Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Originally posted by the doc
    well we can be the senior citizens of WBB
    I'm a lil' tyke!
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I like the nicorette gum. It more or less helped me to quit except for the occassional falter here and there. I figure it's better gettting just the nicotine than all the other crap in the smokes.

I hate smoking cause I know it smells and it makes my cardio soo much tougher .

It boggles my mind how i used to smoke , then go off and teach an aerobic class
    picture of health I tell you, oh yeah!

bone crusher
    It boggles my mind how i used to smoke , then go off and teach an aerobic class
    picture of health I tell you, oh yeah!

boggles my mind as well!

yeah doc...i thought you was a youngun like b. *lol*

it's cool though....i'm glad your one of the grown folks up in here too.
    Last edited by Tryska; 11-30-2001 at 05:10 PM.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Well into my 2nd full day of having zero smokes...a little voice in the back of my head tried to convince me that maybe allowing myself one cigarette after training wouldn't hurt...but I squished it with my mental hammer.

Time for another piece of gum...
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

man i've tried to quit so many times, i'm so weak minded when it comes to cigs, i don't like the taste (unless it's weed ), i hate the smell (unless it's weed ), and it really kills my fitness, maybe it's time to put a bit more effort into quiting, i guess i should include the weed in that too, waaaaaaaa
    "Citius, Altius, Fortius"

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." - Bruce Lee

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Steve Prefontaine

I smoked a pack a day for 7 years, quit 4 years ago. I wasn't planning on quitting just thought I'd give it a try as a new year's resolution. Anyway what I did was a went to a hobby shop and bought a couple of car models and worked on them whenever I felt like a smoke. Drank lots of coffee too. I was off work at the time as well which made it alot easier for me.
    ...it's more friendly for trainers to say, "yeah, we can help you tone up!" rather than saying, "yeah, we can help you get rid of that fat ass!"

Anthony

I've cut back a bit on the nicorette gum and this morning only had one piece on the way in. I got stuck in a meeting all morning and didn't have a chance to grab another piece. MAN was I ever cranky when I came out of that meeting. I started snapping at everyone and just basically being downright mean. After lunch I had my second piece of the day and am now moderately sociable again...
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Continuously Dangerously
    i smoked cloves for quite a while then when i decided to get healthy i just stopped and that was it. first thing is you have to want to quit. quitting wasnt hard at all, i think anyone that cant do it either doesnt want to or is just flat out weak.

Well I'm still smoke free...i've dropped to 2mg nicorette instead of 4mg. Now I don't feel sick while I chew the sh!t...

Current FFFA Enforcer

The monkeys are listening Monkeybrains's Avatar
    I quit cold turkey about 5 months ago, the first few days were really tough but it got quite easy after that, just make sure you have plenty of stuff to keep you occupied and take your mind off smoking.

Thought I'd dig this up as I had forgotten when I quit. I'm proud to say that I haven't had a drag since I guess 12-04-01 according to this thread.

*pats self on back*

It's cool now as instead of getting cravings when ppl smoke, I turn into one of those whiny non-smokers I used to blow my smoke at.

Current FFFA Enforcer

no more smoking
    dont get too attached to the gum though.
    i remember when my dad tried to quit a few years ago, he would chew the gum and smoke at the same time..
    he knows he cant quit because he started when he was 12.. and now he is almost 54.. too many years of smoking for him
    i am glad you decided not to.. it causes so many bad things
    it might lessen nervousness, or whatever it does.. it still is horrible and everything.
    good luck
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

*hands El a smoke, "come on man, you know you want it"*
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Earning those bastard points are you Maki?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Here's my 2 cents on smoking.

"They say the first few days are the hardest!" BULL$hit, Quiting smokeing is easy, staying that way forever is the hard part!

I smoked for almost 10 years. I have 18 months now without a smoke. Its an addicition thats for sure. In order to stay a non-smoker you have to remind yourself just like a alcoholic reminds himself "you can't have just one". But after time like anything it gets easier not smoking.

I quit by using the gum for cravings...the patch works for nic fix but doesn't give you the instant satisfaction like the gum did. As for Zyban. It is actually the same drug listed above as another poster said he took Wellbutrin to quit smoking. They market it under to different names for depression and smoking. I guess they figured it works for both but they figured smokers would take a "Anti-Depression drug" to quit their habits so marketed it as Zyban. Anyway...if you decide to try that route and have insurance have your Dr. give you Wellbutrin. Reason being that most insurances will cover anti-depressants but not a drug to quit smoking. Weird the way that works. I had actually quit smoking once for like 3 weeks and my doc gave me Wellbutrin and beleive it or not the side affects were so bad "jittering" and crap that it drove me back to smoking. So, it didn't work for me, but I know others that it has worked for.

Like I said, quitting is the easy part, staying that way is the hard part. Don't get complacent, it will lead you back to smoking.

Good luck, I thank God for being smoke free!

PS. Your teeth will can go back to white again after awhile! lol

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Earning those bastard points are you Maki?
    ROFL

Wannabebig Member

Quit Smoking

I quit it has been 6 months. I dont even really have cravings anymore. I used the patch during the day. The warning on the box says if you smoke while using it you could die. That was enough for me, smoke or die. I also bought a bag of sugar free suckers in about a week it is all in your head. If a sucker doesnt apeal to you a straw works as well.

Haha...I missed the comments posted after mine.

Maki you bast@rd!

Anyway, I don't get cravings on any regular basis anymore. In fact the smell of smoke now bothers me quite a bit...yes I've turned into one of those bitchy non-smokers.

Every now and then I'll feel that a smoke would be good...but I generally crush those impulses before they can become more than a passing thought.

What I was happy with was that I didn't gain any additional pounds when I quit. Although, it seemed to make losing weight more difficult I'm still pretty much the same weight I was when I quit. One of the reasons I waited to quit was that I needed to get more active at the time. This site has been a great source of motivation. It kills boring work time and keeps training on the brain.

I have no fear or worry about going back to smoking. Some things you just realize are for the rest of your life. And smoking is one of those things I realize I don't need or want anymore.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Re: Quit Smoking

Originally posted by Justagirl
    I quit it has been 6 months.
    Way to go!

Current FFFA Enforcer

bone crusher
    it has been 3 years and 6 months for me

*hands doc a smoke*

Current FFFA Enforcer

Been a couple months for me. And I disagree that you can't have just one. I had quit for a month, had a single cigarette, and that was it. No cravings 20 minutes later, or even the next day.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I know what you guys mean about drinking causing you to smoke. Any time I'm in a bar I feel as though i need a smoke.

Originally posted by ElPietro
    yes I've turned into one of those bitchy non-smokers.
    You? Bitchy? Certainly not!!
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock