It's growing, just really, really slowly.
    My Stats
    Weight: 180
    Height: 5'8''

Chest. It's really wierd, because my shoulder's grow at an incredible rate and my chest (while good) can never keep up. My bis also never seems to keep up with my tris.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Triceps. Trying out supersets to see how that works out.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

traps definitely my traps...as ryuage stated, if i knew what to do to fix them...i wouldnt be posting in this thread
    CLEAN BULKIN' LIKE A VULKIN'!!

18 years old
    180lbs

Bench--300lbs (as of 2/23/07)
    Deads--415lbs (as of 2/20/07)

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    My chest is stubborn. My back and legs are moving along nicely, while my chest grows, but at half the pace. The thing that I've been doing lately to help my chest is alternating chest lifts between weeks. For example, on week 1, I'll do: Flat BB Bench Press, Incline DB Bench Press, Flat DB Chest Fly, Dips. And on week 2, I'll do: Incline BB Bench Press, Flat DB Bench Press, Flat DB Chest Fly, Dips. Then back to week 1 again.

Whereas I used to just do this every week: Flat BB Bench Press, Pec Deck, Arnold Press, CG Bench Press.

So, I think it's the combination of the recent switchup in the routine, and the continual change every week that's now stimulating my chest to do some growing. Also, my delts and tris are getting just as good of a workout if not a better one, without all the direct work.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    Due to personal experience, I agree with smalls. I used to shrug to no end, and while my traps began to grow in height, they where still very thin and I looked like I was always hunched over. Barbell rows have done more for my traps than shrungs ever did. But I still do shrungs like every other back day, just to keep them in the rotation. Variety is key, at least for my growth.

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheBL
    Due to personal experience, I agree with smalls. I used to shrug to no end, and while my traps began to grow in height, they where still very thin and I looked like I was always hunched over. Barbell rows have done more for my traps than shrungs ever did. But I still do shrungs like every other back day, just to keep them in the rotation. Variety is key, at least for my growth.
    I work out my traps twice a week, with the shrug machine and unilateral dumbell movements. I hold the dumbells in both hands, and shrug each side once, then shrug em both at the same time. Shrugging has worked wonders for me and im closing in on monster traps. but I think that upright rows may also be as effective if not more than shrugs.

BrotherofIron, you should definitely try the alternating dumbell shrugs and also doing upright rows while really focusing on your trap muscles lifting the weight.

Its weird that we all have muscles that grow easily and others that dont. I wonder why that is.

In my case, my chest and arms grow instantly. Its almost uncanny how fast they grow. Yet my back, forearms and legs grow as fast as molasses uphill in the winter.

Ice Veins, I too had disproportionately small forearms for a long time. I tried wrist curls, reverse curls, plate holds, grippers but nothing actually made my forearms bigger. I got strong as hell at these exercises but still had puny forearms. Then one day I bought a wrist roller and like a few weeks later people at work were saying I had Popeye arms. They practically grew over night. Anyway, I swear by my wrist roller and its now a crucial part of my GPP program.
    I am often asked by people at the gym "How do I lose fat from my tummy so my abs will show"
    My standard answer: "Get drunk and find yourself a sharp knife"

Bodyweight: 205lbs
    400lb Bench
    350lb Incline Bench
    605lb Deadlift
    285lb Push Press

Quote Originally Posted by TheMachine
    Ice Veins, I too had disproportionately small forearms for a long time. I tried wrist curls, reverse curls, plate holds, grippers but nothing actually made my forearms bigger. I got strong as hell at these exercises but still had puny forearms. Then one day I bought a wrist roller and like a few weeks later people at work were saying I had Popeye arms. They practically grew over night. Anyway, I swear by my wrist roller and its now a crucial part of my GPP program.
    Ya know what, I purchased the wrist roller, and used it for a while then sidelined it. I had be doing them often for a while, and cant recall the effect they had. I am going to get back to using that, if your forearms are as stubborn as mine then I need to follow that advice.

But it sounds like we are in the same boat, my wrist and forearms get stronger and stronger, but not that much BIGGER at all...I have always yearned for huge forearms, like i said earlier it is a testament to a person's strength. The neck and forearms may be the most visible body parts in a shirt, and if both are big they tend to make a person's physique as a whole look extremely powerful.

my bis for sure, tris grow great but bis never seem to keep up, plus my peak is almost non-existent (although I am approaching the end of a dirty dirty bulk )
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Wannabebig Member
    Calves and Forearms. I even have them on their own day. I started out really skinny so these parts are hard to grow. My attachment on my calves is also kind of high. It has been growing though so that's good.

my brain LOL!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    my brain LOL!
    What exercises do you do to improve that body part?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    What exercises do you do to improve that body part?
    i give it a massage once in awhile
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony