The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

scared of big squats... any ideas?

hey all

I've been doing squats for awhile... makes me sore as hell, but i'm getting better at them. Using a rack, towel wrapped barbell, back belt, and good shoes. I've got no reason to fear the equipment. I warm up with 135x10, then go to 185 x 8, then 205x8... i then rack up 225 and go down, full ROM, and for whatever reason, i get freaked out. It's like my body says, 'whoa, this is gonna hurt' and I can't bring myself to do another rep. It's happened the past two leg days.

Since it's in a rack, i thinking i'll put up 135 and see what it's like to get out from under it... Its a psychological thing, but how do i get past it?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

what exactly are you afraid of? If your afraid of not being able to do it just set it down in the rack.... I've had to do it before.... just make sure your bars are positioned right and set it down....

If it's fear of injury then take it slow go from 205-210 or 215... then try 225 next week or something....
    Last edited by ozzyman; 03-25-2005 at 09:40 PM.
    My Journal

My Pictures and Stats

From Boondock Saints
    Conner MacManus: Jesus! He brought a six-shooter! Murphy MacManus: There were nine of them, you retard! What were you going to do with the last three, laugh them to death? Funny man?

not being able to get it back up to rack it up... i hit a sticking point and it freaks me out. it's weird i know. any help would be apprecaited.

you're using a rack like this? http://store1.yimg.com/I/exercise_1837_3943484 If not get spotter.......
    Last edited by ozzyman; 03-25-2005 at 09:41 PM.
    My Journal

My Pictures and Stats

From Boondock Saints
    Conner MacManus: Jesus! He brought a six-shooter! Murphy MacManus: There were nine of them, you retard! What were you going to do with the last three, laugh them to death? Funny man?

I am in the same boat, just getting used to the adjustment to Barbell Squats. After doing them though, the next day is it normal to have pain in my knees...Should I be worried my form isn't right?

pain your knees?? You might be bringing them too far infront of your toes during the move or they might be going to far out to the side
    My Journal

My Pictures and Stats

From Boondock Saints

yeah, that's the rack. and i've got a spotter.

if you're knees hurt make sure they don't go out past your toes... it seems to have helped me...

would wrapping the knees help with stabilization?

kd

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyman
    pain your knees?? You might be bringing them too far infront of your toes during the move or they might be going to far out to the side
    ya it's like I pulled something..I practiced the form multiple times with just the bar. I think my knees are just adapting to the exercise...Not too sure

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoDude

if you're knees hurt make sure they don't go out past your toes... it seems to have helped me...

kd
    I am just gonna take it easy...I did max what i was capable of doing the first time..That probably explains it!

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoDude

kd
    Hey if thats the type of rack you're using don't be afraid at all..... just try and get the weight up and if it won't go than set it down on the rails.... I use that type of rack and never have a spotter on my squats... i have had to set the weight down on the rails a few times.... no biggie.....
    My Journal

My Pictures and Stats

From Boondock Saints

I've been afraid before every leg workout I have ever had. Not afraid of injury or failing, just afraid. It comes with the territory. Put yourself in a situation you feel most comfortable (spotter, rack etc) and just do it.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

The knee thing - try box squats for a bit. Might make you less nervous, too.

Put a low seat or bench a little too far behind yourself, so you kinda have to reach your ass back to sit on it.

Gradually, you'll need a lower and lower seat, until you're just squatting properly.

Remember: ass out, chest out. Face forward.

I remember hurting my back one time, and was afraid to even touch the cage for nearly 2 months. Alot of it is in the mind. One way you can overcome this is (like ozzyman had mentioned) to go with 5-10lbs increments... adding the weights too quickly was how i shamely got my back injured in the first place.

thanks for the info guys.

Practice failing. A max attempt is not the time to learn how to drop the bar on the pins.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Its about the naked thing! FireBug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Practice failing. A max attempt is not the time to learn how to drop the bar on the pins.
    Exactly, if you are not conforatable, you should practice dropping the bar.
    Stats:
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 198lbs
    Current Cycle: Cut

Goals|Current
    ATF Squat: 350lbs|315X2
    DB Bench: 120|105X4
    DL: 450|345x8

Banned
    Dude...Just ****ing crush it out...grab some tunes...or get dumped by ur g/f and then push that ****...

Wannabebig Member
    kempo, exactly the same fear happened to me (at a lower weight). totally freaked me out. so the next week I squatted about 50 lbs lighter and really concentrated on my form. then I increased about 10 lbs a week always concentrating on form. When I got back to my fear weight I was completely determined to conquer it. It worked and I have been able to increase weight past it without the same fear.
    began wt. trning Jan 2004
    Before I was 52 years old, I didn't know squat.

Hmm a form thing for some of you it seems. Probably the same for me.
    I am just 'afraid' because of my history of joint injuries, my hip and knees sometimes seem like they are going to explode out of my skin. Really sucks.

This will probably sound stupid, but I have on my wall at home, wriiten in black texta right in front of where I squat a sign that I stare at while squatting. All it says is: THEY ARE ONLY SQUATS!! It seems to work for me. Pretty dumb, huh?
    Give me DOMS or give me death

bone crusher
    i had to get out of the this psychological mode a while back at about the same weight

step up really slow to 225 by starting at 180 with 1 or 2 reps and adding 5-10 lbs ech time. Rack a different set of plates, more 5s and 10s for emample so your head is not seeing the two 45s a side and flipping out.

Now I have had no trouble since then but I expect once i hit 315 (3 x 45s a side) I will again.... something about loading those 45s...lol

If i load the bar with 25s, 10s and 5s. It seems as though the bar is more balance, but then again, this could be psychological.

I like the idea of practicing failure. seems to be what i do everywhere else .

So, here's my plan. Rack up 135, go into my squat, and set the bar down on the pins. Sounds easy enough... do i put the pins where i normally would, just below my full ROM or one hole higher so i don't injure myself?

thanks for helping a stupid n00b...

Biggie Smalls
    Man, maybe you're just weaker in certain vital spots. Try to identify those (if any) and focus on building those and gaining confidence in those areas. Otherwise man, I'd say read a lot of literature about correct for for squats and tips try to visualize doing it in your head over and over again should really help a lot, especially if your not having any real physical problems.

Jon 'Cra-Z' Mahoney
    ----------------------
    Current stats: | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 183.1lbs. | Left bicep: 13.9" | Right bicep: 14.2" | Right forearm: 12.8" | Left forearm: 12" | Left quad: 23" | Right quad: 23" | Hips: 40" | Waist: 32.5" | Left calf: 14.1" | Right calf: 15" | Chest: 40" | Shoulders: 48.3"
    (All as of October 4th, 2006, except weight is as of November 13th, 2006.)
    Recovering from a broken leg, just getting back to legs.

Personal bests:
    Bench: 230 lbs. (10/20/06) | Squat: 405 lbs. | Deadlift: 405 lbs. (10/23/06)