Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: iPOD + Gym = ??

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Any reason why?
    I take issue with Apple puting form over function. Their players give pretty poor battery life, early iPods had many battery quality issues, and I don't like that they only allow pre-programmed equalizers. iPods also play a very select array of file types.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    I take issue with Apple puting form over function. Their players give pretty poor battery life, early iPods had many battery quality issues, and I don't like that they only allow pre-programmed equalizers. iPods also play a very select array of file types.
    Yeah, it really sucked that it doesn't play anything except for AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Music Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, WAV, and AIFF. Damn. Only support for the best music store, and all those "free" MP3s as well. Sucks.

Aw crap. I just looked and found out that I only have MP3s. All those useless features!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

seriously, who the **** cares about an equalized when you are lifting in the gym! If you want sound quality look into a home theater or some crap like that.

It seems like the people always dissing the IPOD's have never even used one. The Ipod is a quality product, and I would buy mine over again. I cant go a day without it.

Yeah! The colours kick ass on that crazy iPod screen.

Shuffle? Gotta love the marketing that EMPHASIZES how ridiculous it is.

Life is Random...go figure.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapump979
    because apple people and apple products are lame and very annoying. im tellin you dell is the way to go. dells earbuds are decent too. although i kinda like the way the Ipod earbuds fit in my ears

Yea, I'm sure they hate you too.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Ok battery life is not an issue now, so that point is moot. EQ still sucks so I'll give you that. Unless you want to play movies, which I dont at the gym, then the iPod plays the IMPORTANT stuff, MP3. As nash stated in his post, iPods play other files as well.

So...what are your REAL issue with the iPods.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

I would consider an IPOD if I were going to use it for more than the gym, but since I dont have any need for it otherwise, I will stick with my Creative Muvo 512mb. Holds plenty of music for the gym, plugs into any USB port (allows you to drag and drop from win explorer from and computer with no software to install), and also can be used as file transport (external HD). Got it at WalMart for $100.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

I just bought a 5 gig Rio Carbon one off of Ebay for $120. It was refurbished by the company and is in it's new sealed package being sent to my house lol. Should be good, i'm happy with that price.

seriously, who the **** cares about an equalized when you are lifting in the gym! If you want sound quality look into a home theater or some crap like that.
    Some of us aren't tone and pitch deaf, so proper eqalizers matter. Also, iPods don't only work in gyms- they also have uses at work, on the go, etc. I'm a house music fanatic- I like my equalizers set just right.

Half the files you listed which the iPods now support were not on the list for the early gen. iPods. And iPods still fall behind in battery life.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Wannabebig New Member
    I am the proud owner of an ipod. I also work at Circuit City...and know a lot about mp3 players. I like the Apples a hell of a lot more for a few reasons:

- the wheel layout is so much easier to use then the Rio Carbon, or any of the Creative Labs. The buttons make it more difficuit then the two step process of spin, press the midde button.
    - the size. Rio's are smaller, sometimes, but the bigger things, your Creative Labs, your RCA 20gigs, the Sony....they are all monsterous. The mini is about the same size as the rio - on the whole. Yeah the rio is shorter but also deeper. Mini is much skinnier.
    - the abilty to make a play list on the go. Who has a computor next to them all the time? certainly not me, thats why i have an mp3 player.
    -the screen is bigger, can fit more things on it....the Rio and the smaller guys have teeny tiny screens. Can't fit jack **** on those things.
    - the headfone jack isn't flawed. The Rio Carbon has a static problem and all the Creative Labs' have a flawed headfone jack. My brother the Zen 30gb and it's jack already is messing up after 2 months.

All mp3 players have their flaws. But the Apples aren't much more expensive. You can pick uone up for 300 (for the 20gb like i got)...only 50 more then a Creative Lab 20gb. You get the wheel, the 12 hour battery life (mine gets it at least) the nice screen, the size and the on the go playlist. Okay they don't have custome EQ, but if you don't know what your listening t, your retarted. It'd be nice but i'm not going to bitch over it. And i've never had a problem transferring a song onto my Ipod. I own hundreds of CDs and download music. I use BearShare if my buddies don't have the cd to use and not one song has come up with the abilty to not transfer over to my Ipod.

Don't forget to add the weight of the iPod to your squat.

I was told that my mini is the new release with a 12 hour battery. I bought it about a month ago, or less.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Obviously, design, quality, and ease-of-use aren't worth it to some people. Luckily for Apple, pretty much everyone else disagrees.
    Absolutely Correct.

Brand is a big factor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    Don't forget to add the weight of the iPod to your squat.
    1/2 lb every week! or however much it weighs...
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk

It seems like the people always dissing the IPOD's have never even used one. The Ipod is a quality product, and I would buy mine over again. I cant go a day without it.
    I've used an iPod numerous times. An ex-gf of mine had one. I have had several mp3 players from Rio and Creative myself. It's not that iPod isn't quality, it's just overpriced for what it is and it certainly isn't the only product in that price range worth considering. You're paying more money for at best the same product another company is putting out. If you were a smart shopper you could buy a competitor's product with rebates and bonuses and it'd still have a base price under that of an iPod.

As to the other poster referring to all creative labs players having problems with the headphone jack I've never heard anything about that. I've had three over the years and never had a problem. The current one is a zen and I've had it for years and put countless hours onto it. Also calling it "monstrous" is a pretty extreme exaggeration. It fits easily into my pockets. I think most mp3 players are at a size now that theyre all quite small. That is unless you're a 100lb girl and wants a smaller one because they're "cute".

All in all I agree with VasDeferens. If you want an iPod go ahead and buy one ,you won't regret it. By the same token, if you care about value for your money and/or buying a better player, go out and look at alternatives.

PS - The wheel interface on iPods sucks
    Last edited by Dirt; 03-30-2005 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    I've used an iPod numerous times. An ex-gf of mine had one. I have had several mp3 players from Rio and Creative myself. It's not that iPod isn't quality, it's just overpriced for what it is and it certainly isn't the only product in that price range worth considering. You're paying more money for at best the same product another company is putting out. If you were a smart shopper you could buy a competitor's product with rebates and bonuses and it'd still have a base price under that of an iPod.

As to the other poster referring to all creative labs players having problems with the headphone jack I've never heard anything about that. I've had three over the years and never had a problem. The current one is a zen and I've had it for years and put countless hours onto it. Also calling it "monstrous" is a pretty extreme exaggeration. It fits easily into my pockets. I think most mp3 players are at a size now that theyre all quite small. That is unless you're a 100lb girl and wants a smaller one because they're "cute".

All in all I agree with VasDeferens. If you want an iPod go ahead and buy one ,you won't regret it. By the same token, if you care about value for your money and/or buying a better player, go out and look at alternatives.

I did my research, I asked several times what the BEST mp3 player on the market was, ipod came up the majority of the time. I went and bought it and am very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    BAH! You just have ****ty ipod wheel skillz!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

haha @ max-mex....iPod wheel skillz are integral...i have some gangsta wheelin skillz...haha

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

**** is real
    i can't stand lifting w/o my iPod now...i don't know how they'd fair doing cardio since they're hard drive based and it may skip or have hdd errors but for lifting their awesome...i use a 20gig 4th Gen iPod and i'd buy one anyday...(i got mine from www.freesounddock.com)
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    So...what are your REAL issue with the iPods.
    ok my real issue is that Ipod are such a god damn fashion statement. everyone has a ****ing IPod. BTW dell dj plays more file extensions than IPod and has a longer battery life. fook yoo

ok my real issue is that Ipod are such a god damn fashion statement. everyone has a ****ing IPod. BTW dell dj plays more file extensions than IPod and has a longer battery life. fook yoo
    I think you have more issues then that. Relax man. I bring an mp3 player to the gym, but I've never had an iPOD. Maybe I'll get one when the price comes down.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Quote Originally Posted by zer06ame
    i can't stand lifting w/o my iPod now...i don't know how they'd fair doing cardio since they're hard drive based and it may skip or have hdd errors but for lifting their awesome...i use a 20gig 4th Gen iPod and i'd buy one anyday...(i got mine from www.freesounddock.com)
    I've used both a mini and an iPod (both on arm bands) when running on a treadmill and not once have htey skipped. They are SOLID.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

fook yoo
    nice. Steve Jobs loves you btw.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Do you guys know where to buy one semi-cheap? perhaps with a discout? new and not from Ebay?

FutureShop and bestbuy here in canada were both sold out last night... so I need ideas... I'm looking for a mini.. (as per my previous post... :-) )

Any ideas? (would like to find a place in Canada if possible)

Last edited by _8_Ball; 03-31-2005 at 07:42 AM.

Amazon.com? They usually offer great deals on just about anything. I'm not sure which stores you have in Canada so I'm not sure I can suggest much.

- the abilty to make a play list on the go. Who has a computor next to them all the time? certainly not me, thats why i have an mp3 player.
    Can the Mini make playlists on the go? That's a pretty cool feature. I make my play lists on my comp and then they're set.

-the screen is bigger, can fit more things on it....the Rio and the smaller guys have teeny tiny screens. Can't fit jack **** on those things.
    What more should be displayed on audio-players' screens? The Carbon screen is more than adequate. (I can't speak for any other players).

Okay they don't have custome EQ, but if you don't know what your listening t, your retarted.
    Equalizers are not about knowing what you're listening to- they are about hearing your music they way it's supposed to sound and the way you want it to sound.

Also, iPods- 12-15 hours of battery life at best. Carbon- 20 hours of battery life (and it actually gives the 20).

Rio has a customizable "hold" function which allows you to lock certain keys and allow others to remain usable.

I heard about the staticky phone jack on the Rio but never experienced it. I have the Sony EX71-Funtopia headphones (noise cancelling) and my music is pure joy.

The Carbon also less expensive than the Mini, has 5Gb to Mini's 4Gb, and Rio usually offers rebates.