Thread: lifting weights 6 times a week

Wannabebig Member

lifting weights 6 times a week

I'm currently lifting weights 6 times a week, do you guys think this is to much? I started working out in september then quit for about 2 months and I was back at it in Febuary, some guy I know gave me a workout routine that was 4 days on 1 days then repeat again, what do you guys think about working out 6 times a week I just dont want to be overtraining, I dont think I am because im not sore after working out 6 times a week.

I used to be fat
    what's the routine? how much of your max are you working with?

Wannabebig Member
    DAY 1
    Chest and Traps

Bench Press 12,10,8,6
    Incline Dumbbell Press 3x8-10
    Pecdeck 3x10

Shrugs 3x8-10
    Upright Rows 3x8-10
    Cuban Press 2x8-10

Abs

DAY 2
    Back and Hamstrings

Stiff Legged Deadlifts 3x3
    Single Leg Hyperextensions 3x8-10
    Drop Set Seated Leg Curls 3x8-10

Chinups 2xfailure
    Bent Over Rows 3x8-10
    Dumbbell Pullovers 2x15
    Dumbbell Rows 2x15
    Stiff Arm Pulldowns

DAY 3
    Deltoids and Triceps

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press 12,10,8,6
    Incline Side Lateral Raises 2x15
    Side Lateral Raises 3x8-10

Dips 2xfailure
    Overhead Barbell Extensions 2x15
    Kickbacks 2x8-10
    Drop Set Pressdowns 3x8-10

Abs

DAY 4

Quads and Biceps

Squats 12,10,8,6
    Walking Lunges 2x15
    Single Leg Extensions 3x15-20

Preacher Curls (With Straight Bar) 3x6 followed by 6 partials
    Hammer curls 3x8-10
    Standing Concentration Curls 3x8-10

Superset: Seated Calf Raises 3x10 with Standing Calf Raises 3x20

Soreness is not a useful indicator of progress.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

as long as your giving each muscle group time to heal fully, you should not have any problem working out 6 times a week...if you feel your overtraining (because you are the only one that can tell) then back off a bit or take some extra days off... also what nash said is true, just cause your not hurting anymore does not mean you are fully healed
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    What Nash meant was: Being sore is not the only indicator that you are progressing(getting bigger\stronger)..
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Everyone always says that you don't get bigger in the gym, you get bigger when you are recovering from the gym... If you are going for size i would say 3-4 days in the gym, if you are trying to get "cut-up" 5-6 would be optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    as long as your giving each muscle group time to heal fully, you should not have any problem working out 6 times a week...if you feel your overtraining (because you are the only one that can tell) then back off a bit or take some extra days off... also what nash said is true, just cause your not hurting anymore does not mean you are fully healed

I've been getting stronger each week ever since I dropped from training 5 days to 3 days. If 6 days is working for you and you enjoy it then there's no reason to switch.

I would love to be able to lift 6 days a week but after seeing how much my progress sped up after getting more rest days I dont think I could go back to such a heavy schedule.

Hardcore
    Bron. I agree with some of the other guys. If you feel like you can get enough adequate rest, and you can still make productive gains in the weight room, than only you can determine how many days a week you are training. There is no way I could work out 6 times/week. I am just too tired, and not fully recovered after the last session.

I normally workout 3 times/week, but some weeks I only get 2 workouts in because one of my other sessions was just too intense, and I feel like I haven't gotten proper rest after my last session.

One suggestion I would give to you would be to increase your intensity during the workouts. Example, rest only 15-30 seconds between sets, change up your reps scheme, and try to always get to failure on every set. This will of course make the workout harder, and it will cause your body to need some ample rest time. However, if what you are doing is still causing you to get good gains keep it up.

Working out 6 times a week is a hard thing to do, and it might be a good idea to try to get a little more intense, and only get in there 3 times a week.
    "I workout to music that makes me want to stomp on baby kittens." -David "Kick Ass" Davis

"The intended manipulation of mechanical work applied in order to stimulate a specific metabolic response."
    -Dr. Ben Bocchocchio on the Definition of Exercise

Wannabebig Member
    Ya thanks alot for all the great advice guys.. what could I do on my off days though? like just cardio?