Thread: chinups of pullups which is better

Wannabebig Member

chinups of pullups which is better

just say palms facing in or palms facing out to avoid confusion.. which is "better" ? i kno palms facing in works ur biceps more.. which is better for back development?

You can progress and develop with both exercices but pull-ups (palms facing away) will isolate more your back.

Wide-grip palms facing away are better for the back. They are difficult for a reason. One day I hope to do 10 full reps.....

I still do close-grip palms facing in afterwards, at full stretch it gets the lats but my biceps usually flake out first. Gives the biceps a good workout, lifting 180lb (body) is a lot more than I do for other upperbody exercises. Probably because I'd drop a 90lb DB on my head even if I did have the balls to pick one up. :-)
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Do both.

Here's a little experiment for ya'. Do as many sets as it takes to reach 50 pullups on two different days. One day, do them palms in, the other day, palms out. The reps/set usually goes something like this for me: 10,8,6,5,4,4,4,3,3,3. Takes a little while, but when I'm done, my lats are fried. I do mine palms out. If I do this routine with my palms in, I doubt I'll be able to hit 50; my biceps would probably crap out long before.

Which feels more natural? Which can you prefer more reps with a strong contraction? Which can you progress with more easily? That's your answer.

I like to mix them up, but I'd like to know whether you guys find wide grip pullups (on the handles) hard on the shoulders/rotator cuffs? I tried them on my last workout (managed 4), and I felt a lot of pressure in my shoulder joint. Should I just avoid them?

Knew a guy in the marine corps that would start off by doing them palms facing away until he got tired, he would then switch grip to palms facing inwards (without leaving the bar which is not allowed during PT tests) and do them that way until he got tired. He went from only being able to do 2 pullups at the beginning of boot camp to doing 25+ at the end of boot camp.

I never tried it but it makes some sense on why his number increased.
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

For DokterVet:

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Sigh. Wide grip pullups does not equal wide lats. Wide grip pullups equals reduced ROM and disadvantageous position for rotator cuff.

Comfortable, regular width pullups, meaning shoulder or slightly outside shoulder width, are excellent for building lats, and much safer and more effective than the mythically-great wide grip pullups.
    Wide grip is basically useless because it doesn't activate the lats better than regular grip. Indeed, it reduces the ROM and really wide grip pullups become a static lockoff at the top of the motion for your lats while your arms and other back muscles work.

Note thay I favor using a variety of pullup/chinup grips, from outside of shoulder width to narrow, to neutral to offset. Really wide is the only grip I don't like.
    I would recommend against wide grip pullups, as they, like behind the neck presses and pulldowns, put your rotator cuffs in a dangerous position. Moreover, normal grip width pullups will actually give a larger ROM.

Wide grip != wide lats.

Thanks, MixmasterNash.
    Just out of curiosity, why are wide handles so common if they aren't really useful?

They are common because of the myth that a wide grip will give you wider lats.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

And, some people are naturally wider than others.

nuthinlikehit'em....

Pullup/chinups rule

What's up yall!!! It was said earlier but I'll add my $0.02. I usually start with the pullups behind the neck because by far those are the hardest, then I goto a regular pullup position and finish with the chinup since it's the easiest. I think most will agree in the beginning the chins are easiest to build strength to be able to do the other grips............

Also, please allow me to vent, I got to 24Hr fitness here in Los Angeles and they have the "mythical" wide bent pullup bar, WHICH I HATE!!!!!!!! Call it what you want but I'm partial to the good ol' straight bar like they had in school and parks back in the day. The reason for my frustration is that the new gym closer to my house has the wide bent bar and the previous gym I went to has the straight bar but is further from my house.........ugh!!! I have just adapted to the bent bar but given a choice I'd take the straight bar any day.........peace.
    Patience isn't only a virtue......it'll get you "CHISLED" if you like to workout!!!!

Success(defined by my High school Football coach) : doing a certain thing, a certain way.........everyday!!!!

Pullups behind the neck are among the worst exercises for your rotator cuffs. Worse than BTN presses. Radically worse than pullups to the front.

Skip them.

If you want added difficulty, add weight.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I am almost convinced now that chin ups work the lower lats very well, whereas pull ups work the wntire upper back. I'm probably wrong.
    Do both.

There is no such thing as the lower lats.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John