Thread: Ok, so is a Yates row overhand or underhand?

Ok, so is a Yates row overhand or underhand?

BCC was saying that a yates row is overhand, but everything I read points to the yates row as being underhand. But, in blood and guts, yates does his rows with overhand grip and not bent over very much

I wannabebig!
    i would say a yates row is either oh or uh just without bending to much maybe 15 degrees at best.

Yates used to row underhand until his biceps injury. At least that's what his book says. That might explain it.

So which one is better for lat development? underhand or overhand?

As far as I've ever known, it's underhanded at an angle of around 60 degrees (not totally sure if that's part of the definition or not).

Could be wrong, though.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 03-28-2005 at 05:30 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by Blood&Iron
    As far as I've ever known, it's underhanded at an angle of around 60 degrees (not totally sure if that's part of the definition or not).

Could be wrong, though.
    All I know is that Yates does his rows extremely upright, hardly bent over at all. Now in Blood and Guts he is doing them overhanded, but I assume now knowing he tore his bicep that the video was taken after his injury

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    All I know is that Yates does his rows extremely upright, hardly bent over at all. Now in Blood and Guts he is doing them overhanded, but I assume now knowing he tore his bicep that the video was taken after his injury
    You are assuming correctly. Yates row = underhanded. The video was filmed after the injury. After he tore his bicep he went to overhand. Something else to consider is what B&I mentioned about angles. The angle you do it may have more to do with the definition (of what a Yates row is) than the grip (although I believe it's a combination of the underhand + angle).
    Last edited by Dirt; 03-28-2005 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    You are assuming correctly. Yates row = underhanded. The video was filmed after the injury. After he tore his bicep he went to overhand. Something else to consider is what B&I mentioned about angles. The angle you do it may have more to do with the definition (of what a Yates row is) than the grip (although I believe it's a combination of the underhand + angle).
    I want to do the same exercise that yates did, becuase it obviously worked for him

Banned
    I want to do the same exercise that yates did, becuase it obviously worked for him
    It's just an exercise. Do whatever feels most comfortable, and forget about grips, angles, etc. Ultimately the difference between those variables is far less important than whether or not you perform the actual lift.

I agree, find the way you can perform the movement best. And that allows you to make consistent progress. I like them underhand better, bent over prob between 70 and 45 degrees.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    It's just an exercise. Do whatever feels most comfortable, and forget about grips, angles, etc. Ultimately the difference between those variables is far less important than whether or not you perform the actual lift.
    When you change the angle though, you take the focus off the lats. I am not doing the rows directly for my back, moreso the lats. I just wanted to know whether an overhand or underhand grip will give me greater development

Read the BB row thread by Keith W. I believe he said underhand grip hits the lats a bit harder.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Yates used to do them underhand before the bicep injury and yes, he tends to do them more upright than the 'traditional' bb row and also kept his grip a little narrower.

Underhand does give a better range of motion as it's more natural when pulling at that angle (IMHO). But I'm also guessing it does involve the biceps a bit more than the overhand grip.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Yates had extraordinary genetics and was on "gear". ANY exercise would likely have "worked" for him.

NO HE WASN'T...HE WAS ALL NATURAL AND JUST ATE ALOT! ALL THE PROS ARE NATURAL AND HAVE AMAZING GENETICS AND USE CREATINE! IT SAYS SO IN THE MAGS!

OK...I'm kidding! heh heh!

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    ANY exercise would likely have "worked" for him.
    No it wouldn't, there are several exercises Yates said himself he didn't do becuase he found they did nothing for him.

I agree that just becuase you have good genetics or use copious amounts of drugs does not gaurentee good development, it certainly helps. But you still have to find what works for you.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Banned
    I love BB ROWS!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    No it wouldn't, there are several exercises Yates said himself he didn't do becuase he found they did nothing for him.

Which ones were those? Any exercise done right will work. Some just don't work as well or take more time to show results.