The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ripptoe is kicking my ass

Well after a week since starting Ripptoe's routine I realized how accustomed my body was to my old routine and how much rest I have been missing.

I've been exhausted after every workout, especially after doing power cleans 3x5 times with only 135 lbs and this is my first time ever doing them. I feel like I'm gonna puke and pass out. I am on a cut also so that has something to do with it too.

I really do like the routine, everything get hit hard.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Good for you. That routine is famous for good reason. Hope you make some good hypertrophy and strength gains.

You gotta work up to it man. It is hard I know. After 2 months I could go to the gym 4-5 times a week and still make gains on this routine. My legs blew up like mad!

I hoping to blow up especially since im doing power cleans and squatting 3 times a week. It is tough to to get pounded in the gym on this routine and try not to overeat lol.

Banned
    eat more, sleep more and start at a lighter wieght. Drop down to 115 for cleans and work up 5 lbs/week. You'll get used to the volume.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    eat more, sleep more and start at a lighter wieght. Drop down to 115 for cleans and work up 5 lbs/week. You'll get used to the volume.
    So right. I have to get over my mental ego of dropping weight.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Sounds like its working!

Do what red spikey thing said. And then eat some more.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

what am I doing wrong? I hate to walk away after finishing the routine because I want to do more. I am using good form and doing everything complete.

Quote Originally Posted by motor head View Post
    what am I doing wrong? I hate to walk away after finishing the routine because I want to do more. I am using good form and doing everything complete.
    can you do more weight?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

not really, Im staying slightly below my 5mr like Im supposed to. sometimes im even at 5mr

hmm, well are you increasing your strength and seeing results?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

yes, only been a few weeks and I see pretty decent gains.

I felt that way also the first couple of times and then the following weekend I could feel the fatigue set it and I knew I worked hard over the week.

How's your intensity? Are you all cracked out at the gym and intense or just going through the motions and doing the workout for what it is?

With warmups you should be feeling pain.

Are you just about to fail on the last rep if every set? Because you should just barely make each set.

I only barely make the last set. Perhaps I should adjust that so it happens on all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by blaindsmith View Post
    I only barely make the last set. Perhaps I should adjust that so it happens on all of them.
    Do what works.

The idea is to get enough rest between each set so that you almost fail each time.

Wannabebig Member
    yes, only been a few weeks and I see pretty decent gains.
    so what the problem is?

Quote Originally Posted by blaindsmith View Post
    I felt that way also the first couple of times and then the following weekend I could feel the fatigue set it and I knew I worked hard over the week.

How's your intensity? Are you all cracked out at the gym and intense or just going through the motions and doing the workout for what it is?

I have no idea. I dont get the idea of intensity so I suspect I'm doing the later. What should I do? Go as fast as I can throug each set? All the weight is set so I could do it between 5 and 6 times because with the program your supposed to be just under you 5 max. IDK why, just following the directions.

your supposed to be just under you 5 max.
    No. The idea is to make progress every single workout. Granted it's better to take smaller jumps that move the weight immediately to your 3x5rm max, but if you end up there--as you will eventually--that's fine.

Tiredly going Insane
    I would think eventually your 5RM would increase over time. Whats the point of keeping the SAME 5RM through your entire lifetime of working out? I dont know about you, but I want the weight on the bar to constantly increase, and the day that I easily do my so-called 5RM is a day that I look forward to.

For example,

You 5RM at 225, with the last rep feeling like its going to fall onto your face and you will never get it off. After 3 or so weeks you lay down and just tear that 225 5RM a new ******* and nail each rep as if it were nothing, which means your 5RM will no longer be 225.

Use your Maxes as a target to surpass. If you are stuck at the same 5RM after months of training a few factors are to blame probably:

Diet
    Form
    Intensity (Are you challenging yourself? Were those last 5 reps extremely easy? If so, time to add some more weight to the bar. That's how I view intensity)
    Last edited by Mademan118; 06-26-2008 at 05:17 PM.

i raise the 5rm every week. Im just not sure about my intensity. I dont get the concept.

Are you sure you are doing your 5rm?

i raise the 5rm every week.
    Every WORKOUT.

no, every week. yes Im definately at the 5rm. I might be able to get 6 sometimes.

where can I find the routine ? I am using a variation on WBB #1. I might need to switch it up soon even though I am still going up on everything.
    I want to be a gladiator on Spartacus. Or at least be on the same cycle as them.

Measurements

Height - 6'
    Weight - 247 lbs
    BF% - 16