Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: iPOD + Gym = ??

Hmm, i think i'm gonna get a mini ipod now. I don't wanna spend $199 though

Oh well i think it will be worth it, those things look sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky8713

I think they're more than $199. Mine was $239 on sale about a month ago. I've got some cool stuff, but this thing is by far the coolest thing I have. If you love your music, the ipod can't be beat. Hard drive space for the dollar is untouchable by the other brands.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

The 4 gig ipod mini is $199. Holds 1,000 songs. I don't need more than that, so that'll do.

Banned
    IMO iPods are a waste of money. Unless you're going for the shuffle (which has no screen) there are better options out there. Portable MP3 players existed long before iPod. Now somehow they've has become synonymous. This thread has been done to death though, do a search.

FYI if you want to look at buying an alternative, go to a site like epinions.com or anything like it.

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    IMO iPods are a waste of money. Unless you're going for the shuffle (which has no screen) there are better options out there. Portable MP3 players existed long before iPod. Now somehow they've has become synonymous. This thread has been done to death though, do a search.

FYI if you want to look at buying an alternative, go to a site like epinions.com or anything like it.
    I completely agree with that, even on ebay the ipods are still high. There are better options for your budget.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky8713

Try the Rio Carbon- more ergonomic, 25% larger hard drive (5 Gb), longer battery life, and you get to set your own equalizers instead of chosing pre-programmed ones from Apple. You can get it for around $160 now, I think. You may have to shop around. I've used and abused mine for quite a while and it's taking it like a champ.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt

ipod is a good example of how good marketing can transform an overpriced, mediocre and underfeatured hardrive+sound chip assembly into a coolness symbol.

MACHINE
    still think it's 8

I know because that was a multiple choice question on my final exam and I nailed it.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

I've had 2 MP3 players in the last 4 years... the 1st one was a 32MB P.O.S stoped working after 2 months... (no wonder it had a 30 day warranty... :-) ) the second I still use but it requires me to use an adapter to plug my regular earphones (micro connector)... (even smaller then the normal ear phones... ) so it's like a L shaped spike driving into my leg anytime I move... :-( + it's self powered - recharging on the USB port so it last mabye 2 hours... nothings worst then having the thing stop in the middle of a heavy set to FaCk you right up...

The mini's here are 249$ CND... so that's not too expensive.. and yes... part of the appeal is the whole.. " You've got an ipod... cool.." thing...

Marketing is a powerfull thing... :-) Plus honestly... I think they look great...

I really want to go get one now... I'll try to head out tonight to buy it...

thx,

Meh. iRiver's > ipods.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Quote Originally Posted by VasDeferens
    ipod is a good example of how good marketing can transform an overpriced, mediocre and underfeatured hardrive+sound chip assembly into a coolness symbol.
    Obviously, design, quality, and ease-of-use aren't worth it to some people. Luckily for Apple, pretty much everyone else disagrees.

The ipod is the superior MP3 player for playing MP3s.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    The ipod is the superior MP3 player for playing MP3s
    Based on what?
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Obviously, design, quality, and ease-of-use aren't worth it to some people. Luckily for Apple, pretty much everyone else disagrees.
    Obviously you have never used any other player besides iPod. And never read any magazine other than Maxim.

The ipod is the superior MP3 player for playing MP3s.
    I am sure you also believe that the scenes in milfhunter are real. The producer says so, it has to be.

Based on my experience, and the marketplace, and many reviews.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Obviously you have never used any other player besides iPod. And never read any magazine other than Maxim.
    Yeah, I'm dumb. I LUV MaximM!!!!! Babes and gadgets for the unlaid man!

Yeah, I'm dumb. I LUV MaximM!!!!! Babes and gadgets for the unlaid man!
    fair enough.

Well, I'm sure I'll see you user interface/portable device experts at CHI next week, so you can make me un-stupid.

am I supposed to be convinced now?

acronyms and credentials are like so cool and stuff. I also got some.

i sign off before I am told to get a room and a life.

for the gym i'd get something like the Ipod shuffle or the Sandisk one. they're really tiny and it's not like you need several hours worth of music in the gym.

but if it's going to be used for gym AND during the day, then probably get the mini or the rio carbon or the regular 20gb ipod. i think 5 gigs is pretty sufficient for most people...

screw Ipod. buy DELL. dell DJ is the way to go. ive dropped mine out of a car onto the road before, and its also been thrown against walls. definitely more sturdy then Ipod. plus it looks cooler and the interface is much easier.not to mention cheaper than ipod. i refuse to support apple products

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapump979
    i refuse to support apple products
    Any reason why?

Quote Originally Posted by _8_Ball
    My current MP3 player is falling appart and I've been thinking of getting the 4 GB IPOD mini in pink of course... and was just wondering about your experiences with them?

I'm afraid that it won't hold up in the gym?

And for the record... I did not search this topic... I wanted updated news and reviews from you guys...

Any of the iPods hold up. I had a mini then moved up to the 20 gig and both have worked flawlessly in the gym. The only thing I hate about the bigger ipods is the arms bands made for them suck. The mini has a really good band, but if your arms are bigger than 17 inches, then it won't fit.

If you are just looking for music playback/storage, iPods (mini, big, or shuffle) rule.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Dont hate the playa...hate the game!

My $.02...I've owned an Archos Mp3 player, a Rio sport, a Mini and now a 20 gig iPod

Archos:

Pros: Cheap, Decent size (6gb), USB, decent EQ for tweaking
    Cons: Bulky, lame battery life, not very sturdy, poor controls, lame headphones

Rio Sport:

Pros: Cheap, small, runs on 1 AAA, decent software to load songs, great EQ for tweaking
    Cons: limited to 256 megs of ram (about 1-15 high res songs, 320 bitrate), lame headphones, lame armband

Mini:

Pros: Decent size (4gb), great controls, neary perfect armband, iTunes kicks ass managing your music on you computer and loading to your iPod.
    Cons: Battery life was only 4 hours (newer minis have longer batter life, 8+ hours), armband (if you have arms bigger than 17 inches), price (they cost less now but still pricey), lame headphones, ok sound (I was a little dissapointed with this, but after I got a better set of headphones I was happier), lame EQ for tweaking (the presets just suck)

iPod (20gig):

Pros: More than enough space for most people, great controls, iTunes, long battery life
    Cons:Cons: armband (apple doesn't make one but the one I bought has this problem of getting bunched up and pinching my skin, same problem I had with the Rio armband), price (they cost less now but still pricey), lame headphones, ok sound (same as mini), lame EQ for tweaking (same as mini)
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

because apple people and apple products are lame and very annoying. im tellin you dell is the way to go. dells earbuds are decent too. although i kinda like the way the Ipod earbuds fit in my ears