Thread: Really frustrated; don't want to give up but don't know what to do

Really frustrated; don't want to give up but don't know what to do

I have been working extremly hard and I have been struggling so much with my abbs. I'm getting really frustrated and it almost seems like all my previous work is for no reason. It's so frustrating I don't know what to do.

I'm having many problems with my abbs. I'm not sure if I'm doing it incorrectly or not. I'm not a big guy, but I was holding a 35lb DB behind my head on a ball and was doing many reps (didn't want to do high numbers, but I was experimenting around). I can't go much higher without dropping the weight because it's hard to grip them (it would also toss me off balance). I can't use plates because after the 25lb plate (on my chest) it's too big for my body, and behind my head I will probably lose my balance. I don't know what to do; DBs on chest? Do many people do this? I was doing 35lb and didn't feel much--maybe I'm doing it wrong.

What's the difference between a crunch and sit up? Sit ups are all the way up (to your bent knees) right? I think I will try crunches because the weight won't be such a problem then. I think I might feel the burn better, but I don't know what to do.

It's very frustrating, and I don't want to give up, but I need some help right now. I also have problems with my left arm and bodyfat. My left arm is much smaller than my right, and when flexed it looks like a shrimp. Also, lots of my BF is where my tricpes are on both arms, so when I flex with my left it looks pretty bad. I don't know what to do; how to fix this?

Please someone help me, I've hit a deadend.
    Last edited by PhilsterT; 03-22-2005 at 09:03 PM.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

getting abs is about diet.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange357
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

getting abs is about diet.
    I believe his problem is about how to place/hold the weight during crunches, not how to get a six pack.

Also, Phil, part of your imbalance of arm size is due to genetics but all you can do is just keep lifting, keep eating a lot and resting a lot, and the arms should even out a bit more. But other than that, it's not really under your control.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-22-2005 at 09:11 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Well, it's more of the fact that I don't feel my abbs working hard at all because I don't know where I should be holding the weights. My abbs won't magically grow because I'm eating well if I don't do the right type of lifting.

Yeah, what fixationdarkness said. I just don't ever feel my abbs getting tired (or that lovely burning sensation).
    Last edited by PhilsterT; 03-22-2005 at 09:12 PM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    Well, it's more of the fact that I don't feel my abbs working hard at all because I don't know where I should be holding the weights. My abbs won't magically grow because I'm eating well if I don't do the right type of lifting.
    Actually, what Orange was saying is that if you have a low Body Fat %, you'll pretty much have a six pack no matter what.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

take a towel and a 25 lb plate and hold it on your head

I'm afraid that will crush my skull. The weights at our gym arn't smooth. They have all these designs in them and make the weight shape inbalanced.

Can you show me a picture of this just in case; maybe I'll try it.

I don't think my BF is super low, because I some areas, like my chest, triceps, some on stomach, have a little bit of jiggly. But I'm definitley a skinny person.
    Last edited by PhilsterT; 03-22-2005 at 09:15 PM.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../WtCrunch.html

difficult to see, but place the weight behind or on top of your head....hope this helps

can you get your BF measured? there are skinny-fat people out there - people who look skinny but have high amounts of bodyfat.

My BF is definitley not high, I can guarantee that. I do a lot of cardio, eat resonably well, etc. The trainer at the gym didn't want to check my BF because he said it would be a waste. If I was to guess I would say...between 10-15%. There's virtually no fat on my legs, not much on my back, but some on my chest, triceps, outside pecs.

abs are alla bout body fat.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie500
    abs are alla bout body fat.

And size. The smaller any muscle is, the harder it is to show when reducing bodyfat, especially abs. THe larger it is, the more easy it is to show when one cuts. Also, more impressive.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Getting strong abs and getting visible abs aren't the same thing. Yes, it can be loosely argued that bigger abs help the appearance, but for most people this won't make any difference.

If you want stronger abs, there are other exercises that might help you increase the resistance and not worry about balance. Janda situps, barbell rollouts, etc.

If you want visible abs, reduce your body fat. Most people start to see some abs around 10%, but obviously this varies because of genetics.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I can see my abbs now, but there just small because there not getting much bigger. My BF is pretty low, so I can see my tinsy-bitty 6pack, which is not even a real one. I just want to make the muscles get bigger.

Do people really like Janda situps? I don't know if I get this: So I put a BB between my legs pull in on it as I'm doing a situp?

Are Barbell rullouts hard?
    Last edited by PhilsterT; 03-23-2005 at 06:58 AM.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    if you want the ab burn feeling and arent getting it with your current crunching, perhaps switch to a different ab exercise...
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

I have a lot of different ones I do. I think it's that I just don't know where to play the weight yet.

I tried some BB pullouts, or whatever, and I know I'm not doing them right. My form sucks so I didn't feel anything.