The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Do strong abs strengthen the lower back?

I was doing squats just earlier, and my lower back started to ail slightly as it usually does. I used the smith machine to test whether my stabilizer muscles were weak, but the back pain came with a smith machine also.

Just now I wondered whether this dilemma could be easily solved by doing some ab work. The abs are opposite the lower back so perhaps they have some influence on the back's well being. I havent done any ab excersizes for about 2 years! It sounds like a good idea to do some abs, anybody agree or disagree?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    definitely work abs, wether it helps the lower back or not.

i myself sadly don't pay enough attention to my abs, and i plan on fixing this.

Doing ab work will help with lower back pain. Also, do you do lower back work? SLDL's? DL's?

I have never worked the lower back, I figured it should strengthen as I did squats but that plan of mine isnt working out too well.

You don't do deads? If not do them, and add in straight leg deadlifts into your leg days for your lower back and hams.

I will try as you have advised. Working my abs in combination with deads. My lower back will be glorious, nothing short of Athena herself will be able to withstand the ensuing greatness.
    Last edited by Davor; 03-26-2005 at 09:56 PM.

lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Davor
    It sounds like a good idea to do some abs, anybody agree or disagree?
    yes defently do abs and also work your lowerback by doing some deads, a strong core will help you in alot of your lifts plus the ladies like nice abs
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Abs wont strengthen the lower back itself, but they will strengthen your core. That in turn will take less stress off your lower back. So its very important to have strong abs as well as a strong lower back. Your core is used in most all exercises. I didnt realize it as much until I herniated some disks in my back. Now I can feel the importance of a strong core.
    "You have to examine your heart and know exactly why you want to transform into a beast; it's your deep hatred for this disgusting world. Leave behind your former self for vultures to tear apart and fuck the minds of the "girls" and "guys". We wild carnivorous beasts are your only peers. Destroy everything, then destroy the remainder of what you destroyed." -Beast

Cult Leader Of The "KILL THAT SHIT" Administration

Current Lifts:
    Bench: 400 (Just short of lockout) (405 COMING SOON!!) 225x27 275x17 300x10.5 315x11.75 330x8 335x6 365x3.5 (all raw)
    Deadlift: 405x12, 510 off the floor, 575 from lowest setting on power rack
    Beast Lift (a deadlift with the bar behind the legs): 590 off the floor,730 off the power rack on lowest setting
    Incline Barbell Press: 375lbsx1 (raw) 275x13.5 225x20.75 315x6.5 335x3.5

Stats: 5'8 195-200lbs 18 3/4 inch arms (cold and flexed) 49" chest and 26" legs

Banned
    hey walking beast, did you invent 'the beast lift' is that even healthy. should i try it.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy
    hey walking beast, did you invent 'the beast lift' is that even healthy. should i try it.
    No, he didn't invent it. That's called a Hack Squat. And sure you can try it. Lots of people like them.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy

ThanX for asking! Yea, even though it looks and sounds like a hack squat Ive added a variation in the way I do the lift. Its a deadlift with the bar behind the legs basically, but I dont squat the weight up, like the hack squat. When I do the lift its mostly lower back extention, and having long arms helps with it as well. It was awkward at first, starting from the floor, getting the balance, but its easily my strongest freeweight lift. Doing them off the power rack felt very natural. I wouldnt reccomend the lift though, Im pretty sure that how I ended up really hurting myself. I new I was taking a chance using that variation, but I liked it so much. Leaning back with 730lbs cant be good on the spine over time though. I eventually herniated 2 disks in my back from a combination of deadlifting, beast lifts and benching. I was deadlifting ALOT. Back sessions were 5-8 hours long once a week. I took my time, long rest periods, but over 30 heavy sets of back work. And close to half of it would be deadlifts and variations. I made a whole day out of it. I did the for 14 months, and I got much stronger. I went from 405 to 510 off the floor and brought my beast lift to nearly 600 off the floor, and 730 off the rack on the lowest setting. But it caught up to me. Looking back deadlifts have only limited me. My form was never great, though I always tried to look up while doing them, but I was always pretty hunched. As much as I loved deadlifts and beast lifts, I would have been better off doing heavy hyper extentions and shrugs to build those areas. I just got caught up in the addiction of adding plates on the bar. Everything else became blurred. Ignoring pain and just going all out. I wouldnt reccomend the beast lift variation. The barbell hack squat, maybe. But even that has chance for injury especially if you use more low back then legs. Thats similiar but you squat the bar up with your legs more. Ive never done it that way. Deadlifts might be worth adding into your routine as they can strengthen and build the whole body, but I dont reccomend you become as fanatical over them as I did. It can be hard, but you might want to only do 6 main sets once a week, moderate volume. Also make sure your form is really good. I just wanted to get the weight up, and as a result my form was just whatever it took. I dont reccomend that unless you want to mess up your back! You can read up on deadlift form with simple search. Id practice that alot before you start trying the heavier weights. I could have got more size with heavy hyper extentions and shrugs though. So deads arent necessary. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Walking Beast; 03-27-2005 at 05:43 PM.
    "You have to examine your heart and know exactly why you want to transform into a beast; it's your deep hatred for this disgusting world. Leave behind your former self for vultures to tear apart and fuck the minds of the "girls" and "guys". We wild carnivorous beasts are your only peers. Destroy everything, then destroy the remainder of what you destroyed." -Beast

Current Lifts:
    Bench: 400 (Just short of lockout) (405 COMING SOON!!) 225x27 275x17 300x10.5 315x11.75 330x8 335x6 365x3.5 (all raw)
    Beast Lift (a deadlift with the bar behind the legs): 590 off the floor,730 off the power rack on lowest setting

How is your back now Beast? when you hurt your back was it like a "pop" while you were lifting or did it happen slowly over time?

I used to have chronic lower back pain until I started taking abs really seriously. Since then the problems I had with my lower back cease to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by SalahG
    I used to have chronic lower back pain until I started taking abs really seriously. Since then the problems I had with my lower back cease to exist.
    That is great news. I am counting on the same results. Now that I think about it, my lower back has had less pain since I have started doing dead lifts and abs more often.
    "And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life." Revelation 21:27

32 yrs old, 6'-0, 195lbs, 10% BF

Quote Originally Posted by Davor
    How is your back now Beast? when you hurt your back was it like a "pop" while you were lifting or did it happen slowly over time?

ThanX for asking!! It doesnt seem to be getting any better at the moment, so Ill have to wait and see. Herniated disks dont heal so easily I hear. My back has been torn up over many injuries. I would take hot showers and ignore the pain aslong as I could but it got progressively worse. My first main injuries were over a year ago. I injured my back twice in one week. First I attempted a 600lb beast lift off the floor and felt something pull in my back. Was hard to walk straight afterwards. That was my lower back. I could barely
    get out of bed for a few days. Then 6 days later I decided to max on the bench and felt something crack in my upper back. That put me out for nearly 2 months. It took a while just to get range of motion back so I could bench. Then for a year after that I was benching heavier and heavier. I feel thats what eventually herniated the disks in my mid back. I was feeling pain and other sensations in that area but kept fighting through. Eventually it caught up to me. So most of it was over time. I think the 14 months that I went crazy deadlifting set the stage for all the injuries to come.

Current Lifts:

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Beast
    . Back sessions were 5-8 hours long once a week. I!
    that is hell of long time
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Quote Originally Posted by body
    that is hell of long time

Yea I made a day out of it

Current Lifts:

Banned
    oh i always thought the hack squat was in that hack squat machine thing, but i see now that they are pretty much the same. except the machine is tilted back.

Without good abs a strong lower back is nothing.
    6'2 206