The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quitting Smoking

Ok I have decided that I will be making a serious attempt at quitting smoking. I have thought about it for some time now and have quit twice in the past cold turkey for about 4 months.

What I was wondering is if any others of you have successfully quit and if so what was your method.

I am considering cutting down on smoking, maybe cut the amount in half and substituting with nicotine gum. Then cutting down even more and maybe using a patch if I still feel cravings. I'm not sure of all the products out their and what is over the counter and what isn't. I've seen people use the drug Zaiban and have heard of it work and have also seen it fail. I haven't consulted my doctor but I'll probably go talk to a pharmacist today at lunch and get his/her thoughts on the matter. My doctor is new to me so doesn't really know all that much about me.

If any of you guys could give some suggestions that would be cool. Thanks.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I quit cold turkey a couple times and ended up going back. I haven't had a cigarette in about 6 months now. I just quit because I knew it was doing more bad than good.

My doctor put me wellbutrin to help quit smoking as well as give me more energy. It's an anti-depressant I think. Ask your doctor about it, it made cigarettes taste like crap and my cravings went down.

I did.

It sucked, but in the end it's worth it.

Basically, I just started cutting back gradually until I was only smoking 5 cigarettes or so a day, unless I went out drinking or something.

I then stopped buying them. Stopped carrying money, so I COULDN'T buy them
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

That reminds me. I had quit for months and I ended up drinking one weekend and smoked a pack of cigarettes in one night and that's what started me back on the habit.

Why does drinking cause people to crave cigarettes?

I don't know but I quit smoking for 4 months cold turkey...no cutting down just stopping...then came Octoberfest and I was up in kitchener/waterloo (where the party is at for that event) and was drinking my face off and then just started smoking like a cannon again.

Everyone was pretty pissed that I did as they were all quite pleased that I made it that far...maybe for the first little while I'll allow some smoking in bars but will try to avoid bars as much as possible.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Bah general health forum sucks...or mebbe ppl are just bein inactive today...i'm sure half you chronics smoke or smoked so help a brutha out...actually those that are still smoking need not apply...

Current FFFA Enforcer

I used to smoke.

I started cutting down by stopping in the morning (because of workouts)... and then not smoking for several hours afterwards...

Gradually I just kept having my first cigarette later and later in the day, until one day i ended up going to bed before I could light up.

*shrug*

I was over a pack a day for a full year.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Go to the doctor and get some wellbutrin. Trust me.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I never smoked and never will. I am dead set against it. I just want to congratulate you on taking the first step and wish you luck in quitting.

I had a friend who smoked like a chimney. He got hyponized once and quit just like that. Never had one again....at least as far as I know.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

bone crusher
    i smoked for 9 years
    started when i was 15
    when i quit i was putting down 1/2 to 1 pack of american spirits a day (heavy tar)

i quit cold turkey so to speak
    i used nicotine gum for the first month or so and regular sugarless gum for a while afterwards
    I would puff on a fat doobie to take care of the craving to have something in your hand
    Also the doobie did wonders for eliminating cravings. They usually would smoke for a while so it worked wonders

it will be 3 years this january and i haven't had a (tobacco) smoke since the day i decided to quit

I actually can remeber the first time I ever tried to smoke and after quitting many times.... I'm done. Being sick hasn't really let me smoke and I haven't had a desire to either (kinda weird) But it has been about a month now and I hadn't even thought about it.

wait...doc...your 27?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

bone crusher

how old did you think i was?

I can relate.

I'm trying to quit drinking right now, with mixed results.

I haven't had anything to drink since Sunday, but its damn hard not to.

Focusing on other activities and convincing myself that I have better things to do seems to work.

But it won't take much at this stage to push me right back in.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

OK I swore I wouldn't use this again... But why do you need to drink when you have ?

By the way Good job so far

Who's got ?

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Someone a little edgy that they arn't getting any ?

I haven't had any in *censored* years-- if it hasn't bothered me in that long, I can't see why it would now.

doc...not 27! *lol*

dl...it's only a big deal if you make it a big deal homie. (quitting i mean, not humping)
    Last edited by Tryska; 11-30-2001 at 04:11 AM.

Hahaha...I knew when I saw 18 replies that my thread had degenerated...

Thanks for the responses anyway...I think I'll try the gum...although I saw that nicorette is pretty fookin expensive... oh well...last time I quit I think I gained 40lbs in the 4 months I was off...but I was totally inactive at the time so now I don't expect the same results...

Doc I don't know if replacing smoking with pot is the ideal method of quitting though!

Current FFFA Enforcer

bone crusher
    ahh yes but now i no longer smoke cigs i can do all the things i couldn't while smoking

bone crusher
    tryska, did you think i was older/ younger

presumed you were younger, but really smart for your age or something.

*chooses to remain age-less*

bone crusher
    well we can be the senior citizens of WBB