Thread: Squats...

Wannabebig Member

Squats...

Ok, I do not have a squat rack. Should I just put a relatively light weight on the squat bar or would dumbells work? I have to get squats in my workout. Also, I am doing deadlifts with a regular bar, is that fine? I know there is the trap bar and I have heard it is so much better...

no bar is so much better (i guess advanced people have their preferences, but if your newb then a dl w/ a regular bar is still really, really good). i'd do the dumbbells, the amount of weight you're gonna be able to get over your head into position won't be (probably won't be anyways) enough to do any squat work. i'd stick with the dumbbells. or maybe use a lighter weight on the bar that you can get into squat position, and do lunges w/ it instead.

Front squats are your friend.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

edited
    Last edited by jazer80; 03-28-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Squats are the best and if try to do them with whatever you've got. if you dont have the proper equipment for normal back squats you can try these variations. Granted they wont be the same as a classic squat but they can work pretty well.

front squats
    overhead squats
    zercher squats (more for core tho)
    one legged squats

besides the general squat variations you can also do deadlifts, lunges, and if need be do some hardcore sprints. they wont be the same but they'll give your legs a good work out. especially sprints up a hill or up stairs. Do a good distance, a good set of 8-10 5o or 100 metre uphill sprints will give your legs some power.

what exactly are zerchers, i havent seen on erx.net and an curious.

Wannabebig Member

Well

Wow thanks for the alternatives there, can't wait to try them out.
    March 08
    6'1 225lbs
    Bench 275lbs
    Squat 380lbs
    Vertical 31.5in

You're not going to get any Muscle In A Bottle.

Wannabebig Member
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exerc...rchersquat.htm

they are in a way like front squats except the weight is lower so you have to balance more to hold it. the fact that the weight is not suported by your arms and shoulders (as they would be in the front squat) makes you have to use more balancw eand back/core muscles to support the weight. i havent done them in a while, do some research and find out the appropriate way to go about doing them such as proper weight load.

Quote Originally Posted by asgdrew
    Squats are the best and if try to do them with whatever you've got. if you dont have the proper equipment for normal back squats you can try these variations. Granted they wont be the same as a classic squat but they can work pretty well.

front squats
    overhead squats
    zercher squats (more for core tho)
    one legged squats

besides the general squat variations you can also do deadlifts, lunges, and if need be do some hardcore sprints. they wont be the same but they'll give your legs a good work out. especially sprints up a hill or up stairs. Do a good distance, a good set of 8-10 5o or 100 metre uphill sprints will give your legs some power.
    i guess it would have been appropriate to ask what he was going for, strength/power, size, endurance, etc before we jumped in w/ oursuggestions. if he is going for power, lunges, deadlifts, and good mornings (and their variations) seem to be most appropriate. overhead squats we will still be dealing w/ way too little weight (think of how useless it would be to squat with the weight that you can safely military press...), depending on total body strength front/zerchers may be decent. if you're going for endurance or all around conditioning, do the sprinting, but don't do it thinking it's gonna build your muscles like iron will.

Wannabebig Member
    I am after power, yep, gotta prepare for football...
    March 08
    6'1 225lbs
    Bench 275lbs
    Squat 380lbs
    Vertical 31.5in

You're not going to get any Muscle In A Bottle.

work on your speed and power then. ever try westside? that's what i started in february, check the progress in my sig
    Last edited by jazer80; 03-29-2005 at 06:58 AM.

I just bought a Trap Bar aka shrug bar/cage and so far I love the thing. There is not a whole lot of information about them on the internet and I cant really give you any long term results (only had the thing for two weeks) but I can definatley feel it in my legs quads primarily. Some old school lifters would probably scoff at it cause its not a traditional deadlift or a back squat, but with out a squat rack and never seeming to quite get the deadlift right it seems to be a great alternative. With all that being said I would still prefer to do the back squat and traditional deadlifts, but given the circumstances this is the most serious replacement I could find. I can lift heavy and safely with out a spotter.