Thread: Nosebleeds and Shin splints

Nosebleeds and Shin splints

Couple questions guys:

1. Lately I have been seriously ratcheting up my sessions, and been lifting constantly, along with cardio and getting up early so I can do it twice a day. I have had 3 nosebleeds today, something I used to have before I got my high bp under control. Is it getting out of hand again?

2. With all this track practice, I have serious shin splints. Other than stopping, what can I do to help them. Are they permanently damaged? What exactly are they?

Thanks for all responses, as these 2 problems bother me greatly.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I'm not running for a while. The shin splints got severe today.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

The best thing to do for shin splints is the standard rest, ice, and NSAIDs. There are exercises that can be done to reduce the likelyhood of getting them, but sometimes they will recur easily and often. I recommend no-impact cardio as a complete replacement for a fairly long period of time.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Your nose may just be dry, and thats why it's bleeding. Try putting a little vasoline up in your nostrils.

Can't comment on shin splints, cuz I get them too.

I have heard that rubbing a spoon on your shins can help, other than that I dont really know of much you can do.

Nash: Thanks, and I will take the no impact cardio (bike) option you reccommended.
    So this shin splints crap is permanent now?

Jabber: Yeah, something along those lines. When it starts bleeding, it's just so easy to get it going again.

spencer: Thanks for trying to help man.

My Exploits

no shin splints arent permanent but they do take a while to go away... when i was running track i took a month or two off after getting them
    MY RAW LIFTS
    OLD.........................................Current
    weight: 190..............................206
    Bench Press: 300lbs.......................?????
    Squat: 450lbs...............................?????
    Deadlift: 475..................................????
    Power Clean: 285lbs.......................?????

I get shin splints and this is what can cause them:
    1) Improper shoes. (Get shoes that fit correctly; made for the activity you are participating in; purchase some Insoles to relieve impact on your feet, etc...)
    2) Doing too much in too short a time/too much impact for your feet to currently handle at one given time. (Example: You suddenly start to run long distances or play sports for a long period of time that you have never done before.) You must slowly progress/build up to the activity you are doing; your feet need to get used to it. (Remember that when running, your feet hit the ground at about 5x your body weight which puts a ton of stress on your shins. =/ )
    3) Overuse of Calf Muscles.
    4) Improper jogging mechanics. (Maybe you jog/run on the tip of your toes instead of heal to toe, causeing unneeded stress to the shins.)

I may be missing some info but this is all I can think of atm.
    I got some new shoes and insoles the other week and they have helped reduce the stress to my shins. The best thing to do is let them heal for a week or two and then take it slowly in your activities; stretch your calf muscles before doing any physical activities, it is supposed to help. It sucks to have shin splints but if you keep pounding down on them, they will turn into stress fractures which is 10x worse and takes months to heal.
    Weight: 150 lbs.
    Height: 5'7"
    Metabolism: Too Fast!
    Hobbies: Gym.
    Started working out at gym: 8/1/04

Thanks mucho guys. Will take the smart advice given. I want to play basketball (for cardio) soooo bad, but I'll let my brain take over on this one. Bike, here I come. For those of you who read my journal, you'd know that I hit the activitys quite hard (track) and I'm a fairly big guy who hasn't ran in years. That would be the reason for them.

BTW, my shoes are dr. schoal's

My Exploits

I get shin splits also. The best way to avoid them is to slowly build up in your activity.

About a year ago when I was running I made the jump from 1.7 miles to 5.1 miles every day. Needless to say I got horrible shin splits and all kinds of ankle pain. They were so bad I had to stop running. I tried to take a week off and they were still there, two weeks and still no such luck, three weeks and nada, I think I remember taking about 6 weeks off and I still had problems when i tried to run again. As a result I quit running. The problems are long gone now though. The best way is to just slowly build up, especially with running, it's such high impact. Good shoes help a ton. Also make sure you are running correctly. Try to keep good posture while running also.

stay away from carbonated beverages..they will mess with your calcium levels, which are crucial to keeping the shin splints away. you may even want to start a calcium supplement. treat the shin splints with ice..rub the ice on there, sont hold a bag against your legs. someone mentioned freezing water in a paper cup, then tearing it away bit by bit and using the cup as an ice applicator.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

for me, when i got shin splints, it was the darn shoes. i replaced the cheap lousy old-model pair of asics with one of the new reebok running models and no problems even after increasing running to 4 days a week.

Stay away from NSAIDs if you can, too. They can interfere with protein synthesis, which means you continually re-injure the area because it might not heal properly.

They're good for short-term management of acute pain. But I don't think they're wise when you're trying to heal an injury of this nature.

My .02

As far as your nose bleeds and bp are concerned. I just have this to add....

Hittin the weights is going to cause your body to produce more test, thus slightly more bp. You are working otu twice a day, so its safe to say your levels are PROBABLY elevated to higher than what you are used to.

Also, just working out in and of itself raises your bp WHILE you are exercising and for a short time after during recovery.

Those 2 factors alone could be the cause of the nose bleeds. Just stay hydrated and your mucous membranes will love you for it. Remember this, if you feel really thirsty and think youre getting dehydrated, its too late you already are. Drink more water even when you arent thirsty. Try controlling your breathing too. WHen you work out whether it be cardio or weights, breathe in slowly thru the nose and out thru the mouth. Less air travel thru the nose will keep it more moist and as an added bonus can help keep your heart rate down and help with the bp,

Just thought Id throw in myt advice about nosebleeds. From personal experience and how I stopped my nosebleeds was simple.

Stay hydrated (lots of water) This i Found was key.

drink milk, as weird as it sounds it makes more mucas production in your throught/nasal passages and will keep your nose hydrated.

these 2 stopped mine... Hope it helps you....

cut block extraordinaire
    someone mentioned freezing water in a paper cup, then tearing it away bit by bit and using the cup as an ice applicator.
    this is what really helped me during football season

Wow, you guys are great. Thanks alot to all, each and every contribution has helped me.

Shansen: That never crossed my mind. That could be my unexplained high bp, all the test running through me.

Nosebleeds have stopped, doc thinks I broke my nose with a bball that I got hit with 2 weeks ago. Bp under control with meds, shins getting better. Headed uphill, everybody!

My Exploits