The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

questions....cant lose weight

Iím a 25-year-old female with a long history of eating disorders.
    I started working with a trainer in August and Iím not getting the results I expected.
    I weight train two days a week, and do an hour cardio 5 times a week.
    My calorie intake is b/n 1050-1150.
    30% fat
    40% carbs
    30% protein
    I use fitday and I plan my meals.
    Iím really frustratedÖIíve only gone from 22.5% body fat to 19.8%
    My goal is to be at 15%. Some tell me that my calorie intake is too low and that Iím in starvation mode, my trainer does not agreeÖ.and neither does my doctor. I had blood work done and my thyroid is ok.
    What do I need to do?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Is your fitday public? We might be able to see a little better.... Are you counting calories for EVERYTHING you put in your mouth including drinks? Pop, Gatorade, coffee/tea with milk or cream ect all can add up to 1000's of calories a day. What did your thyroid test come back as? TSH "normal" levels have been changed quite a bit in the last year and most Dr's are not up to date. Are you hitting your target HR during your cardio not just going through the motions? (Target HR 156 for a 25 year old I think)...

Help here people

what is your current weight and height?
    unless you are genuinely a tiny person, i can not recommend consuming as little as you do - but then again, i am neither your doctor or trainer.

there is a good link at the top of this forum (and sooooo many other threads that can be found thru the search function) on the importance of refeeding. if you are not already incorporating refeeds into your week, it sounds like you should start. i think 22% is a healthy body fat for a woman, but of course we are always trying to look better.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Trying to learn on the fly
    have you tried adjusting your ratios? your body may not respond well to your current ratio. also, what is your weight? i only ask because your calories may be a a little too low

My personal feeling is that 5 days a week cardio on this few calories is a recipe for disaster. Perhaps consider switching doctors and trainers.

Wannabebig Member
    Im 5"2, 132-135, bf tested w/ infered (sp?) was 19.8. I started out at 22.5.
    I count everyting I eat....even black coffee...
    Everyone I talk to says that Im in starvation mode with my calorie intake and activity level. Im brainwashed with the low cal and lots of cardio thing.
    Im working on getting my cals to at least 1200 everyday, and Im changing the ratios to lower on the carb, higher protein...
    I do intense cardio, I start at a low level, and go up every 3 min. Thats how my trainer has me doing the elliptical, bike, and treadmill.
    I can run a mile in under 8.5 min.
    I do step two times a week.

These are some of my days from fitday

Calories Eaten Today
    source grams cals %total
    Total: 1056
    Fat: 31 282 28%
    Sat: 8 74 7%
    Poly: 4 38 4%
    Mono: 8 71 7%
    Carbs: 125 435 43%
    Fiber: 16 0 0%
    Protein: 75 299 29%
    Alcohol: 0 0 0%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calories Eaten Today
    source grams cals %total
    Total: 1084
    Fat: 25 224 21%
    Sat: 7 64 6%
    Poly: 3 24 2%
    Mono: 3 31 3%
    Carbs: 138 487 47%
    Fiber: 16 0 0%
    Protein: 83 333 32%
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Calories Eaten Today
    source grams cals %total
    Total: 822
    Fat: 20 180 22%
    Sat: 4 39 5%
    Poly: 3 30 4%
    Mono: 5 41 5%
    Carbs: 79 295 37%
    Fiber: 5 0 0%
    Protein: 82 328 41%
    ------------------------------------------------------

Calories Eaten Today
    source grams cals %total
    Total: 1162
    Fat: 35 311 28%
    Sat: 18 165 15%
    Poly: 3 30 3%
    Mono: 9 80 7%
    Carbs: 115 428 39%
    Fiber: 7 0 0%
    Protein: 92 367 33%
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    my results / Ref Interval Lab
    tsh 0.991 / 0.350-5.500

t4 6.4 / 4.5-12.0
    t3 34 / 24-39
    free thyroxin Index 2.2 / 1.2-4.9

well for a woman, 19.8% fat is awesome. but for 5'2, you're probably higher up in weight. this only means that you have good LBM on you. i'm surprised you can survive on such few calories. i think you're in starvation mode.

Wannabebig Member
    My LBM is 106, it was 101 before I started to lift.
    Ive been b/n a size 4-6, so Im not a fatass, just frustrated that Im not getting more lean or smaller.

i'd try this if i were you (although you'll probably freak out):
    take a week or two off from dieting, exercise, everything. eat maintenance cals for someone your weight. after two weeks, get back to doing what you're doing now. i'm pretty sure you'll see results.
    that's my opinion, but i have a feeling you wont agree.

Wannabebig Member
    I took two weeks off from 3 weeks off from lifting, b/c I had minor surgery and has a few stitches, but I killed my self with cardio....
    Im starting back up monday with lifting, but Im struggling to get in 1200 calories, I know is sounds crazy, but Ive trained my body to survive on low cal. But I have to do it, b/c what Im doing now isnt working.
    Im gonna up the cals and chill with the cardio.

p.s. Im med frame.

kheili negaran nabash
    1200 misheh like 2 kabob koobidehs.
    gotta have more than that
    jk, just switch things up and see what happens

Wannabebig Member
    so you eat persian food!

actually no not really.. haha

Wannabebig Member
    Im slow...I just understood what you wrote..lol

that's ok. if you ate more you'd get it faster! jk :P

"Iím really frustratedÖIíve only gone from 22.5% body fat to 19.8%"

That is actually pretty good.
    I know you are stressing but you have to realise you have made great gains and are ahead of many other people.

anyway, listen, girls are supposed to be 20-29% fat. you're even below that. so it's gonna be really tough to get even lower, you're really going against nature. so i think you should just keep at it and look long term (i.e. get to your goal over a year)

Quote Originally Posted by persiankitty
    so you eat persian food!
    Oh yes he does!

Wow, that's all I can say.

Your thyroid is perfect, probably better than 80% of the population.

Everything seems to point to not enough calories. I don't know if "starvation mode" has really been explained here, but it's when your body takes in very little calories and because it is such a small amount the body stores everything it can, and of course when the body stores food it stores it as fat. It's a defense mechanism against starving.

Even if you are at a good bf% you can go into starvation mode and not look as well defined in the long run beaus eo fthe way the body will sote what it can.

Personally if you are not seeing the results you want to see you should get a new trainer ASAP! Some trainers are good at making people HUGE, others are great at weight loss, others are great for older folks and others are great for soccer moms looking to get out twice a week. I've yet to meet anyone that's good at all the aspects of being a trianer, so find someone else. You can always learn something new or a new person as well. Just tell your current trainer you want to switch things up with another person for a while.

Geeper, this is a common mistake made by many doctors regarding thyroid function. The tests PK shows us are not sufficient to rule out a thyroid issue. Although her TSH appears to be normal, the other tests listed are a TOTAL T3 and T4, not FREE. which doesn't show how much thyroid hormones are circulating freely in the blood and available for the tissues to use.

I totally agree with you on the starvation mode and the trainer, though. A typical problem that women face is ignorance - we are consistently told to drop our calories waaaay too low, do excessive cardio, and not focus on heavy compound lifts. No wonder so many of us become frustrated and give up when we see no results from our intensive efforts. I've been in this position myself, and it's very frustrating.

[QUOTE=Built]Geeper, this is a common mistake made by many doctors regarding thyroid function. The tests PK shows us are not sufficient to rule out a thyroid issue. Although her TSH appears to be normal, the other tests listed are a TOTAL T3 and T4, not FREE. which doesn't show how much thyroid hormones are circulating freely in the blood and available for the tissues to use.
    QUOTE]

You'd have to agree that if there was any SERIOUS problem one or more of these numbers would look a little weird as well.....

Wannabebig Member
    Im working on not going below 1150 this week.
    I think I also want to try ckd.
    From what i understand, its 5 days of low carb, than a refeed.
    But how low is low (carb)? And how high for a refeed?

Geeper, I am no expert on this. But I've run PK's numbers past somebody who IS, and was told there's not enough information there.

With maint cals as low as hers are, SOMETHING is clearly wrong. I'm not much heavier, and my maint. cals are 2300.

:withstupi
    no doubt about it

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Geeper, I am no expert on this. But I've run PK's numbers past somebody who IS, and was told there's not enough information there.

With maint cals as low as hers are, SOMETHING is clearly wrong. I'm not much heavier, and my maint. cals are 2300.
    If those three are in normal range any thyroid issue would be likely from adrenal problems or other system problems if anything. Free t3 and free t4 come into play when deciding doses, if TSH, T3, and T4 are normal then the putuitary is doing it's job, the thyroid is responding and the t4 is being converted properly into t3, there might be an uptake problem with the t3, but that's not the thyroid's problem and could be due to anything from overtraining and raised levels of cortisol to taking in to much soy which can block the uptake of t3. The ranges are quite wide to make sure anything weird would show up. If Free T4 was through the roof (or Free T3) one of the other numbers would look weird as well. For example if free t4 was through the roof, both t3 and free t3 would rise significantly. Extra free t3 and she would be in the other boat and would be loosing weight so fast she'd be eating 5000+ cals and not gaining at all.

The tests she had done would show hypothyroidism for sure, maybe not hyperhyroidism, but that's not what we are dealing with.

Sorry, I have a serious thyroid disease (almost killed me), and there is so much misinformation out there today it drive's me nuts.