The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Cholesterol?

Human

Cholesterol?

People always say that eggs are very high in cholesterol (the yolks at least) and are therefor bad for you. I normally eat like 2 for breakfast on sunday and 2 on saturday because I have time then to cook myself a meal. Now that I'm starting to bulk up, I'm starting to wake up earlier to prepare the same meal (2 eggs on a breading like pita or begal with V8 juice). Will this promote an unhealthy level of cholesterol?
    If it does, what is something else I could eat as a morning meal?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

use the search and u should find plenty of answers to ur question.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Human
    Ok from what I just read dietary intake of cholesterol has nothing to do with the cholesterol in the blood as it is mostly genetic. Genetically, I have very good cholesterol so I'm gonna go ahead and eat 2 eggs a day unless someone posts ptherwise.

sounds good to me. search function is ur friend

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Cholesterol is more highly associated with excess carbohydrate than with dietary intake of cholesterol-rich foods, since cholesterol is made by your own body.

Mine used to be high enough to medicate. Now that I have better control over my macronutrients and lift weights (which also brings it down), it's enviably low.

Wannabebig Member
    My *somewhat limited* understanding of nutrition tells me the production of cholestoral (the dietary part where we can control) is from the fats we ingest, where trans & sat fat raises the bad (trans lowers the good too) and mono raises the good cholestoral.

What does carbohydrates have to do with it?

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    My cholesterol was very low until a year or so ago when I switched to an almost Atkins-like diet and it spiked WAAAAY up. While my ratio remained excellent, my overall number is bordeline SUPERHIGH. My doc told me to bring it down using veggies and carbs (oat-bran and such). I'm working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by hyoogeness
    My *somewhat limited* understanding of nutrition tells me the production of cholestoral (the dietary part where we can control) is from the fats we ingest, where trans & sat fat raises the bad (trans lowers the good too) and mono raises the good cholestoral.

What does carbohydrates have to do with it?
    Your liver makes cholesterol.

Guess what it makes it out of?

Eggs (the yolk) have high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. This is good cholesterol. Low density lipoprotein (LDL) is the bad stuff. The liver and intestine produces most of the HDL in the blood stream, which picks up cholesterol from dying cells and other sources. It does this in order to excrete it.

To answer you question, two eggs in the morning is fine for you.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 03-24-2005 at 11:54 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Your liver makes cholesterol.

Guess what it makes it out of?
    put down your atkins bible and pick up a textbook if you wanna respond in such a manner

Quote Originally Posted by hyoogeness
    put down your atkins bible and pick up a textbook if you wanna respond in such a manner
    I'm going to back built up on this one, and I'm pretty sure she isn't exactly bowing down to preacher Fatkins

Each day, our cells produce approx. 875 mg of cholesterol.

With respect to diet, we consume about 180-325 mg from animal-derived food products (of course this number is probably higher for bodybuilders)

The main building block for the synthesis of cholesterol in the body is ecetyl-CoA, a derivative of acetic acid, which is the smallest fatty acid.

The source of the needed carbon, hydrogen, and energy to make cholesterol includes the carbohydrate and protein the liver takes up from the bloodstream (from food we eat)

So, that is exactly what carbohydrates have to do with cholesterol synthesis.

Make sure you have done proper research before repsonding in such a manner.

You are partially correct in saying that trans fat raises LDL and lowers HDL.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 03-25-2005 at 12:25 AM.