The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

training to jump higher

What do you guys recommend when trying to jump higher. What type of plyometrics and so on. thanks
    Never Giving In.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I haven't done much plyometric. But you should do a search, either on here or google.com.

well i'am educated on plyometric workouts. I am more looking at personal experiences. What has been the best for each person.
    Never Giving In.

i dont know much about plyometrics, but to jump higher, u need a strong lower back.

Do Explosive sets of squats&legpresses. You can also try jumps onto something at a higher elevation(i.e an old desk), when you land,go down deep and explode up again - rinse - repeat.

I am no sort of expert on this, however last Feb or march I wanted as a goal of sorts to be able to sump on to jump onto a platform at around 2" below chest height from a standstill. Got damn close while still weighing ~235 hehe(my shoes hit the table , missed by like3-4" but I was happy as I couldnt really jump for s*** prior. )
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Quads, Calves and Glutes are hella key. =^D
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

plyos are very hard on the knees and i know this from experience. the weight you put on your knees while doing plyometric movements such as box jumping can put 7 times more stress on your knees and ankles than your bodyweight alone. that number isnt exact its just really what ive learned from talking to some of my trainers, who dont really advocate plyometrics. some good excercises for plyos though are box jumping, speed squatting, fire outs with bands, doing stretch band running exercises with a wokout partner

to jump higher i would try doing some speed squats which are a plyometric excercise. they involve stretch bands. i personally love stretch bands. they are a great tool for speed/jumping/flexibility.

to be able to jump higher and run faster you need to be flexible. stretch bands are great for flexibility. if you are interested i can relate a ton of stretch band excercises and stretches to you.

try one legged squats and also do alot of calf raises.

i made a goal for myself last year to be able to dunk...so i began doing heavy leg workouts while working out with my trainer. i was able to dunk a girls ball since i couldnt palm a guys ball, then last month i injured my knee. so now im back on the same track again to be able to dunk
    Last edited by bigpoppapump979; 03-28-2005 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapump979
    plyos are very hard on the knees and i know this from experience. the weight you put on your knees while doing plyometric movements such as box jumping can put 7 times more stress on your knees and ankles than your bodyweight alone. that number isnt exact its just really what ive learned from talking to some of my trainers, who dont really advocate plyometrics. some good excercises for plyos though are box jumping, speed squatting, fire outs with bands, doing stretch band running exercises with a wokout partner

to jump higher i would try doing some speed squats which are a plyometric excercise. they involve stretch bands. i personally love stretch bands. they are a great tool for speed/jumping/flexibility.

to be able to jump higher and run faster you need to be flexible. stretch bands are great for flexibility. if you are interested i can relate a ton of stretch band excercises and stretches to you.

try one legged squats and also do alot of calf raises.

i made a goal for myself last year to be able to dunk...so i began doing heavy leg workouts while working out with my trainer. i was able to dunk a girls ball since i couldnt palm a guys ball, then last month i injured my knee. so now im back on the same track again to be able to dunk

I like the idea of bands. I agree a lot of typical old school plyometric training is rough on the knees and joints. That's what i'am trying to avoid. Also looking into training clients with bands. May be using bands soon.

I would definetly be interested in seeing some band exercises that you have used.

I too have a goal of dunking a basketball this year. lol.. Last year I didn't dab into plyometrics too much but I noticed the combination working legs, running alot and doing 1 legged squats improved my jumping ability a lot. I plan on running again soon when i'am gonna cut. Bulking right now and weighing 202 doesn't help either I guess. I can touch the rim now but can't get over it. I'am 5' 11" . I just need a couple more inches of lift
    Never Giving In.

Wannabebig Member
    Way I got my vertical from 23 inches to 34 was just jumping a lot lol, I see a fence, and I try to clear it... While being out of shape I was able to dunk, people were baffled.
    March 08
    6'1 225lbs
    Bench 275lbs
    Squat 380lbs
    Vertical 31.5in

You're not going to get any Muscle In A Bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by waynis
    I like the idea of bands. I agree a lot of typical old school plyometric training is rough on the knees and joints. That's what i'am trying to avoid. Also looking into training clients with bands. May be using bands soon.

I would definetly be interested in seeing some band exercises that you have used.

I too have a goal of dunking a basketball this year. lol.. Last year I didn't dab into plyometrics too much but I noticed the combination working legs, running alot and doing 1 legged squats improved my jumping ability a lot. I plan on running again soon when i'am gonna cut. Bulking right now and weighing 202 doesn't help either I guess. I can touch the rim now but can't get over it. I'am 5' 11" . I just need a couple more inches of lift
    bands are great. there are a ton of stretches that are awesome.
    laying on your back wrap band twice around right foot. grab band behind head with left hand. move leg sideways to stretch. do this same movement while holding with the right hand. reverse for the other leg

flat on back, band around either foot, leg vertical, knee almost locked. pull band try to touch knee to chin, go lower on each rep. go to 10.

flat on chest, band around foot, knee bent, both hands on band behind head. pull leg off the floor for 10 reps.

the next series involve the platform.

|
    \/
    lay longways on your platform with 2 bands of the same strength tied to the same end. tie a band around each foot, with feet opposite of the side where the bands are tied.

there are 2 movements for this position.
    first, both feet six inches off the ground. spread legs then bring them back together slowly. should feel a good stretch in the groin if performed correctly

the second movement is to raise the leg while straight, up and down in a slow controlled motion. the band will be pulling the leg up, so the downward motion is the concentric

Speed Squats.

using the platform, 2 same strength bands, (green or blue i would recommend) one on each side bar. place one over each shoulder while in front of something about waist high to place your hands. using a squat motion go up and down for 20 reps as fast as possible while keeping good form. these are great for endurance

i have a ton of these workouts so if you need more just ask.
    heres a site to buy some good bands. www.jumpstretch.com
    heres a guy doing a spped squat motion http://www.jumpstretch.com/SpeedVerticalJump.htm (bottom pic)
    hes also using the black platform.
    the part of the site with the platforms is down. i think im just gonna have one of the kids from my old HS to steal one for me during football workouts
    Last edited by bigpoppapump979; 03-29-2005 at 02:23 PM.

I'm willing to bet olympic lifts would help you jump higher. I also read that olympic lifters are some of the fastest sprinters off the line.

one the subject of bands, up here by my school they have sessions you can do kindda like a spinning class or whatever, but its all band exercises one session of this class was probley the hardest workout i have ever done. i do know the owner so he kindda made it more advanced then what the normal people do but anyways check and see if they off one of these classes near you
    http://www.jumpstretch.com/JSGym.htm

plyometrics are awsome, i would tell you what i do taht work well for me but i dont know what the names are just how to do them lol if i get time later ill describe a few to you haha
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Wannabebig Member
    LEGS, GLUTES, LOWER BACK, CALVES, AND ABS....

Cleans sound good.
    Last edited by EHSathlete; 03-28-2005 at 09:38 PM.
    Stats:
    17 yrs old
    180 lbs
    5'10"

Maxes :
    Squat:500
    Bench: 250
    Clean:245
    Dead Lift: 515

Running PRs (without wind):
    40m: 4.39
    100m: 10.86 FAT::::10.62 Handtime

Deadlifts worked for me.
    6'2 206

Banned
    Go to theverticalproject.com if u really want to increase your vert!

Wannabebig Member
    a few of the basketballers at school wear those ankleweights around.. but im not sure if they actually do anything or not

thanks for the info big poppa.
    Never Giving In.

Ive heard of people over 300 lbs being able to dunk simply by having strong squats and deadlifts.

Something tells me these people you heard of were probably tall. (Shaq 7'1 not some 5'6 white guy)
    6'2 206

Quote Originally Posted by Ares
    Something tells me these people you heard of were probably tall. (Shaq 7'1 not some 5'6 white guy)

Actually not, many of the people were olympic lifters and subsequently very short, I recall of 2 males specifically that were both over 270, and one over 300, and both of them were under 5'8''

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Right now, I can just barely touch the bottom of the backboard (about 5 inches under rim). Do you think if I train hard I'll be able to touch the rim, or better yet even be able to dunk (I know it would be a long ways away, but I'm willing to work for it)? I've never had a genetically awesome vertical jump, but I think it's decent. Btw, I'm 5'6" so I'm kinda short =/. One more thing, I'm sort of on a clean bulk right now, so do you think that bulking and training to increase vertical jump at the same time wouldn't work?

I know it's probably not possible, but I wanna try anyway.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-13-2005 at 10:15 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    visit www.netfit.co.uk they have a variety of plyometric excercises which maybe helpful..

Quote Originally Posted by waynis
    What do you guys recommend when trying to jump higher. What type of plyometrics and so on. thanks
    There will be an article that addresses this question in this weekends updates.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

It depends on what your doing, trying to jump from a standstill you would bend down therefor squats would help a lot. Or if your trying to reach something like a basketball hoop then id say mostly calves because you would run up and jump pushing off with your toes.