Thread: Sit-ups, good or bad? Also, how to do them?

Sit-ups, good or bad? Also, how to do them?

I've heard that sit-ups don't work your abs, that they work your hip flexors. Is this true? And if it's not, how do you do them most effectively? (with added weight)

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Yes, situps can usually hit the hip flexors as synergists. If you do situps on a decline bench, then yeah, it can definitely work your hip flexors even more. But who told you that situps don't work your abs? Whoever told you that needs to be punched. Of course situps work your abs (as long as you do them correctly).

Currently, I'm not strong enough to really add weight to my situps, but if you want to, just hold a plate on your chest and that should do. I just do 2-3 sets of about 20 reps 1-2x a week. Soon though, I will begin adding weight. I should probably start adding weight now actually.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-21-2005 at 10:26 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

does anyone know how to do a jhanda sit up, ive heard that guy pavel really likes it and that it targets the abs REALLY well, no idea if thats true though.

fighting Kryptonite
    Ann Arbor, MI during school...Niles, MI for now
    try working on crunches instead of situps. That can focus more on your abs and really help...also try them on decline or on a medicine ball (feet on the floor, knees bent at a 90 degree angle) and add weight to either of those if you can...good luck
    Lady, I fully expect to see you in the next issue of Powerlifting USA with at least a new world record for your weight class. Make it happen. - Guido

let's see how much this girl can lift...looking for the strength I know I have...
    The Journal...

how far up should i come on a crunch?

fighting Kryptonite
    Ann Arbor, MI during school...Niles, MI for now
    as far as you can without pushing yourself to hit your chest to your knees like situps...I normally roll up until my weight is completely off my back and totally on my butt
    Lady, I fully expect to see you in the next issue of Powerlifting USA with at least a new world record for your weight class. Make it happen. - Guido

let's see how much this girl can lift...looking for the strength I know I have...
    The Journal...

wouldn't it just be better to use a swiss ball so i can get full rom? or are crunches that much better?

ive heard that its best to focus on chest to pelvis for any ab exercise.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrehm
    how far up should i come on a crunch?
    I just crunch until my abs feel fully contracted and they feel like they can't crunch any further.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Isolate then integrate. I've found that many people perform sit-ups incorrectly. Once proper form is established you can start to load then appropriately.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 03-22-2005 at 04:50 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

ok, so sit-ups are ok with the proper technique.... anyone know where i might find a set of photos and a description or a video that shows true proper technique?

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    I just crunch until my abs feel fully contracted and they feel like they can't crunch any further.
    Right on.
    "And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life." Revelation 21:27

32 yrs old, 6'-0, 195lbs, 10% BF