The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Am I strong?

Wannabebig Member

Am I strong?

Hey guys,

I'm new, but not to lifting. I want to get serious about powerlifting, esp on my bench.

I weigh 134lbs ( I have a couple lbs of excess fat so I am usually 132 or under ) and can press 235lbs. How does this stand up? I am 21 and a college student, but my school has no team.

Anyone here live in CO? Any events or clubs I should know about?

Thanks
    Moma said knock you out! HUH!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

235 is awesome at 132 man! how bout squat and deadlift, or do you just want to do bp only?
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Wannabebig Member
    To be honest I haven't really done much deadlift, and the squats that I do I have never gone over 225 for 10 reps, but I haev the strenght to do more. I have mild scoliosis and am afraid I will mess my back up, so I don't really mess with the other 2.

So 235 is awsome? I thought it wasn't that great, lol. What are the best at my weight class putting up?

Wannabebig Member
    Also I should mention, my 235 max is without use of a bench shirt. Do they really make a difference? What kind of gain could I get using one?

Thanks

235 BP is respectable, but to me, strength is all about the deadlift and squat

Wannabebig Member
    So what is it? First I'm told awsome, now just respectible.

I am 21 years old, 134lbs, I use no suppliments other then calcium, and no bench shirt.

With those detail how good am I?

And as I said before, I have scoliosis, so I will never be able to safely lift large amounts in deadlift or squat without serious risk of injury.

Anyone else here at my weight? What do you put up?
    Last edited by superlite; 03-26-2005 at 11:40 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    One other thing, I think I'm pretty stong on the Lat pull, I do can do 220 X 10 on it, am I a freak on this?

whats the point of this thread? you just want a pat on the back? ok, then youre strong. it really depends on who you compare yourself to. if you go check the powerlifting rankings, youre extremely weak. but if you compare yourself to people at your local "fitness center" then i guess you have a respectable bench.

Wannabebig Member
    The point of this thread is to see how I compare to people in my weight class, why you being a jerk?

I'm trying to guage how well I would do in competitions which I am also trying to get into.

Is something wrong with that?

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    There's nothing wrong with it at all. I think you would do pretty well in your weight class. Your almost benching twice your bodyweight, that's really good. But for a competition, you have to be strong in all events, not just incredible in one, and so-so in the others. Work as hard as you can, but don't go beyond that to injury. Goodluck
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by superlite
    To be honest I haven't really done much deadlift, and the squats that I do I have never gone over 225 for 10 reps, but I haev the strenght to do more. I have mild scoliosis and am afraid I will mess my back up, so I don't really mess with the other 2.

So 235 is awsome? I thought it wasn't that great, lol. What are the best at my weight class putting up?
    your max lift was 235? or that is the heavisest weight you have lifted?
    if you can do 225 for 10. I would say with a little practise you may get 300 mark and may be more. which in your weight class will be very good and you can compete in local bench press powerlifting competitions very well with that.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

235@132 is a decent weight to do.
    Will you win?
    Only one way to find out.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style